Nolan may be the key

Number1

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-co...ys-defense-to-have-swarming-type-of-mentality

they were "swarming" last year, just couldn't make plays

this team had the #1 O in the NFL, the worst STs in the NFL, and a D dead last in the INTs
a basket case

ain't worried about MM from an offensive point of view, if MM can deal with JJ and such is yet to be seen
the biggest O problem MM has is the worst starting field position in the NFL
keep in ind Dak was 16 TDs / 0 INTs in the red zone, a with 26% TD rate per attempt
it's an O capable of 30+ a game in 2021

STs can't help but get better, wow they were bad

Nolan is a defensive coach's coach, grew up in it, the one thing we keep hearing is talent over scheme ... at least he's humble and looking at new playmakers, and or using existing players differently

still - Nolan has to flip half the D roster and put in a new system.

IMO, the Boys have to add playmakers at DL, LB, and DB this off season to make a run.
They don't have to spend a high pick on O - they can get 1 or 2 impact D players in the draft , 1 or 2 in FA
but hard to picture much useful depth in 2021 ...

just a reality check. I'll be happy if they just add 2 real DTs under 25 and bloodthirsty

I doubt the D looks smooth the first half of 2021 - if they play well down the stretch we have a shot

frankly, I don't think anyone can project how the Boys' D will perform next year

probably better than 7 INTs, down from 9 in 2018, *that's so ridiculous*
how many more likely will determine the fate of the team in the foreseeable future

erod

Reaction score
Nolan has never overseen a dominant defense in his career. Never. Average or below every time he's been given the chance.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-co...ys-defense-to-have-swarming-type-of-mentality

this team had the #1 O in the NFL, the worst STs in the NFL, and a D dead last in the INTs
a basket case

ain't worried about MM from an offensive point of view, if MM can deal with JJ and such is yet to be seen
keep in ind Dak was 16 TDs / 0 INTs in the red zone, a with 26% TD rate per attempt

Nolan is a defensive coach's coach, grew up in it, the one thing we keep hearing is talent over scheme ... at least he's humble and looking at new playmakers, and or using existing players differently

IMO, the Boys have to add playmakers at DL, LB, and DB this off season to make a run.
They don't have to spend a high pick on O - they can get 1 or 2 impact D players in the draft , 1 or 2 in FA

just a reality check. I'll be happy if they just add 2 real DTs under 25 and bloodthirsty

I doubt the D looks smooth the first half of 2021 - if they play well down the stretch we have a shot

frankly, I don't think anyone can project how the Boys' D will perform next year

how many more likely will determine the fate of the team in the foreseeable future

No doubt they need to add to the defense but I also think part of coaching is getting the most out of the guys you already have. There is some good talent on the defense who did not play up to their ability that they have shown before. He is a bit more of a risk taker with the blitz. While I do not oppose blitzing I know that you better get to the QB when you do because top QB can make you pay with quick strikes if you don't get there.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I like Nolan.. It's an unpopular opinion but I think he'll be really good but losing Byron is going to make things more difficult on him.

Anyways.. We have to build a dominant defense.

Not a defense that is ranked high because we didn't allow yards. That measurement is stupid.

We need to be dominant with Points allowed, Turnovers, and QB pressures.

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score

a basket case

maybe take a look at his career stats/coaching history as DC and HC.

Then come back and tell us how great he is.

'Cause his coaching record stinks.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I like Nolan.. It's an unpopular opinion but I think he'll be really good but losing Byron is going to make things more difficult on him.

Not a defense that is ranked high because we didn't allow yards. That measurement is stupid.

Other than the fact that his coaching history stinks, and he's usually fired or run out after 1-2 seasons, he's "awesome."

How do you ignore facts? I'm not making anything up. Look it up yourself if you dont believe it.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I sure hope so. Something or someone needs to bring that spark back to make the Dallas Cowboys a threat again. Garrett deflated this team.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
for those with shaky feelings on Nolan, does landing George Edwards also ease some of the concern?

yes.

Edwards is an excellent coach. Has an excellent history.

Nolan does not. Facts.

I think the Edwards hire is an attempt to fix the Nolan mess. [Does anyone at the Star have an internet connection? Google 2013-2014 ATL falcons defense.]

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Im goign to do like all the smart people, stats give me opinions and always matters. what you did in one enviroment, you will clearly do in another and the previous stop will tell us all. works all the time.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
IMO, there is no doubt about the importance of Nolan. One of the Cowboys biggest problems last season was their defense. Nolan is the guy hired to fix that problem. The defense is Nolan's baby now.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
IMO, there is no doubt about the importance of Nolan. One of the Cowboys biggest problems last season was their defense. Nolan is the guy hired to fix that problem. The defense is Nolan's baby now.

thats his job.

But the previous NFL teams tried that also.

Didn't work out too well.

No way to ignore his coaching history.

Is he just going to suddenly change his ways?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nolan is like any other DC, he's going to have to have the talent. Ryan and the 85 Bears, Lewis and the 00 Ravens and Kiffin and the 03 Bucs, never able to duplicate that again because it was more the talent.

Think Saleh would be high on the list without that DL?

I don't know how much better any other DC would have done with this talent on D. It's weak up front in the middle and the secondary needs an overhaul and they'll probably let the best secondary player walk. What is different about what Nolan is saying than what Marinelli/Richard were saying? "We're going to focus on turnovers". What D coaching staff doesn't do that?

The Cowboys will not get much better on D until the FO focuses on stop the ball as much as follow the ball with talent acquisition.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
yes.

Edwards is an excellent coach. Has an excellent history.

Nolan does not. Facts.

I think the Edwards hire is an attempt to fix the Nolan mess. [Does anyone at the Star have an internet connection? Google 2013-2014 ATL falcons defense.]
There's no mess, relax.

The 2013 Falcons defense isn't the barometer, it had 0 talent. Even if Jones, Quinn and Collins all leave, Dallas will have more talent on defense than Atlanta did. It's the 2012 defense that matters - they ranked 5th in points allowed and turnovers - but, beyond that, it capitalized on the explosive offense by playing well with a lead. The Saints and Packers both won Super Bowls doing that, and it's exactly what they're going to do in Dallas.

It's fair to say that Nolan's defenses haven't really ranked well (though they've always been good in turnovers), but there's no mess or disconnect. He was hired specifically to build a defense that compliments this offense, and he's proven capable of doing that.

pgreptom

Reaction score
" I think the Edwards hire is an attempt to fix the Nolan mess. [Does anyone at the Star have an internet connection? Google 2013-2014 ATL falcons defense. "

How bout the 2012 season when Atlanta gave up 299 points over 16 games - good for 5th best in the NFL.

Who knows how good this defense could be with some real beef in the middle. Jaylon/LVE have never had that in their entire career so.. looking forward to seeing it.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
" I think the Edwards hire is an attempt to fix the Nolan mess. [Does anyone at the Star have an internet connection? Google 2013-2014 ATL falcons defense. "

How bout the 2012 season when Atlanta gave up 299 points over 16 games - good for 5th best in the NFL.

Who knows how good this defense could be with some real beef in the middle. Jaylon/LVE have never had that in their entire career so.. looking forward to seeing it.

im willing to give Nolan a chance too. Hes not under Garrett, the Jones boys seems to taking a step back, (lets hope) lets see what Nolan can do.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

He's inheriting a defense that needs:

A starting CB
1 maybe 2 new Safeties
More size at DT
An edge rusher to compliment Tank

This Front Office is enamored with themselves and its "ability" to find JAG all-stars but in reality they are career journeymen or role players at best. Need to fill some of these holes with talented players if any DC is going have success here.