Note to JJ: Fans don't care about how contract negotiations are going

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Some of you are ridiculous. Do you think Jerry is calling press conferences to announce the status of contract negotiations? He makes statements because reporters ask him about them. Don't complain about Jerry, complain about those that are asking him questions.
Jerry can't keep his mouth shut when asked those questions? He is incapable of something like, "no comment on that right now"?

ArtClink

Reaction score
If only Jerry Jones could realize how stupid he looks when he talks publicly about “how negotiations are going” with any player in any contract situation. He seems to think that he’s giving fans important updates. No one cares how contract negotiations are going. No one. What matters to fans? Either getting a deal done (or not) and moving on. Period. Give us the best players we can fit under the cap that help us win.

I honestly believe Jerry thinks it’s all part of the entertainment process he so loves. It not only doesn‘t work, in fact it often drives a player and their agent to dig their heels in deeper. Rarely do you see a player’s agent come out and speak publicly about “how the negotiations are going”.

And as far as fans go, I can only speak for me but I could not care less what JJ thinks about anyone’s contract negotiations. Probably 99% of what he’s saying is pure bull excrement. What matters to fans? Either getting a deal done (or not) and moving on. Period. Just shut up Jerry and give us the best team you can. Contract negotiations are not entertaining.

The BEST deals for both sides usually happen quickly and with almost no public comments made by either side. Contract negotiations are not entertaining. Give us the best team you can as soon as possible. We don’t need no stinking’ updates, lol.
As a Cowboys fan, here is my list of what’s important.

1. The team being the most profitable - As much as I have enjoyed our five Super Bowl wins, nothing compares to the thrill of being the most profitable.
2. I love having the curtains open at home games to blind our own players, esp during the playoffs where one play can be the difference between winning and losing.
3. I’m thrilled to hear the voice of our Fuhrer on his weekly interview. The constant chattering to the media is what sets Jerry apart from all the other loser owners.
4. Rowdy, introduced in 1996 represents the beginning of a historic playoff draught brought on by the refs cheated us, the ball not bouncing our way, and a huge conspiracy to prevent our Fuhrer from winning a divisional playoff game.
5. Finally, what fan isn’t thrilled to see Jerry in his head coaching outfit he dons every training camp. What a sight to behold. But don’t ask Jerry to remove his hat during the national anthem. He’s not that patriotic and besides his toupee might come off.
6. Spending a fortune on season tickets, SWAG, and of course Gene Jones Jeans for the wife at the Victoria Secret at the stadium.

ArtClink

Reaction score
It’s all about appealing to public perception.

It’s why it’s a conflict of interest for him wearing both hats of owner and GM.

Jethro cares more about what the public (fans and media) think than what’s actually goping on.
How dumb does Jerry think the fans are?

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Jerry can't keep his mouth shut when asked those questions? He is incapable of something like, "no comment on that right now"?
But why not give a comment. Just because OP isn't interested doesn't mean others aren't at least kind of wondering what's going on. He's not going into in depth details. Just saying things are progressing, we are talking, things are in the works, etc. If he says "No comment" people are just going to assume that nothing positive is happening.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most are discussing in the context of how it hurts or helps the salary cap, which is valid because it's part of the game. Nobody would care if that were not the case.
That is a sign of caring.. lol

I'm on record in wanting players to get whatever they can negotiate. Other than that, I don't see a need to go back/forth about it. The Cowboys have shown that they will pay for the players they want.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If I'm trying to get a new contract where I work, does the boss walk around telling everyone in the office "We're working on it"???

NO.

Speaking to the media about contract negotiations are going is not the way to get anything done....

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Isn't the meaning of "getting the deal done" part of negotiations? What am I missing here. I personally would like to know how they are going so I can field a quality fantasy football team.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's not surprising to me that there's no deal yet. We're not talking about some backup player or a lesser paid player like a holder or such. We're talking about the biggest piece of the cap pie, and lots of moving parts. And the cap is set in stone this year, it probably will go up next year but how much? Too uncertain to rely much on that.

I studied negotiating as part of my college business degree, jumping in and making or accepting an offer very quickly is often counterproductive, pay too quickly and the next time the player will expect top dollar. Accept too early and the opposite can happen, you lose some leverage.

And you never want to bid against yourself. How long do you wait between offers? Do you dig in your heels on one part of the deal? If so, better be prepared to lose the war (no contract) if you win the battle over that part.

Dak's a veteran player, who'll be throwing to guys he has been throwing to for 1-3 years, he doesn't play in preseason anyway, so it's not like the contract negotiations is preventing him from getting game time (to this point, at least).

No need to panic (doubt anyone is panicking anyway), season's two weeks away...

Havic

Reaction score
I don’t need the details I just need to know how close we are to getting it done. What a damn joke that after Jefferson got signed that this is so complicated.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a Cowboys fan, here is my list of what’s important.

1. The team being the most profitable - As much as I have enjoyed our five Super Bowl wins, nothing compares to the thrill of being the most profitable.
2. I love having the curtains open at home games to blind our own players, esp during the playoffs where one play can be the difference between winning and losing.
3. I’m thrilled to hear the voice of our Fuhrer on his weekly interview. The constant chattering to the media is what sets Jerry apart from all the other loser owners.
4. Rowdy, introduced in 1996 represents the beginning of a historic playoff draught brought on by the refs cheated us, the ball not bouncing our way, and a huge conspiracy to prevent our Fuhrer from winning a divisional playoff game.
5. Finally, what fan isn’t thrilled to see Jerry in his head coaching outfit he dons every training camp. What a sight to behold. But don’t ask Jerry to remove his hat during the national anthem. He’s not that patriotic and besides his toupee might come off.
6. Spending a fortune on season tickets, SWAG, and of course Gene Jones Jeans for the wife at the Victoria Secret at the stadium.
:laugh::laugh:

rags747

Reaction score
No One Cares Jerry! Hey Jerry, your Cowboys are worth $$ TEN BILLION DOLLARS $$ !!!
Socks to Jocks, We did it our Way Baby!

Ty in advance…

rags747

Reaction score
If I'm trying to get a new contract where I work, does the boss walk around telling everyone in the office "We're working on it"???

NO.

Speaking to the media about contract negotiations are going is not the way to get anything done....
What is your line of work? We can then determine what actions your boss is or is not doing.

phildadon86

Reaction score
If only Jerry Jones could realize how stupid he looks when he talks publicly about “how negotiations are going” with any player in any contract situation. He seems to think that he’s giving fans important updates. No one cares how contract negotiations are going. No one. What matters to fans? Either getting a deal done (or not) and moving on. Period. Give us the best players we can fit under the cap that help us win.

I honestly believe Jerry thinks it’s all part of the entertainment process he so loves. It not only doesn‘t work, in fact it often drives a player and their agent to dig their heels in deeper. Rarely do you see a player’s agent come out and speak publicly about “how the negotiations are going”.

And as far as fans go, I can only speak for me but I could not care less what JJ thinks about anyone’s contract negotiations. Probably 99% of what he’s saying is pure bull excrement. What matters to fans? Either getting a deal done (or not) and moving on. Period. Just shut up Jerry and give us the best team you can. Contract negotiations are not entertaining.

The BEST deals for both sides usually happen quickly and with almost no public comments made by either side. Contract negotiations are not entertaining. Give us the best team you can as soon as possible. We don’t need no stinking’ updates, lol.
No one cares about Jerry. So he says things like this to get the people talking.

It worked. We’re talking about it right now.

Just like he doesn’t realize he makes himself look like a dictator when he is the one announcing who’s making the 53 before the head coach.

He wants so badly to be taken seriously he does and says things that make the football world and fans take him less seriously.

Things won’t get better unless Stephen hires a GM and stays put on the yacht.