Note to JJ: Fans don't care about how contract negotiations are going

exciter

Reaction score
If only Jerry Jones could realize how stupid he looks when he talks publicly about “how negotiations are going” with any player in any contract situation. He seems to think that he’s giving fans important updates. No one cares how contract negotiations are going. No one. What matters to fans? Either getting a deal done (or not) and moving on. Period. Give us the best players we can fit under the cap that help us win.

I honestly believe Jerry thinks it’s all part of the entertainment process he so loves. It not only doesn‘t work, in fact it often drives a player and their agent to dig their heels in deeper. Rarely do you see a player’s agent come out and speak publicly about “how the negotiations are going”.

And as far as fans go, I can only speak for me but I could not care less what JJ thinks about anyone’s contract negotiations. Probably 99% of what he’s saying is pure bull excrement. What matters to fans? Either getting a deal done (or not) and moving on. Period. Just shut up Jerry and give us the best team you can. Contract negotiations are not entertaining.

The BEST deals for both sides usually happen quickly and with almost no public comments made by either side. Contract negotiations are not entertaining. Give us the best team you can as soon as possible. We don’t need no stinking’ updates, lol.
Hmmm… then why is there 200 whiney comments daily that it hasn’t been done?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I'm trying to get a new contract where I work, does the boss walk around telling everyone in the office "We're working on it"???

NO.

Speaking to the media about contract negotiations are going is not the way to get anything done....
Some sports organizations make it known that they “don’t talk about contract negotiations or negotiate in public”.
Some of you are ridiculous. Do you think Jerry is calling press conferences to announce the status of contract negotiations? He makes statements because reporters ask him about them. Don't complain about Jerry, complain about those that are asking him questions.
Just because a reporter asks him doesn’t mean he has to answer or update. Most GMs and owners don’t talk much about that in public. Of course most serious sports owners hire someone else to be their GM anyway.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
I’m glad you enjoy it. You willl be hearing lots more, lol.
Jerry has proven to be the best at making money. If Jerry thinks that giving updates on contract negotiations helps him make money then who are we to question if it helps him make money? He's the best there is at making money in the NFL. That's the one thing he does well.

Contract negotiations are entertaining. It gets the Cowboys in the news cycle. It creates clicks. It creates controversy amongst fans. For example this post. This post only helps support Jerry's potential thinking that contract negotiation updates make him money.
The problem I have with him is you never know whether he is lying or telling the truth. I don't even watch him make his big announcements anymore.plus the fact he never shuts up. Doesn't even let his son or the head coach get a few words in.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If only Jerry Jones could realize how stupid he looks when he talks publicly about “how negotiations are going” with any player in any contract situation. He seems to think that he’s giving fans important updates. No one cares how contract negotiations are going. No one. What matters to fans? Either getting a deal done (or not) and moving on. Period. Give us the best players we can fit under the cap that help us win.

I honestly believe Jerry thinks it’s all part of the entertainment process he so loves. It not only doesn‘t work, in fact it often drives a player and their agent to dig their heels in deeper. Rarely do you see a player’s agent come out and speak publicly about “how the negotiations are going”.

And as far as fans go, I can only speak for me but I could not care less what JJ thinks about anyone’s contract negotiations. Probably 99% of what he’s saying is pure bull excrement. What matters to fans? Either getting a deal done (or not) and moving on. Period. Just shut up Jerry and give us the best team you can. Contract negotiations are not entertaining.

The BEST deals for both sides usually happen quickly and with almost no public comments made by either side. Contract negotiations are not entertaining. Give us the best team you can as soon as possible. We don’t need no stinking’ updates, lol.
Isn’t that caring about the contract negotiations? :huh:

stiletto

Reaction score

In fairness... It's the media and the lame Dallas talking heads that keep asking Jerry. He's not calling press conferences to talk about the contracts. He could say "I don't discuss contract negotiations" whenever he's asked I guess. Maybe they'll stop asking if he adopted that practice but Jerry likes to flap his gums any chance he gets.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In fairness... It's the media and the lame Dallas talking heads that keep asking Jerry. He's not calling press conferences to talk about the contracts. He could say "I don't discuss contract negotiations" whenever he's asked I guess. Maybe they'll stop asking if he adopted that practice but Jerry likes to flap his gums any chance he gets.
But what other owners and even GM’s are we seeing making themselves available for these type of questions?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The problem I have with him is you never know whether he is lying or telling the truth. I don't even watch him make his big announcements anymore.plus the fact he never shuts up. Doesn't even let his son or the head coach get a few words in.
I think on the most part he’s being honest. Which can punctuate how little he does know. But who publicly blurts out offering up such information. It’s truly embarrassing.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You're right - no one cares about stuff like this, but Jerry thinks he needs to make a show out of everything he does. He gets far more satisfaction out of the franchise simply being in the news than he does about the on field performances.

For Jerry it's all about promoting the circus and maintaining the 'relevance' and 'interesting' part of the day to day operations. He fails to see (or is just totally ignorant) of the fact that building a dominant winner on the field will get him all the media attention he could ever want, but that isn't high enough on the list of priorities because win or lose, he is still getting what he craves most.

There is only one thing that will get Jerry to change and we all know what that is, but because the Dallas / Fort Worth are is such a melting pot it will never happen. There are far to many fans of other teams moving to this area that even if all Cowboys fans boycotted the games the stadium would still be filled on game days. Jerry wouldn't care if the stadium was 99% filled with cheese heads, Iggles turds, or Stealer fans, it will always be butts in seats.
Well Americans are hooked on drama for some reason.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Have to agree that Jerry should just get it done. If the media would just ignore Jerry until he signs them, it would go much quicker but the media talks about him everyday which is what he wants.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, he just makes himself too available.
It’s the reporters’ jobs to get quotes. I get that. But Jerry doesn’t have to always blow smoke about contracts the way he does.

Most GMs and FOs across the league usually say something like, “We are in talks and have no further comment.” That keeps the team and the player from having to be under a daily barrage of meaningless updates. We know they are in talks. Just let us know when it’s done…or the team is moving on. IMO.