NYC and Conn. vacation ideas needed

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Hey y'all.

Next Thursday I am going on vacation to NYC and Connecticut. The man I'm seeing told me that we would do whatever I want. I've already told him I wanna go to ground zero. We'll be there for 4 nights/5 days. It's my first real vacation ever, so I wanna do as much as I can.

BTW.. He is a transplant from up there. He is a Giants fan :lmao2: Should make for a fun week seeing as I will be there 4 days after my Cowboys beat up his Giants :lmao:

And I WILL be stepping off the plane in my Novacek game jersey and "Dallas Cowboys - Gods team" baseball cap I made...

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Here are a few recommendations:

- see a Broadway show - Times Square is within close walking distance

- if you like museums, it's hard to beat their art and natural history museums - some of the best in the world

- the Statue of Liberty is nice to see, but kind of a letdown since it takes hours to walk up it and you can't go to the top anymore

- Central Park is cool - the museums are right there, too, so you could do both in a day, or a day each

- do a helicopter tour of the city - costs $100 or so per ticket, but well worth the view

- take a tour of NBC, Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall, etc.

- the boat tour (Circle Line Cruise) around the island of Manhattan was interesting (entrance is on the west side, around 50th street - can't remember specifically) - it goes by the Statue of Liberty so you can get a good picture of that

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
One of the coolest places I have ever been in NY was the DAC where they used to present the Heisman. I think it closed after 9/11 but I have pics somewhere of myself and GF at the time with a Heisman Trophy that had every inductees name at the time.

Its NYC there is a ton of stuff to do.

What do you like, what does he like ?

And are you really going to rockstar it or just play it cool ?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The Wax Museum is fun.

Times Square was a lot of fun.

ESPN Zone.

Radio City Music Hall. That's where the Draft was held when I was there.

Macy's is cool to see.

Juke refused to show me the building King Kong climbed.

Avoid revolving doors. They try to eat you.

Keep all train tickets in the clear sleeve of a binder. That way if someone spills beer on them you can still show them to the conductor.

Battery Park & Statue of Liberty.

Empire State Building.

Yankee Stadium. Even if not a fan, go for the History. Do not wear Red Sox gear. Was stressed very adamanatly to me.

You have to see Grand Central Station to believe it. Blew this country boy's mind.

Ask Juke to give you a list of good restaurants. He knows them all. There's an Italian one that was especially good. Name escapes me at the moment but I have it written down at home.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Hostile;1751704 said:
Juke refused to show me the building King Kong climbed.

Wasn't this the Empire State Building? One weekend we picked up a NYC city pass and were able to go to the front of the line. It still took an hour to get to the observatory deck, but that was better then three or four hours.

Hostile;1751704 said:
Keep all train tickets in the clear sleeve of a binder. That way if someone spills beer on them you can still show them to the conductor.

:laugh2: I remember the pics from this.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hostile;1751704 said:

Mavs Man;1751764 said:
:laugh2: I remember the pics from this.
That poor guy's face was classic. Every time he came back I held up the binder and he would just wave his hand at me.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;1751704 said:
Avoid revolving doors. They try to eat you.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

But can you recommend a good hotel?

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1751873 said:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

But can you recommend a good hotel?

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
The Long Island Marriott. No revolving doors.

Avoid the San Antonio Airport Hilton at all costs.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1751561 said:
One of the coolest places I have ever been in NY was the DAC where they used to present the Heisman. I think it closed after 9/11 but I have pics somewhere of myself and GF at the time with a Heisman Trophy that had every inductees name at the time.

Its NYC there is a ton of stuff to do.

What do you like, what does he like ?

And are you really going to rockstar it or just play it cool ?

Thank you all for the great suggestions.

skinsandterps... we are gonna rockstar it from what he is telling me. he said he is taking me to a place called Spago's??? Said I would love it. Said he would have to take me shopping before we go there. I guess my cruel girl or lucky jeans and cowboy boots won't cut it there...

All I know right now is that we are staying at the Hilton, going to that Spago's place, ground zero/Manhattan. And he did say he wanted to go to Yankee Stadium - WITH his Red Sox gear on. But I told him that if we do that, we have to go to Giants stadium with me wearing my Cowboys gear... especially since his beloved Giants are gonna get killed the previous weekend by my BELOVED COWBOYS.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Ah, what a bunch of tourist garbage.

:)

Ride the subway. At least once.

Take a cab ride. At least once. You might not live for a second one.

Restaurants...

Must go to Trattoria Trecolori....47th and 8th. You can even mention my name there (I'll PM ya with it) Ask Hos how good the place was.

If you want a restaurant with a KICKING view, go to The Battery Garden Restaurant...from your table you'll see the statue of liberty, Ellis Island, the entire NY Harbor which is about 50 feet from the restaurant....Governor's Island.

Make sure you buy a slice of pizza, preferably Sicilian pizza...nothing like it on the planet.

Same with bagels.

BB Kings restaurant on 42nd between 7th and 8th is cool...the restaurant is downstairs...and for whatever odd reason, never crowded.

Virgil's Tex/Mex...yep, come to New York for Tex/Mex food...is very good. 44th and Broadway.

The Tao restaurant is wild looking inside...and the food is great also. Its on 58th and Madison.

If you wanna go to a nice New York landmark, Sparks Steakhouse is the place where Paul Castellano was gunned down by the Gotti boys.

All of these restaurants have web sites if you want to check them out. Sparks is stupidly expensive...Tao and Battery park are marginally stupidly expensive...Trattoria TreColori and Virgil's are about average for NYC (the cost of a down payment on a house)....and BB's is very reasonable.

The Wax museum is fun.

Macy's will make your brain explode.

Hos was very impressed with Grand Central Station..."OOOOH, look at the way the marble is cut....and did you know that is genuine Peruvian Andes Sierra Madre swirl marble"

:rolleyes: ;)

Oh...and stay away from the revolving doors.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Juke99;1752482 said:

We grew to prefer Taxis >>>>>> Subway. The Subway was cheap, but always hot, muggy, crowded, and took forever to get to where you were going. Plus, we were always going east to west, or vice versa, and that isn't nearly as efficient as going north/south. Plus, if you're traveling with three or four people the difference per person in cost is negligible.

Juke99;1752482 said:
BB Kings restaurant on 42nd between 7th and 8th is cool...the restaurant is downstairs...and for whatever odd reason, never crowded.

This was true when we went there. That is odd. It had an interesting atmosphere. Very moody (i.e. bring a flashlight if you want to be able to read your menu).

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Mavs Man;1752491 said:
We grew to prefer Taxis >>>>>> Subway. The Subway was cheap, but always hot, muggy, crowded, and took forever to get to where you were going. Plus, we were always going east to west, or vice versa, and that isn't nearly as efficient as going north/south. Plus, if you're traveling with three or four people the difference per person in cost is negligible.

This was true when we went there. That is odd. It had an interesting atmosphere. Very moody (i.e. bring a flashlight if you want to be able to read your menu).

Oh, I only mentioned the subway as an experience...not a mode of transportation.

Fact is, the only efficient mode of transportation in NYC is your feet. :D

Glad you made it to BB's. It's got a great feel. Nice lunch place. Inexpensive. The food is good.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Juke99;1752482 said:
Ah, what a bunch of tourist garbage.

:)

Restaurants...

Must go to Trattoria Trecolori....47th and 8th. You can even mention my name there (I'll PM ya with it) Ask Hos how good the place was.
It was the best Italian food I have ever had bar none.

Juke99 said:
Make sure you buy a slice of pizza, preferably Sicilian pizza...nothing like it on the planet.
Yet you never did let me have a slice of NY pizza.

juke99 said:
Same with bagels.
That isn't the one you told me I had to try and then never took me to where they had it. Some kind of Jewish deli potato thing.

I probably am not even close, but that's what I remember.

Juke99 said:
The Wax museum is fun.
I tell people all the time how realistic some of them are. I still say the Dalai Llama was the most lifelike.

Juke99 said:
Oh...and stay away from the revolving doors.
Excellent advice if you ask me. The damn things try to eat you.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score

Yep. And they are really nice people there. Plus they love blonde women as you may have noticed last time.

You didn't stop eating for five minutes.

That isn't the one you told me I had to try and then never took me to where they had it. Some kind of Jewish deli potato thing.

Oh yep, Princess HAS TO buy a knish

I probably am not even close, but that's what I remember.

I tell people all the time how realistic some of them are. I still say the Dalai Llama was the most lifelike.

Excellent advice if you ask me. The damn things try to eat you.

Geez Louise, I woulda saved a fortune if I just walked you around and fed you pizza and knishes. :p:

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Juke99;1752503 said:
Yep. And they are really nice people there. Plus they love blonde women as you may have noticed last time.

Does that mean I'll get a really sweet deal on a meal???:pray:

sounds like a piece of furniture :lmao2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Juke99;1752503 said:

Was that them? I thought it was me. Tell Jan hello for me if you have a chance.

For those who do not know, Juke's lady is stunning.

Juke99 said:

You didn't stop eating for five minutes.
You didn't tell me that was in the bargain.

BTW, that reuben sandwich I had (at 2:00 in the morning) is still the best I've ever had too. How is it you're so skinny with all that good food around there? Must be from running away from guys like Irv and revolving doors.

Juke99 said:

That was the name of it. The curiosity over that one is still killing me.

Juke99 said:
Geez Louise, I woulda saved a fortune if I just walked you around and fed you pizza and knishes. :p:
You know, I still look at the pictures of that cathedral (St. Peter's?) and marvel at the architecture. I probably could have spent an entire afternoon right there on that block.

I really want to see the building King Kong climbed. Almost as much as finding out what a knish is.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Juke99;1752497 said:
Oh, I only mentioned the subway as an experience...not a mode of transportation.

Fact is, the only efficient mode of transportation in NYC is your feet. :D

Glad you made it to BB's. It's got a great feel. Nice lunch place. Inexpensive. The food is good.

Yeah. I agree with what you said wholeheartedly - try it ONCE. :D

They had a band playing at BB's the night we went. Wasn't my type of music, but tickets weren't available anyway. George Thorogood played there later that summer, but I had to work that night. :mad: We did catch a jazz band some time after that in a little hole in the wall somewhere around Penn Station. Can't remember the name, but it was nice.

We frequented an improv place a few times. We really liked a particular show on the weekends, but the last time we went they had yanked 'em and replaced with the standard standup comedians. Yuck. Out of the 15 they trotted out, 2 were "not terrible". One just made very, very crude Jewish jokes (because he was Jewish, that made it okay?) that were not funny and he got ticked at the ackward silence. One of the better ones was a girl from Plano, TX. "Any of y'all know where thay-at ey-is?" in a thick, Texas drawl. Uh, yep, we do. The other good one I see all the time on those Sierra Mist commercials (Jim Gaffigan). He was clean but still really funny.