You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Actor Rob Morrow's daughter is named Tu Morrow. o_O

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Weird? Or just ahead of backwards places in the South?

Terrible children's names aren't exactly a regional thing and I think parents do their children a disservice when they gave their child a name that doesn't do them any favors as they grow up. You could be a celeb or live in a small rural town in East Texas and if your parents named you "North" I'd think they were cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Terrible children's names aren't exactly a regional thing and I think parents do their children a disservice when they gave their child a name that doesn't do them any favors as they grow up. You could be a celeb or live in a small rural town in East Texas and if your parents named you "North" I'd think they were cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

So you feel qualified to judge what is and what isn't a reasonable name for a child? I wonder if people in some parts of this country might think your kids have stupid names. Not sayin' they do b/c I don't know but you have to realize that this isn't some sort of universal thing.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you feel qualified to judge what is and what isn't a reasonable name for a child? I wonder if people in some parts of this country might think your kids have stupid names. Not sayin' they do b/c I don't know but you have to realize that this isn't some sort of universal thing.

It's not about being qualified or having to realize anything. It's about having an opinion. And in my opinion, parents who give children off the wall names make it hard for their children later in life.

Not saying they all need to walk around with Mary, John, and Jane, but parents should be conscious of that kind of stuff. Kids get teased enough in school about the most basic of things. Imagine being in school with an oddball name...and the teacher doesn't know how to pronounce it or pronounces it correctly, but it's not how your parents want it be pronounced. That's a problem. Friend told me, a neighbor of hers name was called "Shy, eat" but it was spelled like the four letter word.

Stuff might become accepted as they get older, but it'll be tough for them initially. And then when trying to pursue a job later, again having an oddball name can work against you.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
It's not about being qualified or having to realize anything. It's about having an opinion. And in my opinion, parents who give children off the wall names make it hard for their children later in life.

Not saying they all need to walk around with Mary, John, and Jane, but parents should be conscious of that kind of stuff. Kids get teased enough in school about the most basic of things. Imagine being in school with an oddball name...and the teacher doesn't know how to pronounce it or pronounces it correctly, but it's not how your parents want it be pronounced. That's a problem. Friend told me, a neighbor of hers name was called "Shy, eat" but it was spelled like the four letter word.

Stuff might become accepted as they get older, but it'll be tough for them initially. And then when trying to pursue a job later, again having an oddball name can work against you.

And like I said, a name like North isn't going to be seen as weird where she lives. She'll be in classes with all kinds of nonconformist names. Plus I'm pretty sure that everyone knows how to pronounce North.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And like I said, a name like North isn't going to be seen as weird where she lives. She'll be in classes with all kinds of nonconformist names. Plus I'm pretty sure that everyone knows how to pronounce North.

Yeah, my point wasn't specifically about the name "North." But whatevers. She'll be going by Nori and I'm sure she'll be a fully well-adjusted person who will probably never have to answer to the name "North," anyway.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah, my point wasn't specifically about the name "North." But whatevers. She'll be going by Nori and I'm sure she'll be a fully well-adjusted person who will probably never have to answer to the name "North," anyway.

Given who are parents are the name may be the least of her problems. lol

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I had read somewhere that they were considering Kimye........that would have been a better choice than north

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
At the school my GF works at, there is a kid in the classroom next to hers named LaDasha. Only it's quite literally spelled La-a. Pretty much the most awful thing I've ever heard of. Though it's awful for a different reason than being a weird name.

kristie

Reaction score
at least i know that when my husband & i have a baby, we won't be giving him/her a weird name.