Twitter: OC Kellen Moore addresses run game vs Bucs

817Gill

Reaction score
You don't know if he identified them correctly or not. We don't know what the key reads were and if he actually audibled into something better.

Audibles and team record are definitely correlated.
Look at Kellen’s quote, he’s the one that knows I’m just relaying information.

From tweet:

“28 runs were called Thursday night, Dak checked out of 12 of them because of the look the Buccaneers, the NFL’s best run defense last season, were showing.”

He audibled 12 because of the run looks Tampa was showing. Moore said it and Machota relayed it in the tweet. Go listen to Moore’s press conference if you want as well.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When we lose a player via injury.....shouldn't it be the next man up.....instead of excuses. Every team has injuries. This board spills excuses on a regular basis, then picks a player to blame. Just sayin'.
Ok who are you saying was out? Martin? McGovern stepped up lol…what else did you want?

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
....no complaints here. Moore called a excellent game. Football is give n take game. If it looks like a nail, use a hammer.
If we had a defense to hold 50 yards in 1:34 , we would have walked away with victory , when we dont have , offense have to play defense, they should have ran the clock down to as low as possible before kicking , ( penalties didn’t help)

OldJarhead

Reaction score
Moore was great in this game, had a great game plan and i like how he says yards are yard dont matter if its passing or running long as we move the dam ball. Well said.

Yards are NOT yards. That kind of thinking is silly. That is Fantasy Football thinking. POINTS is what matters!!!! The YARDS that matters are the ones you get in the RED ZONE and this offense is sorry in the red zone. Has been for a minute. Anyone who has been seeing my post knows why I think that, so I will not continue to pound that nail. Kellen the Kid has something to do with it though.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Zeke ran 11 times for 33 yards.

I’d rather see Dak throw for a safe 5-6 yard gain than to keep giving Zeke the rock.

Zeke’s really not that good of a runner anymore. He’s not a home run threat and doesn’t even make the first guy miss most of the time.

Oh, plus he fumbled a ton last season.

If Zeke got 20+ carries Thursday night, he probably ends up with like 65 yards and there’s no way we score 29 points.

I don't mind getting easy yards via the pass either but at some point you're going to have to play football. All that horizontal crap was nice but when you get into the red zone you need to at least be able to threaten the defense with the run or they just drop 8 guys into the end zone and watch their guys go after your QB with impunity. I will respectfully disagree on your points about Zeke.. He made the first man miss several times last night. The problem was that they first man was getting into the backfield a lot and Zeke was having to fight his way to the line of scrimmage. Yes he did fumble a ton last season early.. but I don't believe any after Thanksgiving and only once after game 6?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Rocyaice.....simply laugh at the reasons we abandon/didn't run......OL was banged up all last year and the RB gets the blame. ZMartin out and we can't run.......we punk'd in the trenches all the time.
You feel like we would’ve won had we ran more?

Cmac

Reaction score
…...not necessarily, but the way to keep teams "honest", you can't become one-dimensional. We need some "dogs" to ensure we don't always adjust to a team's strengths as opposed to becoming a better, well-rounded team.....we need to dictate the way a game is going to go. All I'm saying. I understand the Buc secondary was the weak link, but our inefficiencies show as we get in the red zone, as the field shortens. And this is something I haven't seen KMoore get good at, to be called "phenomenal", a guru, or get a pass each week.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah I have never cared how the yards come as long as they come and we win.. However any time you lose then it's always going to be fair game to contemplate what could been done differently. If we'd won I certainly wouldn't give a rip how many times we ran vs passed. We didn't so I feel pretty comfortable wondering aloud if maybe a little more running especially in the red zone might have gotten us a better result.

I dont wonder because I know the answer is no.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
We ran pretty well on them running outside. No way up the middle but we did well when we did run outside. Moore just didn't do it enough. Zeke had his one big run outside.

I can see that, even if it was more Pollard than Zeke. You got a guy like Pollard in your tool box, use him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have the exact opposite feeling....almost anyone can create yards with this group of talent on offense. however, how you manage the game is what separates good OCs, from great ones and Moore has been very average there. his play calling inside the redzone is very bad. he tends to abandon the run and go pass happy very quickly....yards are yards is not exactly right...its an excuse for what he did. so in his opinion, passing 74 times in a game and running once and getting 400 yards is OK....it actually is not, because the way the defense will play you is different if they know you are going to pass vs. you may run the ball. he needs to be demoted, become offensive quality control coach and work his way back up....he is still learning, but continues to make some of the same mistakes.

I disagree. If you are struggling to run vs a top run defense and you put yourself in 2nd and long 3rd and long because you are intent on running that is not smart they is playing into the hands of what the defense wants. I love to run the ball but it is nothing but foolish to run if you are not being effective with it.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

I do.. Specifically TWO MORE after the two minute warning after the long completion to Lamb.. We threw it twice, got a holding on one of them and ran it once. As a result of an incomplete pass we saved Tampa a timeout. Run it all three times there you eat up at least another 40 seconds of clock and both Tampa timeouts. So instead of using 30 seconds in that situation and letting Tampa off the hook with a timeout in their back pocket we would have used closer to 1:10 and left them with none, which again would have made that 10 second runoff after their penalty their death knell.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I disagree. If you are struggling to run vs a top run defense and you put yourself in 2nd and long 3rd and long because you are intent on running that is not smart they is playing into the hands of what the defense wants. I love to run the ball but it is nothing but foolish to run if you are not being effective with it.
I am not saying force the run, although there are times that it may be the right thing to do (another conversation), but there are different ways to run, such as a screen pass to the RBs getting them to the edges and stretching the defense. outside of this game, Moore does have a tendency to get away from the run rather easily, where his comfort is in the passing game, which also plays right into the hands of the defense....

quickccc

Reaction score
I have the exact opposite feeling....almost anyone can create yards with this group of talent on offense. however, how you manage the game is what separates good OCs, from great ones and Moore has been very average there. his play calling inside the redzone is very bad. he tends to abandon the run and go pass happy very quickly....yards are yards is not exactly right...its an excuse for what he did. so in his opinion, passing 74 times in a game and running once and getting 400 yards is OK....it actually is not, because the way the defense will play you is different if they know you are going to pass vs. you may run the ball. he needs to be demoted, become offensive quality control coach and work his way back up....he is still learning, but continues to make some of the same mistakes.

And I don’t think the almost anybody are qualified as OC’s , it’s more to it than just seeing names on paper roster, and think it’s a done deal with anyone else.
How often has it been regurgitated that the best coaches know how to place their best players in the best position to excel ?

It’s been too many coaches that they think they can and are qualified ..and they are not.
Just ask Scott Linehan, ..or Jason Garrett.

I’d prefer not want to be re-taking such risks again. And we may have to in the near future, if other NFL teams are indeed interested to chance Kellen as their HC.
Kellen isn’t perfect and he has his faults, but does his strengths outweigh his faults ?

He needs improvement in a few areas, but he also brings some substance that contribute to help making this offense that much more formidable, imo.

With the yards are yards commend, I took as a brush off.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I dont wonder because I know the answer is no.

So do you deny that if the Cowboys had simply run the ball three straight times after the long Lamb completion and eaten up most of the clock and both of Tampa's timeouts THEN kicked the FG they would not have won? If so then you understand as little about situational football as Moore does.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I am not saying force the run, although there are times that it may be the right thing to do (another conversation), but there are different ways to run, such as a screen pass to the RBs getting them to the edges and stretching the defense. outside of this game, Moore does have a tendency to get away from the run rather easily, where his comfort is in the passing game, which also plays right into the hands of the defense....

Dallas did that with both RB and WR, Dallas ran screens. However that is not running the ball. I want to run the ball but I do not want to get back into a situation where we run 1st down 2nd down and stuck in 3rd and long. Running effectively I get but running to say we ran the ball x number of times is meaningless if we are not producing. TB was not a team you want to force the run. I do think this coming game vs LA Chargers will see Dallas run the ball a lot more than vs Tampa. I think who we plan and how they are lining up on defense makes a big difference, we know 12 run plays called in the tampa game were changed at the line of scrimmage but even that is done based on the formations that Dak sees at the line.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So do you deny that if the Cowboys had simply run the ball three straight times after the long Lamb completion and eaten up most of the clock and both of Tampa's timeouts THEN kicked the FG they would not have won? If so then you understand as little about situational football as Moore does.

I think had we not had the holding call that moved us back that the likelihood of running the ball would have been greater.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think had we not had the holding call that moved us back that the likelihood of running the ball would have been greater.

The Cowboys had three holding calls on passes and none on runs.. You do the math..