Norv & Rivera talk pure nonsense

DipChit

Reaction score
Yeah the exclusivity thing could make it dicey depending on how the thing is handled.

Jerry might already know through conversation with Norv that Rivera would be interested in doing it based on conversation Norv and Ron have had in the past.

The other thing is I'm sure the Bears could waive those rights if they already knew theres no way they'd pay what Jerry would.

But if the Bears wanna get hardcore about it they prolly could raise a stink about tampering if Rivera ends up wanting to come here afterall as a DC cause how would they know for sure it wasnt discussed.. do they get to have someone sit in on the upcoming talk? ;)

As far as just having to wait 3 weeks as a worst case scenario to even get him in here though wouldnt really bother me if it came down to it.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Deputy493;1353702 said:
I doubt it because the Bears are going to have to rework Lovie Smith's contract before getting into a bid war over their DC.

Exactly. If JJ wants him, JJ has him. It is that simple.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
It might very well be possible that Jerry never considered Rivera until Norv brought up his name and wanted him as DC. It might also be possible that after Jerry talks to Rivera that he will take him as the HC instead of Norv. Norv may have talked himself out of a job by insisting on Rivera.

Of course these are only possibilities I'm as clueless as the rest of you guys as to what actually went down...or will go down from this point on.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
BlueDemon;1353631 said:
NO WAY on earth does Rivera make a lateral move to Dallas to be Norv's DC, even if he gets his salary upped to 7 Figures...NO WAY .

You say that as if you really have a clue... excuse me if I find that highly improbable...

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Cbz40;1353684 said:
Let's look at the Rivera situation in another light. Rivera's contract has expired so would he not be trying to gain all the attention he possibly can?

He could be very serious about making a lateral move but then again he may be trying force the Bears hand just to see just how serious they are in retaining his services.

The more demand for a person the bigger the contract. So for him to be putting his name out there simply sounds like good business to me. We could very easily find ourselves in a bidding war w/Chicago for Mr Rivera.
thats the thing riveras contract hasnt expired yet because his team is still playing

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If we hire Norv, and pull Rivera away from the bears, and Rivera turns this defense into a power house next year, you can bet your house he'll be gone to head-coach somewhere next year.

adamknite

Reaction score
Rivera was the guy I wanted as the Cowboys HC since I heard Parcells had retired. I'd love to see him come here in some manner. Just putting in my two cents.

DCfaninDC

Reaction score
I agree with you that it is hilarious that people even mention both together as coaches for the Cowboys next season. Why on gods earth would anyone do that. he has proven his abilities with Chicago, why would he come to Dallas with a bad secondary and try to fix problem in order to look good to be considered for HC position later.

NONSENSE.

silverbear

Reaction score
Clove;1353986 said:
If we hire Norv, and pull Rivera away from the bears, and Rivera turns this defense into a power house next year, you can bet your house he'll be gone to head-coach somewhere next year.

I dunno about next year, but soon... next year, Bill Cowher and Jeff Fisher are liable to be the coaches everybody wants...

Chuck 54

Reaction score
BlueDemon;1353631 said:
NO WAY on earth does Rivera make a lateral move to Dallas to be Norv's DC, even if he gets his salary upped to 7 Figures...NO WAY .

He will wait until 08' if need be. IMO this is a powerploy by Norval...

Ron Rivera is OVERDUE for an NFL HC job - plain and simple. And Norval has already had his chances.

If Rivera is not announced as the Dallas HC on Tuesday Nite - well then we are in deep , deep , deep trouble with a Staff of JGarrett - OC, TBowles - DC -, and Norval as HC.

Ron Rivera should be our next Head Coach - bottomline.

You do realize, of course, that as of today he has no contract to work in Chicago next season? We assume they'll resign him if he has no job, but right now he hasn't been offerred a contract in Chicago for next season.

silverbear

Reaction score
DCfaninDC;1354008 said:
I agree with you that it is hilarious that people even mention both together as coaches for the Cowboys next season. Why on gods earth would anyone do that. he has proven his abilities with Chicago, why would he come to Dallas with a bad secondary and try to fix problem in order to look good to be considered for HC position later.

NONSENSE.

No, it's not "nonsense"... so long as he's working under Lovie Smith, whose reputation is as a defensive mastermind, Rivera will never get full credit for that terrific defense...

But if he goes to another club like the Cowboys, one without a defensive mastermind for a head coach (IOW, if Wade Phillips came on, you could probably safely scratch Rivera as a defensive coordinator candidate), he would get full credit for any turnaround he might be able to engineer... and given that there's a fair amount of defensive talent already on the Boys' roster, if he's the coach we all think he is, he would in all probability turn things around...

THEN he becomes one of the hot head coaching candidates out there, in a year or two... but to repeat, so long as he works under Lovie Smith's, he'll be in Lovie's shadow...

And what kind of a weird name is "Lovie" for an NFL head coach?? :D

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BlueDemon;1353631 said:

He will wait until 08' if need be. IMO this is a powerploy by Norval...

Ron Rivera is OVERDUE for an NFL HC job - plain and simple. And Norval has already had his chances.

If Rivera is not announced as the Dallas HC on Tuesday Nite - well then we are in deep , deep , deep trouble with a Staff of JGarrett - OC, TBowles - DC -, and Norval as HC.

Ron Rivera should be our next Head Coach - bottomline.

Rivera's contract is up with the Bears after the SB....he can negotiate wherever and for whatever position coach, head coach he wants...and he wants to be a Dallas Cowboy....

burmafrd

Reaction score
SInce he has not been offered an extension, the Bears have virtually no say in anything after the SB. If they try and make a stink, they are the ones looking bad since they pay so poorly. Norv can talk to Rivera all day and as long as he is not employed by Dallas at that time there is no tampering charges possible. Rivera will NOT ever get full credit at chicago due to Smith being there. He would get full credit (and full blame if it goes badly) for the Dallas D next year. If it goes well then its likely he would have several HC possibilties.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
silverbear;1354015 said:
I dunno about next year, but soon... next year, Bill Cowher and Jeff Fisher are liable to be the coaches everybody wants...

Forgive me for being dense but what has Jeff fisher done to make everyone gaga over him?

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
starfrombirth;1354787 said:
Forgive me for being dense but what has Jeff fisher done to make everyone gaga over him?

Made the Titans a pretty good team this year with so-so players.

(here comes the Da Hammer giving credit to "Superman" :p:)