O.K. If you have 4 downs and you want to kick the field goal on first down?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
links18;1333117 said:
That is why we should have lined up for a FG on 3rd down and ran a fake in the Seatlle game. No real downside to doing that. If we don't convert, kick the FG on 4th. If its a first down run the clock out some more then kick the FG. If its a TD than its a TD. :(

Right... let's take out all our best skill players (TO, TG, JJ, MB3, etc.) and throw to a couple of TEs when Seattle is going to be playing the fake.

Once again, and I guess for the first time for those who missed it... you simply don't kick a FG on 3rd down when it doesn't win you the game (i.e. not sudden death). When there's time left on the clock, and Seattle can score, you go for the most points possible. If we kick the FG on 3rd down, we're just daring Josh Brown to beat us later. You go for the TD and try to make them have to score 6. We were just half a yard short.

trimee

Benched
Reaction score
kapolani;1333047 said:
There is no such thing as 3th down.

It's 3rd down.

That just bugged the hell out of me.

Once is a mistake - twice is just plain wrong.

Wait, wait, wait! You can too go for a field goal no matter what down it is 1rd, 2th, 3st or 4nd.

links18

Reaction score
I don't think Seattle would have been playing the fake on 3rd down, they would have been thinking "they are kicking it on 3rd down in case they bobble the snap. etc." Besides if it doesn't work what have you lost? You still kick the FG on 4th down, or in other words, you are in the exact same position we were in after the pass to Witten. In fact, the pass play was riskier given that an incomplete would have stopped the clock.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Section 5 Field Goal
Article 1 A field goal is scored when all of the following conditions are met:
(a) The kick must be a placekick or dropkick made by the offense from behind the line
of scrimmage or from the spot of a fair catch (fair catch kick).
(b) The ball must not touch the ground or any player of the offensive team before it
passes through the goal.
(c) The entire ball must pass through the goal. In case wind or other forces cause it
to return through the goal, it must have struck the ground or some object or
person before returning.

I thought this was an interesting part of the rule. I would love to see it actually happen and see how everyone reacts.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
links18;1333767 said:
I don't think Seattle would have been playing the fake on 3rd down, they would have been thinking "they are kicking it on 3rd down in case they bobble the snap. etc." Besides if it doesn't work what have you lost? You still kick the FG on 4th down, or in other words, you are in the exact same position we were in after the pass to Witten. In fact, the pass play was riskier given that an incomplete would have stopped the clock.

No you don't understand. The entire premise of kicking it on some down other than 4th depends on 1 of 2 things.

1) You have time for only one play, or

2) The kick will win you the game outright... meaning it's sudden death.

If you don't have one of those two, you never kick on any down other than 4th. End of story.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
joseephuss;1333791 said:
Section 5 Field Goal
Article 1 A field goal is scored when all of the following conditions are met:
(a) The kick must be a placekick or dropkick made by the offense from behind the line
of scrimmage or from the spot of a fair catch (fair catch kick).
(b) The ball must not touch the ground or any player of the offensive team before it
passes through the goal.
(c) The entire ball must pass through the goal. In case wind or other forces cause it
to return through the goal, it must have struck the ground or some object or
person before returning.

I thought this was an interesting part of the rule. I would love to see it actually happen and see how everyone reacts.

Looking at B, does that mean you can kick the ball off of a defensive players head and into the goal and it counts.

Imagine a DB sitting at the back waiting for the ball to fall short, he misses bang right on the helmet, and bounces over the goal post

that would be the greatest moment ever

(unless it happened to us)

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
stealth;1332761 said:
only reason to kick on 3rd is in case the team screws up like false start etc etc then you get 4th to kick it.

This must be the offseason.

joseephuss

Reaction score
dargonking999;1334695 said:
Looking at B, does that mean you can kick the ball off of a defensive players head and into the goal and it counts.

Imagine a DB sitting at the back waiting for the ball to fall short, he misses bang right on the helmet, and bounces over the goal post

That is exactly what it means. I have seen partially blocked kicks that still managed to go through the uprights. Still counts.

It would be funny to see your scenario even if it happened to a Cowboy player. That is of course it didn't cost Dallas the game. :D

sillycon

Reaction score
dargonking999;1334695 said:

Ah, the Jose Canseco play... The play where the ball bounces off his head and over the fence for a homerun.... Hilarious stuff...