Norv Turner... Offensive Genius... Stats...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;1343689 said:
On the other hand, fans typically glorify the past. I'm not sure how it was hard to gameplan for that O-line, QB, RB, and WR(s).

Just ask around the league what GM's and people who get paid to do this think of Norv Turners abilities to call plays.

If you want to say he would be a bad head coach then fine but dont start knocking him at what he is one of the best at.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Hunter71;1343646 said:
GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT DBAIR...

Look at his record BEFORE Danny got there which was in 1999...

IT STUNK...

Had NOTHING to do with Danny...

Haha........:lmao2: :laugh2: :lmao:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;1343703 said:
Just ask around the league what GM's and people who get paid to do this think of Norv Turners abilities to call plays.

If you want to say he would be a bad head coach then fine but dont start knocking him at what he is one of the best at.
I think for a long time he rode on the "success" he had in Dallas. Then when he failed at HC twice he went back to being a coordinator in SF (I know he has OC jobs dispersed throughout his career).

The SF offense improved slightly over the previous season, mostly because Frank Gore received all the carries (as opposed to Kevin Barlow in 2005). It also improved because Alex Smith was in 2nd season and improved just slightly.

To some this indicated that Norv was somehow vindicated as an OC. To others, not. In the end, I don't think he's had much success at either OC or at HC outside of Dallas.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Basically all these Norv threads lead to this.

A. He has to have a TON of talent. Were talking a roster just stacked with HOFs. God knows acquiring his own just isn't an option.

B. He has to have an owner who doesn't control anything. Just write checks.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Hunter71;1343600 said:
Teams ranked by points scored under Norv since the Cowboys...

Boy, can't wait for him to get his hands on our offense and really turn the team around....

Those of you who think he's some kind of offensive genius need to look at the facts first...

Turner is overrated...

He's had 2 seasons since the Cowboys where his teams have been in THE TOP 10 in scoring...

And some of you people are arguing we're going to have a high-powered offense?...

Get real...

Facts speak otherwise...

1994- 13th W
1995- 18th W
1996-8th W
1997-15th W
1998-17th W
1999-2nd W
2000-24th W
2001-14th SD
2002- 12th Miami
2003- 17th Miami
2004-18th oak
2005- 23rd oak
2006-24th sf
we already have a high powered offense:rolleyes:

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I've stayed out of these threads, but I'd be curious to see what Dallas' offensive rankings were when he was here.

I don't think he's ever been touted as producing high octane offense, just highly productive/efficient ones. Game control, run the ball, throw downfield, mid range.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
dbair1967;1343634 said:
:confused:

Danny doesnt (and never has) given anyone any input...maybe Gibbs has some now, but nobody else did...says more about Danny troll than anyone else

David

Sounds allot like Jones to me. So with norv as HC we get Jones as assistant HC. Whoopee.

roy31

Reaction score
theogt;1343689 said:
On the other hand, fans typically glorify the past. I'm not sure how it was hard to gameplan for that O-line, QB, RB, and WR(s).

I agree and I keep hearing that he is known for molding great Qbs , other than Aikman who , and who's to not to say Aikman was just talented and he would have had the same carreer without Turner . With Turner has HC I am concerned about the defense.

proline

Reaction score
Crown Royal;1343798 said:
I've stayed out of these threads, but I'd be curious to see what Dallas' offensive rankings were when he was here.

I don't think he's ever been touted as producing high octane offense, just highly productive/efficient ones. Game control, run the ball, throw downfield, mid range.

I agree. Let's see some numbers on time of possession, points per possession, turnovers, and wins. Any time you hang your argument on one stat you're missing the big picture, IMO.

proline

Reaction score
roy31;1343865 said:
... who's to not to say Aikman was just talented and he would have had the same carreer without Turner.

Um ... maybe Aikman? Aikman has given Norv a ton of credit for his success.

Personally, though, I want Wade Phillips as HC. Unless we can get Norv as HC and make up some title that gets Phillips over here to run the defense but is a promotion over his current DC title (maybe Assistant Head Coach or something.)

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1343718 said:
Basically all these Norv threads lead to this.

A. He has to have a TON of talent. Were talking a roster just stacked with HOFs. God knows acquiring his own just isn't an option.

B. He has to have an owner who doesn't control anything. Just write checks.

That's 100% correct. There has to be an Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin, Moose and arguably the best Offensive line to ever be assembled. I don't see that ever becoming reality again.

hank2k

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1343888 said:
That's 100% correct. There has to be an Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin, Moose and arguably the best Offensive line to ever be assembled. I don't see that ever becoming reality again.

500 offensive coordinators could have won with that talent.

:cool:

rw54

Reaction score
I am conflicted about Norv being the HC. I like Norv. He is a tremendous X's and O's coach. He is not an inspiring leader and I think his ability to handle a staff is suspect. In Oakland and in Washington he handled the offense and the DC handled the defense. That in my opinion is not a good arrangement. Obviously, he will have a leaning one way or another but he needs to be involved heavily with both sides.

I'm also not sure if his style of offense is best for Romo. He doesn't have a rocket arm, his motion is a little long, and he is better out of the pocket. None of that lends itself to Norv's timing based offense. Besides we didn't bring in Garrett for nothing.

I say let Garrett learn on the job. Allow him to pick his own assistants especially his coordinators. He is smart, allow him to figure this out. I think he knows his strengths and weaknesses enough to cover them. Its better than a retread looking over his shoulder waiting for Jerry to can him in favor of Garrett. Jason Garrett leader of the Dallas Cowboys organization. If he fails - he fails, but let's do it right.

Gaede

Reaction score
somehow, there is always an excuse for Norv

It's like Quincy, but X 1000

dfense

Reaction score
Hunter71;1343600 said:
Teams ranked by points scored under Norv since the Cowboys...

Boy, can't wait for him to get his hands on our offense and really turn the team around....

Those of you who think he's some kind of offensive genius need to look at the facts first...

Turner is overrated...

He's had 2 seasons since the Cowboys where his teams have been in THE TOP 10 in scoring...

And some of you people are arguing we're going to have a high-powered offense?...

Get real...

Facts speak otherwise...

1994- 13th W
1995- 18th W
1996-8th W
1997-15th W
1998-17th W
1999-2nd W
2000-24th W
2001-14th SD
2002- 12th Miami
2003- 17th Miami
2004-18th oak
2005- 23rd oak
2006-24th sf
Huh....must be why he's NEVER been unemployed.

Hunter71

Reaction score
CATCH17;1343703 said:

This is the EXACT problem...

I don't want a playcaller...

Isn't that what Garrett was hired for?...

I want a HEAD COACH...

You guys keep pointing to his wonderful offensive mind but that's NOT what the position is for or why Garrett was hired...

And if he is so prolific, why are his teams, on average, middle of the road almost every year...

Look at the facts and ask yourself what has he done since Dallas...

NOTHING....

Quit living in the past...

Hunter71

Reaction score
Gaede;1343973 said:
somehow, there is always an excuse for Norv

It's like Quincy, but X 1000

Exactly...

Not enought talent...

Horrible owners...

Bad draft choices...

Etc etc...

Sounds as if the board is representative of our society at large...

NO accountability and "it ain't my fault"...

Hell, every other head coach is held accountable for their performance except for Norv according to people on this board...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hunter71;1344084 said:
This is the EXACT problem...

I don't want a playcaller...

Isn't that what Garrett was hired for?...

I want a HEAD COACH...

You guys keep pointing to his wonderful offensive mind but that's NOT what the position is for or why Garrett was hired...

And if he is so prolific, why are his teams, on average, middle of the road almost every year...

Look at the facts and ask yourself what has he done since Dallas...

NOTHING....

Quit living in the past...

I was talking to someone that was saying he couldnt call plays.

I wasnt defending him as a HC I was defending him as a OC but I shouldnt even have to do that.

Hunter71

Reaction score
CATCH17;1344096 said:
I was talking to someone that was saying he couldnt call plays.

I wasnt defending him as a HC I was defending him as a OC but I shouldnt even have to do that.

Sorry Catch...

(I used to have some great dialogue with you on the other board...)

I'm just really pissed about this whole thing...

It just doesn't smell right or make sense...