Twitter: OC Kellen Moore addresses run game vs Bucs

JPM

Reaction score
Smart game plan… Patriots will run the ball 50 times one game and 10 the next. Depends on the match up.
Sooo the exact opposite of Garrett. All runs until 3rd and 9.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Throw the ball to the darn RB that can win in space and get tackled in bounds that allows tick, tick, tick, tick, tick and Tom Brady would not get 1:49 to beat you. You have an All Pro RB and he only got 13 touches and you lost. There is a cause and effect.

So somehow throwing to the RB has some time advantage over throwing to an WR?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I kept telling people here that Dak has final say on all plays run. He audibles and makes the call whether it is a run or a pass. Some people just didn’t want to believe me and wanted to scapegoat the OC when a play does not work.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Frankly I was more surprised to see Tampa give up on the run as they did.

Did you not see how crappy Anthony Brown was playing? Every receiver who went over there was able to eat. I am certain I saw them over on the sideline almost coming to blows over who was going to get to abuse him next.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Did you not see how crappy Anthony Brown was playing? Every receiver who went over there was able to eat. I am certain I saw them over on the sideline almost coming to blows over who was going to get to abuse him next.

I agree still felt Tampa would run more than they did considering how poorly the defense was vs the run last season. Dallas only ran it 18 times and Tampa less than that 14 times. While Tampa did pick on Brown, Dak did some picking himself.

Nav22

Reaction score
Love this mentality.

When the run game isn’t going anywhere, you’re doing the opponent a favor by “sticking with it.”

pansophy

Reaction score
Yards are Yards. However, yards that do not give the advantage of time of possession gets you beat by Tom Brady, Roger Staubach, John Elway, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Drew Brees, Pat Mahomes, and every other good QB with a good defense.

Throw the ball to the darn RB that can win in space and get tackled in bounds that allows tick, tick, tick, tick, tick and Tom Brady would not get 1:49 to beat you. You have an All Pro RB and he only got 13 touches and you lost. There is a cause and effect.

Its nice to know Dak can check out of plays. Check out and throw to the All Pro RB. You do not have to hand the ball off 28 times. I can not tell if Moore is blaming or explaining. No got darn leadership at Head Coach continues to haunt the Arlington Jonesboys.
True, yards are not TOP. But we did have a sizable time of possession advantage in the game. The passing game led to long sustained drives. You can 'run' but if you are 3 and out then you don't win the TOP battle that way either.

So yards are yards, and time is time.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
That's one thing to consider for the people complaining about Moore's play calling balance. How many are called but Dak checks out of the plays.

dfense

Reaction score
Funny how when O wasn't clicking it was Garrett's O. Convenient.

Strangely, Cowboys run D ranked higher than Tampa's after one game.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
#1 run D in the league returning all players including the best DT tandem in the league.

Missing one of the best OL and run blocking RG's in the league.

Facing an offense that will put at least 28 up against your defense.

I am surprised he admitted to calling 28 runs and even more surprised Prescott only audibled out of 12.

Try to run the ball against that team is the NFL definition of bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Imagine the score without the 4 turnovers.
3 turnovers that mattered... imagine the score if Cee Dee caught the ball over the middle.
Imagine the score if Gregory had 5 sacks
Imagine the score........... enough alreayd

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Thanking our lucky stars for Moore. The only people that care about how we get the yards are those with an agenda.

Either Dak haters or Zeke apologists.

Yeah I have never cared how the yards come as long as they come and we win.. However any time you lose then it's always going to be fair game to contemplate what could been done differently. If we'd won I certainly wouldn't give a rip how many times we ran vs passed. We didn't so I feel pretty comfortable wondering aloud if maybe a little more running especially in the red zone might have gotten us a better result.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I was surprised by 1 run play the Cowboys had in the game and wonder if we will see it again and that was having Zeke lined up at FB with Pollard at TB on a 3rd and short Dallas was able to pick up the 1st down by Zeke

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Love this mentality.

When the run game isn’t going anywhere, you’re doing the opponent a favor by “sticking with it.”

I'm sorry but this is a copout.. The Cowboys first three running plays were 1st and 10, Zeke for 4, then 3rd and 1.. Zeke got 2 and converted the first down. The next running play he got 4 on 1st and 10. The Cowboys then proceeded to pass the next 10 offensive snaps. Now I don't know about others but converting short yardage for a big first down and then getting 4 on the the other two running plays is not "going nowhere.." The next running play was 3rd and 3 we went with Pollard who was stuffed for no gain. Maybe what people are saying is that Pollard should not be given the ball on 3rd and short.. Zeke converts in that situation like 80% of the time. He's the guy I want to be handing the ball to in any short yardage situation. He's just a stronger back.. I get that the coaches want to try and capitalize on Pollard's quickness.. but maybe 3rd and short is not the right time.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I was surprised by 1 run play the Cowboys had in the game and wonder if we will see it again and that was having Zeke lined up at FB with Pollard at TB on a 3rd and short Dallas was able to pick up the 1st down by Zeke

What stood out to me about that play is that it really wasn't blocked worth a darn. Three guys basically grab hold of Zeke a yard behind the line of scrimmage but he is able to squirm his way for the first anyway..