Ocyrus, Creed Humphrey, Christian Harris. How do we never learn?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Because we suck at drafting in the 2nd round…can’t wait to see how we botch it up this year!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pff of 72… considering the number of penalties can you begin to imagine how dominant he was.

PFF of 72 isn’t the end-all, be-all for me.

13 penalties is a lot more than 6.
Regardless the scheme flexibility and Torrence’s limitations are the bigger issue!
And I think it’s clear that there’s an issue with this team’s ’scheme flexibility’ and how it impacts the players they’re looking for.

While Torrence and Buffalo are running all over the Dallas defense, the Cowboys can no longer establish a viable running attack.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I actually didn't mind the Sam Williams pick, because he was a scheme fit with top-20 type of talent. But drafting Schoonmaker... cmon. You're talking about a TE that caught 40 passes in 5 years. That guy is a project at best. Kelvin Joseph, you're talking about a guy who quit 2 separate college teams within about 12 months. That's a walking red flag.

As far as Torrance, he'll be fine. OLmen usually make a big jump between year 1 and 2.

MikeT22

Reaction score
The Ferguson / Schoonmaker situation shows that Jerry’s guys not only cant properly evaluate college talent, but they can’t even evaluate players on their own team.

exciter

Reaction score
PFF of 72 isn’t the end-all, be-all for me.

13 penalties is a lot more than 6.

And I think it’s clear that there’s an issue with this team’s ’scheme flexibility’ and how it impacts the players they’re looking for.

While Torrence and Buffalo are running all over the Dallas defense, the Cowboys can no longer establish a viable running attack.
Not the point. How dominant was he to have a 13 penalties and still score a 72?
Buffalo ran on us because they hit us with a game plan no one in the country was or could have been expecting.
Hmmm… no one said the players on this team couldn’t play man. Their skillset is better suited to zone especially for 4 of the 5. Hence you don’t target players who are so athletically challenged they’re relegated to the opposite man scheme and likely to eat themselves out of the league in 5 season!

kskboys

Reaction score
Only the Kelvin Joseph pick was forced IMO. They had just lost Awuzie to FA, didn't do anything in free agency, shocking I know, and missed out on their top 2 guys in Surtain and Horn in the first.
Dallas saw Diggs look decent one play and burnt the next and the other starter was Anthony Brown.

By round 2 Joseph was a guy they looked past his college red flags. It was obvious they went into the 2021 needing a corner, and taking one high up in the draft.

Sam Williams was an edge player Quinn supposedly was pumping for pre-draft. After 2021 and the turnaround Quinn brought I'd assume the front office was going to let him have say in the grocery shopping.
If you needed a corner, Asante Samuel Jr was sitting there, and was a much better prospect. I don't understand how we think.

John813

Reaction score
If you needed a corner, Asante Samuel Jr was sitting there, and was a much better prospect. I don't understand how we think.

Yea, who knows how they rated Kelvin higher? Size? arm length? Mix tape?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not the point. How dominant was he to have a 13 penalties and still score a 72?
‘Not the point’ you want to hear I guess.

Buffalo ran on us because they hit us with a game plan no one in the country was or could have been expecting.
Oh brother.

Hmmm… no one said the players on this team couldn’t play man. Their skillset is better suited to zone especially for 4 of the 5. Hence you don’t target players who are so athletically challenged they’re relegated to the opposite man scheme and likely to eat themselves out of the league in 5 season!
No. What I said was the players we have can’t establish a reliable running game.

exciter

Reaction score
‘Not the point’ you want to hear I guess.

Oh brother.

No. What I said was the players we have can’t establish a reliable running game.
Nonsense! They established the run perfectly good when we were running predominantly outside zone … problem didn’t arise until this year trying to run inside zone and man!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nonsense! They established the run perfectly good when we were running predominantly outside zone … problem didn’t arise until this year trying to run inside zone and man!
I’m glad to hear that you were satisfied with it.

My expectations are higher than middle of the pack mediocrity.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Worst part is you can do this almost every year in the 2nd…

1942willys

Reaction score
The 2023 draft looks bad after its first year
need to give it at least one more before declaring it a disaster

1942willys

Reaction score
O'Cyrus is a heavy one position mauler.

Cowboys like "Twitch" and "Flex" guys that are light and can play multiple spots but mostly are never great in any lol
low round picks I can understand wanting position flex. But anything 3rd rd and up should be a guy that is excellent AT ONE POSITION
I do not want a jack of all trades; I want a master of ONE

kskboys

Reaction score
Those holes in our team that cause us to not be able to stop the run? It's easy to see that they are caused by bad drafting, especially in the 2nd. Our 2nd round picks are mostly not contributing, and that's what's costing us. Sam Williams should be approaching double digit sacks by now. If he takes that long to develop, then he's not 2nd round talent.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We tend to fall in love w/ certain traits, one of them being height.
LBs athleticism over instincts.

CB height / arm length over ability to mirror.

DT twitch instead of ability to anchor.

Upside injury picks instead of good players.

TEs…

Did I miss anything?

Verdict

Reaction score
I don’t know but someone in the organization needs to smash someone’s pills into pieces for not taking Creed Humphrey in the second round. That was a no brainer. Instead we decided to shop for groceries at the local sewage waste plant. I’m still pissed about that one.

Verdict

Reaction score
LBs athleticism over instincts.

CB height / arm length over ability to mirror.

DT twitch instead of ability to anchor.

Upside injury picks instead of good players.

TEs…

Did I miss anything?
That fast twitch nonsense needs to be scrapped.