Not happy with the last couple days

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I may get killed here but I hated this draft. Gallup is the only I guy I am excited about. LVE is a project with up and downside. William is a nice player but not necessary in round 2. The 4th round was a zero. White has promise but this is Dak’s team. No DT? No S? I thought Switzer was supposed to be Austin? I suppose CB is a goner. Ugh. I don’t think it was great.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I may get killed here but I hated this draft. Gallup is the only I guy I am excited about. LVE is a project with up and downside. William is a nice player but not necessary in round 2. The 4th round was a zero. White has promise but this is Dak’s team. No DT? No S? I thought Switzer was supposed to be Austin? I suppose CB is a goner. Ugh. I don’t think it was great.
Of course your not happy. You’re NEVER happy about anything the Cowboys do.

4th_and_short

Reaction score
Some of the picks give me the impression the FO already knew who they wanted in each round and were content to sit and wait for them.

I don’t think Dorance was on anyone’s radar, at least not in the 4th. Drafting a backup QB in the 5th? I don’t see the point of that at all.

tm1119

Reaction score
Of the 1st 4 rounds there’s only 1 pick you could possibly complain about and that’s Armstrong. The other 4 picks fit in both value and need.

Creeper

Reaction score
I can't complain too much with who they picked but its not who I would have picked I definitely would have used the 2nd 4th round pick on Mo Hurst. If Jaylon Smith was worth the risk, then Hurst was in the 4th for sure. I think they need inside help more than outside help. I am okay with the QB pick too. It doesn't hurt to look at other QB prospects. Dak did not have a great year last year. White looks like he can throw, he seems unfazed and he is supposed to be a smart QB. Romo was undrafted. Dak was taken in the 4th. Tom Brady was picked in the 6th. Who knows, maybe White will develop into something.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
I can't complain too much with who they picked but its not who I would have picked I definitely would have used the 2nd 4th round pick on Mo Hurst. If Jaylon Smith was worth the risk, then Hurst was in the 4th for sure. I think they need inside help more than outside help. I am okay with the QB pick too. It doesn't hurt to look at other QB prospects. Dak did not have a great year last year. White looks like he can throw, he seems unfazed and he is supposed to be a smart QB. Romo was undrafted. Dak was taken in the 4th. Tom Brady was picked in the 6th. Who knows, maybe White will develop into something.
I love Hurst, but here the thing on him. The NFL NETWORK said he has the same heart condition as Hank Gathers. It was reported that at least 15 teams removed his name from their board. When we drafted LVE, Jerry said he had their doctors check him over before we drafted him, do to a neck injury. Now, Hurst was also on our radar and you would think we had him checked. We had to many holes and I didn’t think we were going to use all these picks without moving up. They had a plan and they followed it.

cowboyec

Reaction score
CB?
theres no room.
S yes...but not CB.

OG was ABSOLUTELY a need.
Fleming is on a 1yr deal...Martin is on a 1yr deal...if Fleming is our T and Collins is our G...we're back to square one again.
Williams should anchor down the OG spot with Collins at OT and Fleming at Swing T.

Armstrong I think could be special...and with DLaw on a 1yr deal..if we can not come to terms,Armstrong is good insurance.If we keep DLaw,we have a nice trio in DLaw,Taco and Armstrong.

Gallup is an up-grade over the body catcher and I think starts.Cedrick Wilson is gonna fit in nice.

Schultz is gonna be a good'n...smart,tough.

solid draft.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This was a very good draft. Upgrades all over the roster. William was a top 15 LAST year. If he hadn't got hurt he would have been a top 10 pick. The Cowboys stole him. There was a trade for a DT, no room for CB's, Switzer is a WR and Austin is a RB so not sure where that comparison came from, no S's that were better than what is already here. Overall, the roster improved quite a bit.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Ok Jerry, won't try and change your thoughts on the draft. Can't really understand how you can say it sucks without seeing a single one of the draftees play in an NFL game though. I'm not gonna say it was a success until I see the product on the field for a few games. No splashes, no leaps, no apparent miscreants, stuck to their board, filled needs at depth. I guess you can say I saw a new "process" that I liked. It takes a couple of years to actually evaluate a draft but only 36 hours to see a change in direction. It's been happening for a few weeks. JMO

Torturedcowboysfan

Reaction score
I haven't been excited about our picks since we drafted Zeke. Gallup has upside and our line should be good, but this team will go as Zeke and the o-line go. That's clear. They're putting a lot on the young man. We'll see what happens. I hope Rico is ready to go this year. He showed receiving skills and he's as big as some o-lineman. He could give us the best running game in the history of the league if he can properly utilize his size as a blocker.

Torturedcowboysfan

Reaction score
I'm pleased with the Tavon Austin Trade. The rams are idiots for not using him right. He's as quick as Beasley with 5 more steps of speed. It's a crime that I've never seen this guy catch a deep pass. I watched him his first 2 years and the qb play hurt him. Peyton or Brady would make him a 80 catch receiver.

Torturedcowboysfan

Reaction score
CB?
theres no room.
S yes...but not CB.

Fleming is on a 1yr deal...Martin is on a 1yr deal...if Fleming is our T and Collins is our G...we're back to square one again.
Williams should anchor down the OG spot with Collins at OT and Fleming at Swing T.

Armstrong I think could be special...and with DLaw on a 1yr deal..if we can not come to terms,Armstrong is good insurance.If we keep DLaw,we have a nice trio in DLaw,Taco and Armstrong.

Gallup is an up-grade over the body catcher and I think starts.Cedrick Wilson is gonna fit in nice.

solid draft.
Armstrong is another slow player.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CB?
theres no room.
S yes...but not CB.

solid draft.

OG is one of the easier positions to fill b/c tackles can play G too. Zach Martin was a college tackle we converted to G. Collins also played tackle in college and converted to G in his first years in the NFL. The OL failed last year b/c Tyron Smith was not healthy and his back-ups didn't belong on an NFL field. So, the only OL position we desperately needed to upgrade was back-up tackle and we did that with Fleming. There was no reason to blow a premium pick on a G and add to what was already the best OL in the NFL when we had glaring needs at safety, WR, and TE. Not to mention the fact that we only have one proven pass rusher. Most contending teams have at least 2 or 3 effective pass rushers. Conner Williams is going to be a good player for years but don't sell the idea that it was "need" pick in relation to all the other spots.

cowboyec

Reaction score
OG is one of the easier positions to fill b/c tackles can play G too. Zach Martin was a college tackle we converted to G. Collins also played tackle in college and converted to G in his first years in the NFL. The OL failed last year b/c Tyron Smith was not healthy and his back-ups didn't belong on an NFL field. So, the only OL position we desperately needed to upgrade was back-up tackle and we did that with Fleming. There was no reason to blow a premium pick on a G and add to what was already the best OL in the NFL when we had glaring needs at safety, WR, and TE. Not to mention the fact that we only have one proven pass rusher. Most contending teams have at least 2 or 3 effective pass rushers. Conner Williams is going to be a good player for years but don't sell the idea that it was "need" pick in relation to all the other spots.
it absolutely was a need.
if Collins moved to OG for Fleming at T.....next off-season we're doing this dance all-over....Fleming is only here on a 1yr deal.
With Williams,I expect he'll start at OG and Collins stays at OT....Williams could also fill in at T if needed.
OG was CLEARLY a need.
Before this draft....either Collins moves over(for 1 yr) or its the winner of Marcus Martin v Chaz Green.
It could be Martin but I expect it'll be Williams.