Not sure DL more than potential

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I've been happy for the most part with the DL play during the preseason, but I'm not sure what we've seen means that we're going to be much different than last year as far as pass-rushing success goes.

It appears to me with Quinn suspended two games and Gregory suspended infinitely that our pass rush is still going to go as Lawrence goes. At end, we've seen some good signs from Chartlon playing against second-team LTs, but it isn't like he's dominating them to get to the QB, which is what he needs to do against backups if he's going to stand any chance against starters. The same with Kerry Hyder. He's made some good plays but hasn't been dominant. Dorance Armstrong hasn't done much at all as a pass rusher, but we've seen some good moments from Joe Jackson and Jalen Jelks against third- and fourth-stringers ... again, no dominance.

Now, on the inside, Maliek Collins was pretty dominant while he was in there Saturday. Again, it was against backups, but that's what we need to see in those situations. None of the other DTs played at that level.

Again, that doesn't mean there haven't been good moments where each of them has shined. I just haven't seen anything that tells me that we've got a dominant player other than Lawrence, at least not until Quinn returns. Being able to rush the passer with the front four is a big part of this scheme and I just don't know if we have the horses for that. Seems like we've got a bunch of young colts that might not quite be ready to run.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I've been happy for the most part with the DL play during the preseason, but I'm not sure what we've seen means that we're going to be much different than last year as far as pass-rushing success goes.

It appears to me with Quinn suspended two games and Gregory suspended infinitely that our pass rush is still going to go as Lawrence goes. At end, we've seen some good signs from Chartlon playing against second-team LTs, but it isn't like he's dominating them to get to the QB, which is what he needs to do against backups if he's going to stand any chance against starters. The same with Kerry Hyder. He's made some good plays but hasn't been dominant. Dorance Armstrong hasn't done much at all as a pass rusher, but we've seen some good moments from Joe Jackson and Jalen Jelks against third- and fourth-stringers ... again, no dominance.

Now, on the inside, Maliek Collins was pretty dominant while he was in there Saturday. Again, it was against backups, but that's what we need to see in those situations. None of the other DTs played at that level.

Again, that doesn't mean there haven't been good moments where each of them has shined. I just haven't seen anything that tells me that we've got a dominant player other than Lawrence, at least not until Quinn returns. Being able to rush the passer with the front four is a big part of this scheme and I just don't know if we have the horses for that. Seems like we've got a bunch of young colts that might not quite be ready to run.
Your missing a key piece to the pass rush...... Jaylon Smith and blitzing DBs. Until Quinn is back our ends won't be as good. I think we can still create pressure until Quinn returns. Getting a push up the middle will help the ends.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I hope they have figured out how to stop the run since they played the rams if they haven't then the rest wont matter much

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Until proven otherwise, this DL is still a work in progress. And until Lawrence shows up in crunch time, he's not worth 21M.

From the "what have you done for me lately" department, until they erase that abysmal showing in LA, that's who they will be. But, we do get a first showing as they will face the best RB in the league, imo, to open the season. That's about all the Giants have got and it wil be interesting to see if they can shut Barkley down with the base D and not bring an 8th into the box.

If they want to erase the memory of that last game, this will be a good one because no team in the league is as dependent on the RB as the Giants.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
Your missing a key piece to the pass rush...... Jaylon Smith and blitzing DBs. Until Quinn is back our ends won't be as good. I think we can still create pressure until Quinn returns. Getting a push up the middle will help the ends.
Yeah if Jaylon develops into a very good pass rusher that can make this defense Elite. Either that or create more turnovers.

blueblood70

Reaction score

dude when Tank gets back, quinn off suspension, Gregory Might be reinstated the others you mentioned plus Taco are rotational situational guys but you missed some more then potential, woods is healthy , Now Covington is no Jag, hes a find I can tell already hes space eater, he will command a double team and woods, hill, and Crawfords will get more chances to go get the RB or QB..I think we finally have put together a nice set of starters plus rotational guys and the teams wont be running on us like the Rams game if these guys are all healthy come crunch time...RM like rotational multi use players and he has them this year.. but my Darkhorse is Covington, he got lost in Philly mix and im betting they will be sorry they let him go..

My point Pass rushers from the outside will have cleaner lanes do to the middle of this defense getting a lot better..watch..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The good news is that the Cowboys will be facing subpar left tackles for the two weeks they'll be missing Quinn.

gimmesix

Reaction score

Marinelli prefers to not blitz because it leaves you exposed to big plays if you don't get it done. That we blitzed more than usual last year was a product of Kris Richard's influence and the fact that we weren't able to consistently create pressure with the line outside of Lawrence.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I hope they have figured out how to stop the run since they played the rams if they haven't then the rest wont matter much

We were pretty good at stopping the run before that, so I consider it a bit of an aberration. I think it was a product primarily of Woods and Lawrence playing hurt and the Rams outscheming us.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marinelli prefers to not blitz because it leaves you exposed to big plays if you don't get it done. That we blitzed more than usual last year was a product of Kris Richard's influence and the fact that we weren't able to consistently create pressure with the line outside of Lawrence.

And the fact that Marinelli's philosophy and 'Rushmen' have never come through on all of the talk. The actual results have never materialized.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We were pretty good at stopping the run before that, so I consider it a bit of an aberration. I think it was a product primarily of Woods and Lawrence playing hurt and the Rams outscheming us.

It was definitely the Rams outscheming us, but there were several other terrible games against the run mixed in with good ones during the season. The Colts line killed them, and I think the Redksins, Giants, and Titans had some good days as well.

It seems to very much coincide with losses.

gimmesix

Reaction score
dude when Tank gets back, quinn off suspension, Gregory Might be reinstated the others you mentioned plus Taco are rotational situational guys but you missed some more then potential, woods is healthy , Now Covington is no Jag, hes a find I can tell already hes space eater, he will command a double team and woods, hill, and Crawfords will get more chances to go get the RB or QB..I think we finally have put together a nice set of starters plus rotational guys and the teams wont be running on us like the Rams game if these guys are all healthy come crunch time...RM like rotational multi use players and he has them this year.. but my Darkhorse is Covington, he got lost in Philly mix and im betting they will be sorry they let him go..

My point Pass rushers from the outside will have cleaner lanes do to the middle of this defense getting a lot better..watch..

I do agree that if we can get better push up the middle then the outside rushers will benefit. Not sure we've got much more to give us that push than last year, but Collins being healthier is promising. We've got quite a few depth, rotational players, but I just haven't seen anyone be that stud yet that can complement what we have in Lawrence. Quinn has proven in the past that he can be that threat, Gregory was coming on in that regard last year, but I'm not sure we'll have someone being a true pass-rushing complement to Lawrence those first two games unless Collins can do it.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Oh no, the sky has fell again.
My head is hurting constantly from the sky falling 2,256 times a day on here.

RELAX

I'm not sure why discussing what we've seen has to mean that the sky is falling. It's simply a discussion. No one said it was the end of the earth. Maybe you need to relax.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It was definitely the Rams outscheming us, but there were several other terrible games against the run mixed in with good ones during the season. The Colts line killed them, and I think the Redksins, Giants, and Titans had some good days as well.

It seems to very much coincide with losses.

Yes, there were some games where the defense just unraveled. Then there were games like the one against New Orleans where we held them to 65 yards on 19 carries. Overall, we gave up 3.8 yards per carry for the season, which was fifth-best in the league, despite more rushing attempts against us than the five teams ahead of us. We're were also fifth-best in rushing yards per game allowed. Some of that obviously was done against poor rushing teams, but you can probably say the same about the other defenses.

In passing defense, we were middle of the pack in sacks (16th) and passing yards allowed (13th) and bottom half in several other categories. It all starts with pressure, and I'm not sure our young guys (and Taco) have shown they are up to the task. Maybe they will be, but it would be nice to see at least one of them just beat up on these backup linemen. At least Collins did that when he was in the game.

Again, I'm not saying the rest performed poorly. They won some battles against the linemen they faced, which is a good thing. We just need someone to draw some attention away from Lawrence by being perceived as a threat that makes defenses have to pick their poison or get burned for it.

Last edited:

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
No mention of Woods commanding double teams? His ability to create havoc will free somebody up...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure why discussing what we've seen has to mean that the sky is falling. It's simply a discussion. No one said it was the end of the earth. Maybe you need to relax.

I am relaxed.
I made that comment because one day it is, we are deep on the DL, the next day, we have nothing.
And it goes for just about every position.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, there were some games where the defense just unraveled. Then there were games like the one against New Orleans where we held them to 65 yards on 19 carries. Overall, we gave up 3.8 yards per carry for the season, which was fifth-best in the league, despite more rushing attempts against us than the five teams ahead of us. We're were also fifth-best in rushing yards per game allowed. Some of that obviously was done against poor rushing teams, but you can probably say the same about the other defenses.

It's alarming to me that there was such a lack of consistency. Games where they appeared to be a stone wall, and others where they appeared to be a sieve.

Also alarming that when they didn't do a good job against the run, they usually lost. Funny how that happened when everyone is so focused on the passing game?

John813

Reaction score
The DL is more potential as it stands now, or at least the first two weeks of the regular season.

We got D-Law, Collins and then some rookies, Taco, Armstrong, Woods and Covington. Oh and Crawford.

Not great, not terrible either. I sort of like it in that it'll be a good time for guys like Armstrong and Taco to get some real snaps at RDE
Hill should be brought along with time.

I like the group of young guys rounding out the end spots. To be determined how they develop.