Signed by Cowboys Nussmeier to be named QB Coach

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Probably has more to do with who MM feels more comfortable with.
Kitna was a Garrett guy. He has only 1 year of NFL coaching experience, though coached at his high school, and a long time NFL QB.
But he said he came and took the QB coaching job because of his relationship with Garrett.

So MM feels he needs a more experienced guy that is familiar with his system. If there was a rift with Moore and Kitna, that had minimal impact on this decision.
Fire all RKGs

tomsanders921

Reaction score
This is my feeling. I was fine moving on if McCarthy had a QB coach from previous days. But why not keep Kitna if going from previous staff?
I'm sure McCarthy knows more about choosing a staff than we do. Jerry on the other hand does not. But he's no longer choosing the staff so I will reserve judgement until some of the results are in.

Oneiros

Reaction score
Well I think I read maybe in this thread that Kitna and Moore weren’t on the same page when it came to Dak.
That's what it's beginning to sound like. I guess this must have been where the "too many chefs in the kitchen" comment came from.

If nothing else, I just hope that Dak actually goes back to actually using his legs as a weapon this year. Although he'll never be a Lamar, Wilson, Watson, etc there's no reason why he can't pick up some yards when it breaks down much like he did during his rookie season.

Hopefully this season can bring back a more balanced approach to our game plan. I guess a lot of that will depend on which version of Zeke shows up in 2020.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It just amazes me on how the Jones tried with everything in their power to help Garrett succeed. But it seems that it was Garrett that did some of the self-sabotaging in order to protect his coaching status.

He spoke of leadership and integrity. Yet when it came to instilling those traits into the team, he was the first to falter. The dysfunction of Dallas didn't just happen overnight. Garrett certainly was not the solution. But he was also the main problem.

Garrett was not good at dealing with assistant coaches. It might have been his biggest flaw and that's saying something...

Reactions: BAT

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Garrett was not good at dealing with assistant coaches. It might have been his biggest flaw and that's saying something...

I just don't think Garrett was a people person. I doubt he got along with the asst. coaches and even some of the players. I doubt that any of the players were close to him. Thus the reason why there were many players complaining about him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just don't think Garrett was a people person. I doubt he got along with the asst. coaches and even some of the players. I doubt that any of the players were close to him. Thus the reason why there were many players complaining about him.

A big part of the problem was that he didn't work his way up the coaching ranks and therefore didn't have coaches loyal to him to bring in as assistants.

McCarty has a lot of options because he has worked with a large number of coaches over the years.