nyc's song of the day

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
It was 44 years ago today....

The Beatles release Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on this day in 1967. Bob Dylan's instant reaction to the recently completed album Paul McCartney brought by his London hotel room for a quick listen in the spring of 1967 may not sound like the most thoughtful analysis ever offered, but it still to hit the nail on the head. "Oh I get it," Dylan said to Paul on hearing Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band for the first time, "you don't want to be cute anymore." In time, the Beatles' eighth studio album would come to be regarded by many as the greatest in the history of rock and roll, and oceans of ink would be spilt in praising and analyzing its revolutionary qualities. But what Bob Dylan picked up on immediately was its meaning to the Beatles themselves, who turned a critical corner in their career.

[youtube]JOO8-Jp-xsg[/youtube]

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
This thread just isn't the same until these two are added.

[youtube]rKPicUnsPPg[/youtube]

[youtube]be7iNHw8QoQ[/youtube]

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Norma Jeane Mortenson--who will become better known around the world as the glamorous actress and sex symbol Marilyn Monroe--is born on this day in 1926, in Los Angeles, California. She was later given her mother’s name, and baptized Norma Jeane Baker.

[youtube]Uvux60fqNU8[/youtube]

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CowboyDan;3964188 said:
I like this thread. It's like our own radio station. Now we just need more contributions. Maybe someday it will grow so big that we can each do our own "shows" every day. :cool:

There are at least two maybe three other nyc youtube song of the day threads. One or two in this forum and the original one in the members zone. They get buried every once in a while and it's easier to just start up a new thread instead of digging that one up. Plus, once a thread gets thousands of posts, it probably has a negative effect on CZ's database.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan;3964198 said:
This thread just isn't the same until these two are added.

[youtube]rKPicUnsPPg[/youtube]

Corrosion of Conformity put out a few really great songs. You can't post them without Albatross and of course, Clean My Wounds too.

[youtube]yvsQsao1F88[/youtube]

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
On June 1, 1968, Helen Keller dies in Westport, Connecticut, at the age of 87. Blind and deaf from infancy, Keller circumvented her disabilities to become a world-renowned writer and lecturer.

[youtube]fHTdrPL22-Y[/youtube]

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyDan;3964209 said:
Speaking of CoC, I really like "Voting with a Bullet"

Yes that song was pretty wicked.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Speaking of, I saw Corrosion of Conformity at the Bronco Bowl. I just read that it was closed and is now a Home Depot. How depressing. The Bronco Bowl was a great venue to see a show. It was large enough to bring in big acts, but small enough that your nose didn't bleed.

I saw David Lee Roth and dang, I can't remember the other band. They remind me of CoC. I've saw about 4-5 shows there.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
nyc;3964214 said:
Speaking of, I saw Corrosion of Conformity at the Bronco Bowl. I just read that it was closed and is now a Home Depot. How depressing. The Bronco Bowl was a great venue to see a show. It was large enough to bring in big acts, but small enough that your nose didn't bleed.

I saw David Lee Roth and dang, I can't remember the other band. They remind me of CoC. I've saw about 4-5 shows there.

One of my favorite "now closed" venues is/was Hammerjacks in Baltimore. It was a little dive located right underneath a series of highways. It held about 1000 people uncomfortably and was built to be treated roughly night after night. Yes, there was a trough in the bathroom. I saw a bunch of shows there in college.....the best one being Sick of It All with Helmet. Wall to wall mosh pit and one of the loudest concerts I've ever been to.

mobs_hammerjacks2.jpg

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
CowboyDan;3964221 said:
One of my favorite "now closed" venues is/was Hammerjacks in Baltimore. It was a little dive located right underneath a series of highways. It held about 1000 people uncomfortably and was built to be treated roughly night after night. Yes, there was a trough in the bathroom. I saw a bunch of shows there in college.....the best one being Sick of It All with Helmet. Wall to wall mosh pit and one of the loudest concerts I've ever been to.

Wait a sec.....There is a local DJ here in OKC who talks about frequenting this place all the time back in the day. His name is Ron and i cant recall his last name but anyhoos hes always talking about all the times hes seen KIX there.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Achilleslastand;3964228 said:
Wait a sec.....There is a local DJ here in OKC who talks about frequenting this place all the time back in the day. His name is Ron and i cant recall his last name but anyhoos hes always talking about all the times hes seen KIX there.

I'm pretty sure I was at the last of 3 locations of the club. It was a bigger venue in the 80's, then it was closed and moved twice before being closed for good in 2004. I'm not sure which one he was at.
Here's more info on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammerjack's

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyDan;3964221 said:

mobs_hammerjacks2.jpg

I think Kix used to play there a bunch back in the day.
Had a friend that always talked about hanging out with those guys at Hammerjacks.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CowboyDan;3964221 said:

mobs_hammerjacks2.jpg

Sounds like Joe's Garage in Fort Worth. I used to see Pantera there every other weekend. That was when they were still a local band in the D/FW area. They played Joe's one weekend, then Dallas City Limits the next swapping back and forth.

pantera-live-at-joes-garage-w-kerry-king-1989-3-dvd-77175.jpg

As for the Bronco Bowl, it was quite a bit bigger. It seated around 5,000 I believe. It was basically an enormous bowling alley that had all kinds of games and climbing walls and stuff, but also had the 5,000 seat stadium in the back.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
nyc;3964244 said:
Sounds like Joe's Garage in Fort Worth. I used to see Pantera there every other weekend. That was when they were still a local band in the D/FW area. They played Joe's one weekend, then Dallas City Limits the next swapping back and forth.

This reminds me of my favorite video of Dime:

[youtube]DblydSMeygY[/youtube]

How cool is this? He's out drinking, jumps onstage, plays a song on somebody else's guitar and is so accessible. This is why he is so missed by the fans.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Great stuff. Seek And Destroy was one of the first three songs I learned to play when I got my first guitar.

Speaking of accessible, Pantera, and Seek and Destroy. This wasn't Dime, but Phil Anselmo. We were I don't know maybe 16 or 17 at the time. We were at Joe's and we got this dude to buy us a pitcher of beer and we were drinking it. After a while this bouncer comes up to us and grabs us all by our shirts and drags us outside. The guy said wait right here. We thought the cops were coming or something. Instead Phil comes out and starts threatening to kick the crap out of us for drinking under age. :laugh2: He said if he ever sees us with a beer in our hand again he will just beat us down right then and there.

So, we go back in and sit back at our table near the stage. Pantera comes out and Phil points at us and says, "Next time...." and then they start in with Seek and Destroy! :laugh2:

Man, the late 80s were so much fun. Even when you where being threatened to get the crap kicked out of you!

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
nyc;3964284 said:
Great stuff. Seek And Destroy was one of the first three songs I learned to play when I got my first guitar.

Speaking of accessible, Pantera, and Seek and Destroy. This wasn't Dime, but Phil Anselmo. We were I don't know maybe 16 or 17 at the time. We were at Joe's and we got this dude to buy us a pitcher of beer and we were drinking it. After a while this bouncer comes up to us and grabs us all by our shirts and drags us outside. The guy said wait right here. We thought the cops were coming or something. Instead Phil comes out and starts threatening to kick the crap out of us for drinking under age. :laugh2: He said if he ever sees us with a beer in our hand again he will just beat us down right then and there.

So, we go back in and sit back at our table near the stage. Pantera comes out and Phil points at us and says, "Next time...." and then they start in with Seek and Destroy! :laugh2:

Man, the late 80s were so much fun. Even when you where being threatened to get the crap kicked out of you!

Oh wow! Great story. Phil was perfect for that band. I hate how things ended, but when they were together, they were something to see.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
CowboyDan;3963251 said:
On This Day in History...

The famous tower clock known as Big Ben, located at the top of the 320-foot-high St. Stephen's Tower, rings out over the Houses of Parliament in Westminster, London, for the first time on this day in 1859.

Without wishing to be too pedantic Big Ben is actually the name of the Bell in St Stephen's Tower. It's not the name of the Clock or the Tower. It's a common mistake.

Now onto .....

[youtube]P1j-6vRykFs[/youtube]

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Arch Stanton;3964548 said:
Without wishing to be too pedantic Big Ben is actually the name of the Bell in St Stephen's Tower. It's not the name of the Clock or the Tower. It's a common mistake.

Now onto .....

[youtube]P1j-6vRykFs[/youtube]

You're correcting The History Channel's website, fyi.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CowboyDan;3964759 said:
You're correcting The History Channel's website, fyi.

They need correcting. ;)

I was going to play some Ratt today. Maybe Round and Round, but then this song came out of my phone and it changed my mind. :)

[youtube]TvpaK8aDJOY[/youtube]