Signed by Cowboys Nussmeier to be named QB Coach

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Doug Nussmeier is expected to be named quarterbacks coach on Mike McCarthy’s staff after serving as the tight ends coach in 2018-19 under Jason Garrett, according to sources. He will replace Jon Kitna, who helped oversee Dak Prescott’s career highs in passing yards and touchdowns last season. Nussmeier played quarterback in the NFL and had been offensive coordinator at Alabama, Michigan and Florida before joining the Cowboys. Nussmeier will be Prescott’s fourth quarterback coach in five seasons.

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

Like this!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I wanted to keep Kitna but I have a feeling McCarthy will be coaching Dak more than anyone. With his track record of Qbs underneath him, Montana, Favre, and Rodgers, I’ll trust him.

you don’t know the history of MM and ARodgers.

they hated each other.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I don’t necessarily think Nussmeier is an upgrade in terms of technical skills teaching the QB. Kitna was a pro bowl QB. But he gets along better with Moore.

Not sure I'd go that far......think about it, Mike's never worked with Kitna or Nussmeier. We know he wanted Moore as his OC who of course worked with both this season. My guess, Mike leaned on Kellen for who would be a better fit. What's obvious is either Mike or Kellen did NOT want Kitna back. Rather than retain him in the same position, he was fired in favor of a coach who spent the last what, few years coaching TEs.

Those who are saying Kitna worked well with Dak......other than helping Dak with a few technical issues, how we know. What the QB room or playbook or play designs or communication for that matter. Either way, I'm 100% sure Mike's doing what he think is best for his offense and Dak. Let him do his job.........lol

Bigdog

Reaction score
you don’t know the history of MM and ARodgers.

they hated each other.
They may have hated each other but MM helped in developing to the qb he is now. There is no denying that. There is a post about how Rodgers has develop since rookie year. He was awful in that video.

Iago33

Reaction score
The part in that paragraph. Stephen Jones said it during an interview on the Cowboys Flagship Radio station 105.3 The Fan.

Stephen Jones does weekly radio interviews during the season and numerous radio interviews in the off-season.

There is a list of idiots that have never listened to any of those interviews but they'll insist there should be a link to them. Don't put yourself on the list.
I have never listened to the podcast and I am asking for clarification (no need to get your hackles up). Did Stephen say the stuff in your side note and that Garrett was threatened by Callahan an and Linehan?

Plankton

Reaction score
I believe that Nussmeier was a QB in New Orleans when McCarthy was the offensive coordinator, so there is some prior familiarity between the two.

conner01

Reaction score
Fans have stated over and over, a HC should pick his own staff
Guess what, he did

garyo1954

Reaction score
Latest I can find:

The Cowboys had, before McCarthy was hired, “too many chefs in the Dak kitchen," which sometimes resulted in Kitna conflicting with offensive coordinator Kellen Moore.

Last year - while Prescott inarguably experienced his best season as a pro - there were a lot of “QB brains” in the mix, from Garrett to Moore to Kitna to even tight ends coach Doug Nussmeier.

Moore is being retained but is to be stripped of his play-calling duties, in favor of McCarthy doing that himself. Joe Philbin will not only be the O-line coach but could also serve as the assistant head coach, likely in charge of the running game. Nussmeier’s future is as yet unknown; it's possible he says on in some capacity, maybe even shifting to QB coach.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...arthys-cowboys-reportedly-sack-qb-coach-kitna

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

Doug Nussmeier is expected to be named quarterbacks coach on Mike McCarthy’s staff after serving as the tight ends coach in 2018-19 under Jason Garrett, according to sources. He will replace Jon Kitna, who helped oversee Dak Prescott’s career highs in passing yards and touchdowns last season. Nussmeier played quarterback in the NFL and had been offensive coordinator at Alabama, Michigan and Florida before joining the Cowboys. Nussmeier will be Prescott’s fourth quarterback coach in five seasons.

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

Good move, I like it.

The problem with Kitna was that he knew absolutely nothing about the WCO. Never played in it and never coached it, so its not exactly a big surprise that Big Mike showed him the door.

Plankton

Reaction score
Good move, I like it.

The problem with Kitna was that he knew absolutely nothing about the WCO. Never played in it and never coached it, so its not exactly a big surprise that Big Mike showed him the door.

He played in the WCO with Seattle.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
I think 105.3 alluded to there might have been problems between Kellen and Kitna. So maybe with Kellen coming back they had to move on from Kitna. Only logical explanation to me.

Just thinking outside the box here.... But if McCarthy is going to call the plays, why does he even need an offensive coordinator? I know an OC does more than call plays.... I don't need an explanation of what an OC does. Me personally, I would have kept Kitna over Moore and let Kitna continue what he was doing with Dak.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have never listened to the podcast and I am asking for clarification (no need to get your hackles up). Did Stephen say the stuff in your side note and that Garrett was threatened by Callahan an and Linehan?
No, just in the paragraph...that they didn't give Callahan sufficient control. SJ was making reference to giving Linehan more control for 2018 saying he had been limited. He used Callahan as an example; although the conversation was really about Linehan in 2018 (The remarks were in 2018).

In another interview he said Garrett had failed to meet expectations. He can be very direct if the interviewers are asking serious questions.

For the past few years basically all of the Cowboys moves have correlated to things Stephen Jones said on air previously. It is obvious that SJ has been running the football operations and the Head Coach decision was the last question of whether Jerry would over-rule him.

My opinion is that without SJ, that JJ would have kept Garrett.

It's also my opinion that SJ had already researched Head Coaches and had already discussed terms with McCarthy's agent before McCarthy came for the interview. I think SJ basically prepped McCarthy/Agent on what Jerry would want to hear to make certain Jerry didn't object.

With Garrett gone, the coaches, players, scouting department, big contracts, etc. are all Stephen Jones decisions. Jerry will never give up being in front of cameras and microphones pretending to be the GM but Jerry is basically out on making football related decisions now.

Jerry's time has been trending away from football (Cowboys Team) operations since he built Jerry World, then more when he built mini-Jerry World (The Star). At the same time he has gotten old.

The pick of Martin over Manziel was the 1st really obvious sign that Jerry was deferring to Stephen Jones. Jerry did over-rule SJ when Jerry insisted on giving Dez a mega-contract but when they cut Dez that was an SJ decision. Neither Jerry or Garrett really wanted to dump Dez (It's funny that Dez blames Garrett).

roy31

Reaction score
We don't want witten teaching tight ends how to run very slow, and inhibit team success by insisting on playing when you haven't earned the right! Lol
Ooohhh I didn’t say I wanted him but I know how this organization works.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
I like how Todd Archer just conveniently "forgot" to mention that Nussmeier was a QB Coach for 16 years in a row before becoming our TE Coach.

I never really understood how we hired a dedicated career QB coach to be our TE coach, but also at the same time hired Kellen Moore to be our QB coach. Nussmeier should have been the QB coach and Moore should have been the Assistant QB coach.

Also... https://247sports.com/Player/Garrett-Nussmeier-46054223/