OC Schottenheimer update on Trey Lance

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I'm hoping that the Cowboys are being open minded on how to use Lance, odds are his success isn't going to be as a pocket passer that carries the team with his arm,,, pretty sure San Fran never intended to rely on him that way.
I just don’t understand why they can’t use his athleticism. Defenses are geared to stop Dak. I remember when the Ravens finally benched Flacco for Lamar and went on a playoff run because teams were not ready for Lamar’s running. The one positive thing about Lance I hear from camp is he is a supreme athlete. By the way Lamar was more limited as a passer his first year then Lance is now.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The football part of me has to give Lance credit. He's making mistakes (which training camp is for, especially for a young inexperienced QB), but he's eager to ask for more advice and try to improve his performance. This season's preseason games are right around the corner, so Trey Lance will have lots of opportunities to show improvement and if he is worth keeping on the roster.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I see PC double speak on this tidbit . He’s not going to trash the guy one week into camp. I assume Daks back up will be awarded upon pre season competition . Let see who gets into end zone moved the offense when the other team is not a friendly jersey .

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I just don’t understand why they can’t use his athleticism. Defenses are geared to stop Dak. I remember when the Ravens finally benched Flacco for Lamar and went on a playoff run because teams were not ready for Lamar’s running. The one positive thing about Lance I hear from camp is he is a supreme athlete. By the way Lamar was more limited as a passer his first year then Lance is now.
Based upon early reports on him teams will key in on this Athleticism and force him to throw.....sounds like he needs time to develop and expectations are on hold until we get a better diagnosis. Is he a fit for this team if we extend our current QB though?

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Lamar runs 4.3. Lil different

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Based upon early reports on him teams will key in on this Athleticism and force him to throw.....sounds like he needs time to develop and expectations are on hold until we get a better diagnosis. Is he a fit for this team if we extend our current QB though?
I don’t think Lance has anything to do with Dak’s extension. Lance was basically an upgrade over Will Grier. The Cowboys took a flier on him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trey has never done some of this stuff, so what I see is when his footwork speeds up and the ball comes out on time, he’s getting it, he’s starting to figure it out.
Doesn't sound like coach talk to me. Lance will be on the field in 9 days. We will all see and can be the judge.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Pretty honest take I think, a mix of good and bad. Sure, it’s good to hear positives, but no coach worth his salt is going to emphasize any negatives over positives.

I disagree with any anyone (coach or otherwise) that says a young athletic QB should also use his legs. I think a young QB needs to be repetitively trained to suppress that initial instinct and to always look to throw the ball (which obviously can travel faster in the air much faster than any human can run), and only as a last resort use his legs. Sure, he can have a few plays here and there that call for the latter, but 98% of everything should be processing routes and getting rid of the ball correctly and on time.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’ll say this , whoever loses the competition will have ZERO trade value .
I am rooting tor Trey to win the qb2 spot, but based on reports, I wouldn't bet on him. BUT if he does, I can see a Washington/Quinn or Philly/Moore throwing a late round pick for Rush. I'm talking a 7 just to get him before he hits the street.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see PC double speak on this tidbit . He’s not going to trash the guy one week into camp. I assume Daks back up will be awarded upon pre season competition . Let see who gets into end zone moved the offense when the other team is not a friendly jersey .
I'm pulling for Trey...like any Cowboy...but i also detected some ..double talk. Maybe he was just checking down on everyone's expectations?

RonWashington

Reaction score
I am rooting tor Trey to win the qb2 spot, but based on reports, I wouldn't bet on him. BUT if he does, I can see a Washington/Quinn or Philly/Moore throwing a late round pick for Rush. I'm talking a 7 just to get him before he hits the street.

Precisely why Wash or Philly won’t trade in division for a back up QB . Don’t want Dallas to get a pick . Only certain teams start throwing around draft picks for back up QB’s right Jerry .