Observations from the big Win!

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
1. Tavon Austin - I can't remember last time Dallas had receiver with this kind of burst. Mismatch on field. I watched Jenkins (NYG CB) shut down Dez for years. Austin made him look like small child on skates for 1st time. He starts from here on out.

2. Dorance Armstrong - First time I have seen rookie DE bull-rush OL like he was channeling Reggie White. If he adds a move or two I think he can be as good as Tank within few years. Freakish strength for rookie.

3. TEs - please leave me alone. Dress none of them next week except for Rico.

4. Dak - wasn't great but much improved. Clear to me he needs to involve his legs to balance out other deficiencies. If he can somehow get onto roll this is dangerous team with great RB and improving D.

5. Defense. Offenses look like they are in mud trying to move ball on this defense. Might have reached tipping point of Dallas defense being more talented than most of offenses they will face.

7. Taco. Might be most improved player on this team. First time I saw him in TC (last year) you could see how dangerous he could become if he added strength. You now have player who might have longest reach in NFL who is getting taste of QB sacks. Early in his development and could get considerably better.
Pretty good analysis. I’m with you on everything but the taco. I also think he improved but I’m still wish washy on him. But great stuff bro.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
We need to get a good backup QB. I think Dak is mainly top notch when he is running the ball and risks injury. It is what it is and its a chance that needs to be taken if thats the type of QB he is but we need a plan B in case he gets hurt.

Dak made some crucial first down runs.

There’s this Kap guy who would be perfect but some say he’s bad for business. (Nike disagrees.)

kramskoi

Reaction score
Of course it will be a problem. That's why I predicted 8-8. But this fascination with QB stats is funny. The team was in total control of that game last night from start to finish and the big topic is Dak's yards. He played well. He made plays. He even threw deep several times. He used his legs to move the chains and extend drives. I think he had a 3rd and long strike called back that would have extended another drive. But, but, but he needs 200 yards.
And 8-8 is worth WHAT again? Prescott has got a lot of proving left to do this year. The defense may or may not prove to have the requisite degree of salt that makes his middling sufficient but I'm not ready to bet on that one yet. The Giants don't look like a team that's going places this year.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
And 8-8 is worth WHAT again? Prescott has got a lot of proving left to do this year. The defense may or may not prove to have the requisite degree of salt that makes his middling sufficient but I'm not ready to bet on that one yet. The Giants don't look like a team that's going places this year.
Well, just another QB since Aikman we didn't win with. No biggie, on to the next one.

king987

Reaction score
3. TEs - please leave me alone. Dress none of them next week except for Rico.

Yup, this is on my one major negative from the game. It's still early, who knows maybe one will break out, but there is very little optimism with that tight end group right now. Sure Rico was open in that end zone, but what else can you say positive about them?

I think not having that big, dependable target affects a young QB like Dak, too. There's a reason teams usually match a young QB with a dependable tight end. It's that safety blanket. Sure, finding another Witten so soon is near impossible, but they clearly needed to do a better job in the offseason than what they did.

Not much they can do now, either. Maybe they upgrade via trade if they stick in the playoff race, but I wouldn't count on it.

JustChip

Reaction score
Is that a serious question? I didnt say remove PLAYS from Daks day, im talking about 1 play.... but leavig that play in Daks day, he still had a whopping 160 yards. Look, all you Dak apologists can say what you want..... can you, with a straight face,say that a QB that consistently throws for below 200 yards can win consistently in the NFL? If you say yes, show me some examples of CURRENT QBs that have been doing so.

Yes, it's a serious question. Frankly, I don't care if he throws for more 200, 300 or 400 yards, what I care about is does he perform within the context of the offensive scheme and do the Cowboys win in that situation. That was the case last night.

Ben Roethlisberger in 2005 had 8 of his games with less than 200 yards (one with 93 which they won), including the Super Bowl with a whopping 123 on 9 of 21 (5.9 YPA), which they won. I asked about Andrew Luck because he was 21 of 31 yesterday for 179 which is a 5.8 YPA.

Finally, your snarky Dak "apologist" accusation is way off base. I've been very realistic about Dak - he's a 3rd year QB that was drafted in the 4th round and was not envisioned to be starting. I've seen enough in the first 2 years to think he could be the QB for the next decade and enough to say that he may not be. This year will provide clarity, but it won't be based on whether he is a fantasy football stud, but whether he progresses in decision making and being able to consistently adjust play-call and protection schemes, and not turn the ball over excessively. Oh, and ultimately, that the team wins with him.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yes, it's a serious question. Frankly, I don't care if he throws for more 200, 300 or 400 yards, what I care about is does he perform within the context of the offensive scheme and do the Cowboys win in that situation. That was the case last night.

Ben Roethlisberger in 2005 had 8 of his games with less than 200 yards (one with 93 which they won), including the Super Bowl with a whopping 123 on 9 of 21 (5.9 YPA), which they won. I asked about Andrew Luck because he was 21 of 31 yesterday for 179 which is a 5.8 YPA.

Finally, your snarky Dak "apologist" accusation is way off base. I've been very realistic about Dak - he's a 3rd year QB that was drafted in the 4th round and was not envisioned to be starting. I've seen enough in the first 2 years to think he could be the QB for the next decade and enough to say that he may not be. This year will provide clarity, but it won't be based on whether he is a fantasy football stud, but whether he progresses in decision making and being able to consistently adjust play-call and protection schemes, and not turn the ball over excessively. Oh, and ultimately, that the team wins with him.
You are correct about this year bringing clarity, but you picking out a game here or there to point out how you can win while not throwing for big numbers does not help your argument.

I will ask you AGAIN... will any team in this league be able to win consistently with a qb that throws for below 200 yards consistently? I dont need to go back over every gane Luck has played in his entire career to know that the games he throws for under 200 yards are the outlier for him..... I also dont need to have all time great defensive teams that have won a SB with a below avg QB pointed out to say see.... it can be done.

But yes, if our defense this year resembles something close to the 85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens... we have a shot. How many NFL teams that you would put in the top 8 teams in the NFL (pick your own teams) have a QB that will throw for under 200 yards in more games than he throws for over 200 yards????

JustChip

Reaction score
You are correct about this year bringing clarity, but you picking out a game here or there to point out how you can win while not throwing for big numbers does not help your argument.

I will ask you AGAIN... will any team in this league be able to win consistently with a qb that throws for below 200 yards consistently? I dont need to go back over every gane Luck has played in his entire career to know that the games he throws for under 200 yards are the outlier for him..... I also dont need to have all time great defensive teams that have won a SB with a below avg QB pointed out to say see.... it can be done.

But yes, if our defense this year resembles something close to the 85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens... we have a shot. How many NFL teams that you would put in the top 8 teams in the NFL (pick your own teams) have a QB that will throw for under 200 yards in more games than he throws for over 200 yards????

Well, Jacksonville for one. Blake Bortles passed for less than 200 yards 7 out of 16 games last year. But yes, if Dak goes 16 games this year with less than 200 yards, this team won't go anywhere. But the problem is he has for passed for more than 200 yards, 8 times last year and 12 of 15 in 2016, so to say he can't consistently isn't borne by the facts.

By the way, the 2005 Steelers were not on par with the 1985 Bears nor the 2000 Ravens. They were a very good defense, but not otherworldly (4th ranked by Points Allowed and Total Yards Allowed).

Carter

Reaction score
Tell you what, why don't YOU and all your hate fans suit it up, and go play with a D lineman in your face or up your arse on just about 3 out of 4 plays, let's see if YOU pro's can git it done with abhorrent blocking and a blind side Lb coming down on you...my bet, you wouldn't be so smug about it on Monday...

Thats the dumbest Thing ive read here in a while. Im not supposed to start on QB for the Dallas Cowboys and want to earn Million with it.

Apparently a lot of QBs have way worse O-Lines but can get it done with their Arm.

In your logic i could say why doesnt he or you do my Job everyday from 8-6 and be responsible for 100 workers. I bet you wouldnt be so smug come Monday.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
That pass needed to be to the corner, it was inside and lucky it wasn’t picked off. On top ****, of all the times to go for. A play,he chose that time with a 5ft8in. Wr that was completely covered.

Was the pass completed or no?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Why? Because apart from the early strike to Austin...it was a short passing game. Even if you give him the big play, he still couldn't get close to 200 yards passing. If you don't think that is concerning then that's your business. Over a stretch of 15 games he has 10 where he couldn't deliver 200 yds passing. If you don't think that will be a problem when teams like Green Bay, New Orleans, Atlanta or others (with real offenses) come around then you are fooling yourself.

Dak does well when he plays against Green Bay. Maybe its just the coaching that fails him with the faulty playcalling?

DandyDon52

Reaction score

what about qb's that throw for over 200 and still lose ?? bet there are a bunch of those.
200 isnt a magical number you need to forget about that.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

great post , that is how I see it.

Decision making is a bigger key than how many yds he gets, and so far no ints?
Only been 2 games I need to see more games to say anything about dak.
They are just now getting warmed up.

Now on topic, I think throwiing that long pass for a td was a great confidence builder, I just hope he and coaches notice THAT WASNT ON THE SIDELINES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also good to see him running the ball more, that is needed, just do it safely.

They used tavon a little and even Rico !! lol
Elliot did better, but still only 17 carries and under 100 yds.
The cowboys were balanced, 25 runs 25 passes I think. I would like to see it more run heavy.
But a win is a win, and now on to seattle and hopefully they can win again.
Both teams are pretty even so it comes down to who coaches the best.........:omg:

JustChip

Reaction score

Now on topic, I think throwiing that long pass for a td was a great confidence builder, I just hope he and coaches notice THAT WASNT ON THE SIDELINES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cowboys were balanced, 25 runs 25 passes I think. I would like to see it more run heavy.
Both teams are pretty even so it comes down to who coaches the best.........:omg:

The Tavon pass was definitely a confidence booster. I think that was in the coaches' minds as much as sending a signal to the Giants. You, as a coach, have to have confidence that Dak can deliver if you're going to make that call. That was as close to perfect a pass as I've seen delivered. Like the Rico pass, which I could tell was way overthrown almost from the moment he let it go, I could tell the Tavon pass was spot on before it had traveled 1/4 of the way.

I'm nervous about the Seattle game. They're a desperate team now down 2 games in their Division after 2 games playing in their home opener. I always fear team's home openers. I was concerned about Denver last year (but certainly didn't see the totally inept debacle that it ultimately was) and Carolina this year. I don't know if you watched the Chicago~Seattle game last night, but there was some intensity on defense that bordered on personal foul territory. Dallas is going to have to match that intensity. Dallas will have to play old-school NFCE smash-mouth offensively and not let Wilson do what Wilson does best - scramble and improvise.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
what about qb's that throw for over 200 and still lose ?? bet there are a bunch of those.
200 isnt a magical number you need to forget about that.
Lol.... yeah, because damn near everyone throws above that very low number, and someone is losing. Forget looking at the loser, look at the winners and see what those doing....... I know the winning qb is rarely throwing for below 200.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Both teams are not even..... our defense is head and shoulders above Seattle right now. They have no online. Our team should win this game.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Well Dak played much better than last week. I just don't know about him. Other than the first play his passing yards wasn't that great. still he did play much better than last week.