OC Schottenheimer update on Trey Lance

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The football part of me has to give Lance credit. He's making mistakes (which training camp is for, especially for a young inexperienced QB), but he's eager to ask for more advice and try to improve his performance. This season's preseason games are right around the corner, so Trey Lance will have lots of opportunities to show improvement and if he is worth keeping on the roster.
I see you are finally onboard with Lance being a backup. The kid was never a threat for Dak. Don’t let the Dak haters fool you. :laugh:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
This is no different than what Zimmer is saying about Mazi. Coaches will not publicly criticize their players

It is fairly meaningless IMO
If Lance was having a good camp, it would be “he’s impressed, clearly evolved, he’s ready to take on a bigger role”

What Schottenheimer has said instead is the worst you’ll ever hear a coach say about a player

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If Lance was having a good camp, it would be “he’s impressed, clearly evolved, he’s ready to take on a bigger role”

What Schottenheimer has said instead is the worst you’ll ever hear a coach say about a player
+1.....He's nicely saying Trey still has a long way to go but he loves his work ethics. What stands out to me is some basic mechanical issues he is still having that you expect from a player going into his 5th year.

stinkface

Reaction score
Lamar runs 4.3. Lil different
I'm not sure we know that. Lamas wouldn't run the 40 at his pro day or at the Combine. Still no doubt he is faster then Lance who also wouldn't run the 40 at his pro day either. PS. Lamar ran in unofficial 4.34 at his speed day in college, but that was 7 years ago. I'm sure he is right now still faster then Lance who is taller and weighs more.

Double PS. How can Lance have been in the league this long and still have bad footwork. Makes no sense at all.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I'm not sure we know that. Lamas wouldn't run the 40 at his pro day or at the Combine. Still no doubt he is faster then Lance who also wouldn't run the 40 at his pro day either. PS. Lamar ran in unofficial 4.34 at his speed day in college, but that was 7 years ago. I'm sure he is right now still faster then Lance who is taller and weighs more.

Double PS. How can Lance have been in the league this long and still have bad footwork. Makes no sense at all.
He aint running 4.9 thats for sure

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did not read any double talk in that. But just a coach being honest for once.

However, did not MM say he is nearly mastering the system. So what did he mean by that.
As now, they say he is improving every day. So which is it.
Most likely it is real practices now, and he is improving upon the changes they made in his footwork and throwing motion.

And if he is seeking info from Cooper and Dak. Are they helping him as well. Have not seen anything reported on how Dak is mentoring Trey.
You know, like Rodgers did not mentor Love. He just sulked about it. But I do not see that in Dak's personality. So he probably is.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just don’t understand why they can’t use his athleticism. Defenses are geared to stop Dak. I remember when the Ravens finally benched Flacco for Lamar and went on a playoff run because teams were not ready for Lamar’s running. The one positive thing about Lance I hear from camp is he is a supreme athlete. By the way Lamar was more limited as a passer his first year then Lance is now.
Yeah but then you're stuck with a $34 million dollar WR who isn't getting many touches

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If he’s working on mechanical thoughts (footwork) the speed of the game becomes much faster. This may help explain some of issues he’s having during game simulations.

This may be a lengthy process. How much patience do the Cowboys want to, and can afford to, have?
It took Geno Smith seven years to become a serviceable starter. If Lance can't show No. 2 ability this offseason, he'll probably bounce around the league learning before ever getting a starting chance again, if he ever does. It's not his fault that he's so raw. I mean, Romo got multiple years to develop before we threw him in the fire and he played a lot in college.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He needs to be in an RPO offense at least at first. Still no pptimistic about him but that would be his best chance.
In the RPO, you need to make quick decisions. This is where Lance is struggling making quick decisions.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If he’s working on mechanical thoughts (footwork) the speed of the game becomes much faster. This may help explain some of issues he’s having during game simulations.

This may be a lengthy process. How much patience do the Cowboys want to, and can afford to, have?
The clock is running. I wonder how often a 3rd overall pick's 5th year option is not picked up.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Just saying what he’s supposed to say. The media reports on Lance haven’t been good. One said he doesn’t even look like an NFL QB. Broaddus said a lot of his throws are high. Nick Eatman said Lance didn’t look impressive in OTA’s. He thought Cooper Rush would maintain the backup job.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Trey is the only hope to rejuvenate this fanbase (the non Dak stanleys).

If he cant take the mantle next year and they re-sign Dak, the Dark Ages will continue
We would be better off drafting a QB in Round 7 next year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t think Lance has anything to do with Dak’s extension. Lance was basically an upgrade over Will Grier. The Cowboys took a flier on him.
From everything the media has been saying watching him practice he doesn’t even look like an upgrade over Will Greer. For a fourth round pick he was supposed to be an upgrade over Cooper Rush. I saw at least one fan spouting off prior to camp that Lance is the best QB on our roster. :laugh: