Nolan may be the key

ESisback

Reaction score
The fantasy football stats say we were. What I saw on the field was far from the #1 offense.
1)Worst starting field position
2)Undependable kicker
3)Bad playcalling in the RZ
4)Ridiculous flags at the worst possible times.

Fix those four things and fix the defense, and we’ll steamroll everyone.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
1)Worst starting field position
2)Undependable kicker
3)Bad playcalling in the RZ
4)Ridiculous flags at the worst possible times.
Fix those four things and fix the defense, and we’ll steamroll everyone.
....and Special Teams!

ESisback

Reaction score
....and Special Teams!

Yeah, gave us that worst starting field position! EVERY team we played started most times past the thirty or beyond. But we always seemed to get pinned inside the 5 or 10, and if we DID get a decent return, it always got called back!

phildadon86

Reaction score
maybe take a look at his career stats/coaching history as DC and HC.

Then come back and tell us how great he is.

'Cause his coaching record stinks.
Why don’t you post the link again just for kicks

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Yeah, gave us that worst starting field position! EVERY team we played started most times past the thirty or beyond. But we always seemed to get pinned inside the 5 or 10, and if we DID get a decent return, it always got called back!

I think teams figured out Rod's BBDB scheme. Especially the DL. That 1 gap scheme was busted. I think the Rams playoff blowout was the end.

Dre11

Reaction score
Yeah ok, bad hire, we’re doomed!

this is what's wrong with you guys. nobody said he was a bad hire, but you can't ignore his past. you know I believe it will be more about what players they bring in but he has warts. you also have to consider it could be a favor that he was brought in by a friend .

ESisback

Reaction score
this is what's wrong with you guys. nobody said he was a bad hire, but you can't ignore his past. you know I believe it will be more about what players they bring in but he has warts. you also have to consider it could be a favor that he was brought in by a friend .

Sure he’s got warts, we all do, but why does wanting to be positive and hope for good things suddenly become “ignoring his past”? People change, they grow, they evolve and improve, and each circumstance is different. Belichick was a flop in Cleveland, but the GOAT in New England. Let’s give it chance! No malice bro, just my spin!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Sure he’s got warts, we all do, but why does wanting to be positive and hope for good things suddenly become “ignoring his past”? People change, they grow, they evolve and improve, and each circumstance is different. Belichick was a flop in Cleveland, but the GOAT in New England. Let’s give it chance! No malice bro, just my spin!

Nolan was hired because he gave coach MM an OC job in 2005.

ESisback

Reaction score
Nolan was hired because he gave coach MM an OC job in 2005.

That could have been PART of it, but at this level, favors are rarely the primary focus. Someone like McCarthy would undoubtedly take this more seriously. Hell, he spent his year off watching film in a barn everyday!

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
True dat.
Blue/White April 18th, 1:30 pm.:thumbup:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Our offense is gonna HUM this year!
Oh I can't wait Es. Clifford was VERY impressive. Not happy seeing Sanders picked up by Egals. Now two of our rb's are in the NFCE.

Back on topic. Cowboys could use this parking meter for their defense. :lmao:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The types of coverages Nolan prefers will have a real impact on how the personnel shape up.

I just hope they are all on the same page. It was pretty clear there were all kinds of disconnect between Marinelli and Richard.

RS12

Reaction score
Nolan may be the key

Nope its still Jerry and the bad culture he creates. A quarter century and counting.

Dre11

Reaction score

I rather go on the past and be surprised if it's better. that's why I don't go crazy if it doesn't work.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Ok. I'm not saying the Cowboys are better than the Chiefs.

My point is just that you don't need to have great talent at every position on defense. You can win with journeymen types on that side of the ball and Dallas doesn't need this huge talent infusion on defense.

That’s is false, certain positions you have to have the talent like CBs.. if your slow and can’t move no amount scheme will save you.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-co...ys-defense-to-have-swarming-type-of-mentality

they were "swarming" last year, just couldn't make plays

this team had the #1 O in the NFL, the worst STs in the NFL, and a D dead last in the INTs
a basket case

ain't worried about MM from an offensive point of view, if MM can deal with JJ and such is yet to be seen
the biggest O problem MM has is the worst starting field position in the NFL
keep in ind Dak was 16 TDs / 0 INTs in the red zone, a with 26% TD rate per attempt
it's an O capable of 30+ a game in 2021

STs can't help but get better, wow they were bad

Nolan is a defensive coach's coach, grew up in it, the one thing we keep hearing is talent over scheme ... at least he's humble and looking at new playmakers, and or using existing players differently

still - Nolan has to flip half the D roster and put in a new system.

IMO, the Boys have to add playmakers at DL, LB, and DB this off season to make a run.
They don't have to spend a high pick on O - they can get 1 or 2 impact D players in the draft , 1 or 2 in FA
but hard to picture much useful depth in 2021 ...

just a reality check. I'll be happy if they just add 2 real DTs under 25 and bloodthirsty

I doubt the D looks smooth the first half of 2021 - if they play well down the stretch we have a shot

frankly, I don't think anyone can project how the Boys' D will perform next year

probably better than 7 INTs, down from 9 in 2018, *that's so ridiculous*
how many more likely will determine the fate of the team in the foreseeable future
When your top payed player on defense is definitely not a team leader, a leader of men, a leader on the field that proves his worth by his performance and not his mouth, than your really off to a bad start.