NY Giants and the Daniel Jones pick

J12B

Reaction score
I didn't watch any of day 1 of the draft and perhaps this has been a topic that has already been discussed, but wow, it seems that the Giants made a huge reach when taking Daniel Jones at #6 based on a good majority of the feedback regarding the pick.

Did the Gettleman and the Giants make an enormous mistake by taking Jones?

It sure sounds like it. So much doubt is behind Jones and now the pressure of being a #6 overall pick isn't going to make things easier for him.

I'm glad the Giants are in our division. This story is going to be fun to watch for the next few years, especially if he is a bust.

Reaction score
The NFL subreddit in general (even Giants fans) have been roasting the hell out of the Giants for the Jones pick. Right now it looks like a really bad pick especially where they took him. But we just don't know until all the QBs from this year's draft are in the NFL for a couple years or more. Jones could end up being the best QB from this draft for all we know.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Eli is still around and is slated to be the starter this year. If things really go south again for them this year, guess what? They can grab another top QB next season.

Laugh at the Giants all you want, but they've won two Super Bowls in the last 12-15 years while we sit around living in delusion and fantasizing about the past. People in Carolina gave Gettleman a bad reputation, but the fact of the matter is he helped largely build a team that contended for a Super Bowl. Let's hope that's not the case here.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Eli is still around and is slated to be the starter this year. If things really go south again for them this year, guess what? They can grab another top QB next season.

Laugh at the Giants all you want, but they've won two Super Bowls in the last 12-15 years while we sit around living in delusion and fantasizing about the past. People in Carolina gave Gettleman a bad reputation, but the fact of the matter is he helped largely build a team that contended for a Super Bowl. Let's hope that's not the case here.

True and this doesn't minimize the impact if they Jones does crap out, but they actually had a pretty decent draft IMO.

I like Lawrence but might have been a bit of a reach at 17. Baker was a good pick. Ximines is a freaky edge player. They may have gotten a true steal with Julian Love in the 4th.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Pretty sure they could've had Daniel Jones AND another 1st round pick (2nd at worst)
But if they truly think he is a real franchise QB, then I get it.
If they have any doubts, you have to trade down there

They got spooked when they heard two other teams were high on Jones and were willing to take him in the first.

They obviously feel he's the franchise guy, so it's understandable they grabbed him when they KNEW they could. If he ends up being a franchise QB, no one will be criticizing this pick because it will be 100% worth it.

I think the freak out over it is overblown - his tape isn't even horrible, just boring. Everyone wants flash.

Sydla

Reaction score
They got spooked when they heard two other teams were high on Jones and were willing to take him in the first.

They obviously feel he's the franchise guy, so it's understandable they grabbed him when they KNEW they could. If he ends up being a franchise QB, no one will be criticizing this pick because it will be 100% worth it.

I think the freak out over it is overblown - his tape isn't even horrible, just boring. Everyone wants flash.

Boring is a perfect description.

DHCBF66

Reaction score

Gettleman was not even around during the Giants SB runs, he was down in NC with the Panthers, a job in which he was fired from!

Jipper

Reaction score
who the heck knows...based on pre draft rankings it was a bad selection

based on real life, it could be the smartest draft move the giants have made in years....only time will telll

Sydla

Reaction score
Gettleman was not even around during the Giants SB runs, he was down in NC with the Panthers, a job in which he was fired from!

I think his point is that the decision makers in NY (owners, etc.) have made decisions and hired people that led to two SBs. So they seem to have a decent idea of what they are doing............ moreso than our two brain childs if you just go by the results the last 15 years.

Gettleman was also the GM in Carolina. They were coming off two losing seasons when he was hired and that first year, they made the playoffs after missing it for 4 straight years. They were also then in the SB two years later.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

He is talking about when the Panthers were contenders for the Super Bowl. But he was still part of the Giants organization when they went to 3 Super Bowls.

So, in total, teams he was a part of have been to 4 Super Bowls and have 2 wins. 1 Super Bowl appearance came as him being the GM. Not exactly a terrible resume.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Been discussed since the met it happens, unless h surprises every one he looks at best a bortles or Tannehill type ceiling..at worst hes bust ..every dak hater out there who rip him every moment even after a solid 3years and a 4th round pick needs to look at all the busts and reaches in 1st round QBS..

Sydla

Reaction score
Been discussed since the met it happens, unless h surprises every one he looks at best a bortles or Tannehill type ceiling..at worst hes bust ..every dak hater out there who rip him every moment even after a solid 3years and a 4th round pick needs to look at all the busts and reaches in 1st round QBS..

And now this becomes a Dak thread. LOL.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Huge mistake by the Giants. It’s completely baffling, unless they are angling to get Trevor Lawrence in 2021. They took a step in that direction with the Jones pick.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Dude, literally not what I said at all.

I live in Charlotte and am well aware of Gettleman's employment history. He helped take Carolina to the Super Bowl.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And now this becomes a Dak thread. LOL.
I'm saying Dak gets way too much flak as 4th rounder when scrubs like this get taken top10..my point could be worse, I can make it a Zeke thread take this dude or Zeke..? Zeke but oh no not RB even though the giants took SB earlier :)

I can make thisa Jones thread say what you will about JJ at least he didnt take Johny football but the giants took DJ

I can make this a ROMO thread at least he didnt get drafted... get it :)):lmao2::thumbup::popcorn:

Mr_437

Reaction score
Gettleman is building a good OL or at least putting resources into it. He has one of the elite RBs in the game. Daniel Jones will be stepping into a favorable position with that running game and a TE n slot WR...plus the benefit of watching how Eli goes about his business.

Who knows but their on the way to setting #8 up to have a chance at success.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is about to give a 4th round QB $30 million a year. That still needs another year to prove himself in many of fans opinion, other don't want him here.
So who are we to knock a 1st round QB pick by any team even it seems a reach at this point.
:lmao:

sarcasm you all, sarcasm