Off-season Needs by priority

Cowboyny

Reaction score
1) Defensive Tackle-with Nolan trending to return as the team's DC, his defense requires a strong NT to be successful. His scheme is designed to stop the run with the front 7 and keep his two safeties away from the box. Starter and depth needed at the position.

2) Safety-We have been waiting on Xavier Woods to breakout, it never has happened. He most likely will depart via fa. As for the other safety spot, they started with HaHa who couldn't make the team, his replacement was benched in Thompson and now they have been rotating Wilson with a few other street fa's. Wilson might be apart of the solution as a starter or a good #3 safety option, who knows what their plan is for Reggie Robinson? Starter and depth needed.

It's no surprise that the top two need positions have been undervalued by the front office for many years. Question is will they continue to just bring in low level talent to fill their needs?

3) Cornerback-team has just two cb's under contract next season in Diggs/Brown, the likes of Awuzie and Lewis just haven't done enough to warrant a 2nd contract. Will one be resigned? Maybe to a low level bridge deal, but the team needs to upgrade the position. Diggs is the type of CB they have been searching for a long time, one who has legitimate ball skills. Brown is steady and versatile, but more of a #3 CB then anything else. Could Robinson factor in here? Team needs another starting caliber CB along with depth at the position.

4) Linebacker-we are all well aware of Jaylon Smith's struggles and his contract. Most likely will still be on this roster next season. Lve is good when healthy, Lee's career is year to year now and behind them either expiring deals or low level unproven talent. Team has to improve the depth at the position. A prospect who can push Jaylon would be optimal. Another Hitchens type would be great.

5) Guard/Tackle-the health of our two veteran tackle starters will determine how much of a need this truly is. They also need to prepare to replace Connor Williams at Guard as he becomes a fa after next season. Brandon Knight/Connor McGovern could factor in the decisions.

6) Defensive End-Lawrence/Gregory and Armstrong are all still under contract. We don't know if Aldon Smith will be resigned, Crawford isn't expected back. Can Gregory avoid trouble in the off-season? Team could use another base, run defensive end to replace Crawford, one who could pair up with Gregory which was a good combo in the past.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
1) Defensive Tackle-with Nolan trending to return as the team's DC, his defense requires a strong NT to be successful. His scheme is designed to stop the run with the front 7 and keep his two safeties away from the box. Starter and depth needed at the position.

2) Safety-We have been waiting on Xavier Woods to breakout, it never has happened. He most likely will depart via fa. As for the other safety spot, they started with HaHa who couldn't make the team, his replacement was benched in Thompson and now they have been rotating Wilson with a few other street fa's. Wilson might be apart of the solution as a starter or a good #3 safety option, who knows what their plan is for Reggie Robinson? Starter and depth needed.

It's no surprise that the top two need positions have been undervalued by the front office for many years. Question is will they continue to just bring in low level talent to fill their needs?

3) Cornerback-team has just two cb's under contract next season in Diggs/Brown, the likes of Awuzie and Lewis just haven't done enough to warrant a 2nd contract. Will one be resigned? Maybe to a low level bridge deal, but the team needs to upgrade the position. Diggs is the type of CB they have been searching for a long time, one who has legitimate ball skills. Brown is steady and versatile, but more of a #3 CB then anything else. Could Robinson factor in here? Team needs another starting caliber CB along with depth at the position.

4) Linebacker-we are all well aware of Jaylon Smith's struggles and his contract. Most likely will still be on this roster next season. Lve is good when healthy, Lee's career is year to year now and behind them either expiring deals or low level unproven talent. Team has to improve the depth at the position. A prospect who can push Jaylon would be optimal. Another Hitchens type would be great.

5) Guard/Tackle-the health of our two veteran tackle starters will determine how much of a need this truly is. They also need to prepare to replace Connor Williams at Guard as he becomes a fa after next season. Brandon Knight/Connor McGovern could factor in the decisions.

6) Defensive End-Lawrence/Gregory and Armstrong are all still under contract. We don't know if Aldon Smith will be resigned, Crawford isn't expected back. Can Gregory avoid trouble in the off-season? Team could use another base, run defensive end to replace Crawford, one who could pair up with Gregory which was a good combo in the past.
I have started to watch other defenses in the NFL to find out what teams are doing to force turnovers and get off the field on 3rd downs. The better defensive teams and the Patriots seem to have hybrid players that play either cornerback/safety and safety/linebacker. What I think the Cowboys need to do in no particular order is solidify the front four, Chose one true middle linebacker who makes the defensive calls and is the leader of the defense (LVE), draft a stud cornerback and stud safety. Develop hybrid play players from small schools that have size and speed traits.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I have started to watch other defenses in the NFL to find out what teams are doing to force turnovers and get off the field on 3rd downs. The better defensive teams and the Patriots seem to have hybrid players that play either cornerback/safety and safety/linebacker. What I think the Cowboys need to do in no particular order is solidify the front four, Chose one true middle linebacker who makes the defensive calls and is the leader of the defense (LVE), draft a stud cornerback and stud safety. Develop hybrid play players from small schools that have size and speed traits.

If Nolan does indeed stay on as DC, he runs a hybrid scheme similar to what the Pats employ. Solidifying the DL is the most pressing need, before we can even think about improving the back-end. If they cannot stop the run, it won't matter who they have in coverage. It wouldn't surprise me if they add multiple players within the interior.

I believe we need a true #1 CB who can match-up against the speedy WR's, where Diggs would be best covering the wideouts with size.

As for safety, if Nolan stays, his scheme uses the safety position different then the traditional way. More playing deep, halves then single high and 1 in the box. It's like a hybrid CB/FS in his scheme.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If Nolan does indeed stay on as DC, he runs a hybrid scheme similar to what the Pats employ. Solidifying the DL is the most pressing need, before we can even think about improving the back-end. If they cannot stop the run, it won't matter who they have in coverage. It wouldn't surprise me if they add multiple players within the interior.

I believe we need a true #1 CB who can match-up against the speedy WR's, where Diggs would be best covering the wideouts with size.

As for safety, if Nolan stays, his scheme uses the safety position different then the traditional way. More playing deep, halves then single high and 1 in the box. It's like a hybrid CB/FS in his scheme.
I just don’t know about LVE. We have to trust him because he is under team control for two more seasons. LVE still only plays about 70% of the snaps since he has been back and does not have a lot of tackles. If we could get rookie LVE he would solve lots of issues with the team. Not gonna lie I am on team tank but I really want players like Diggs, A. Brown, DLaw, Gregory, Gallimore, Donavon Wilson and LVE to play well because I think we could fill in the rest of the holes on defense in the draft. I know it’s wishful thinking because of LVE and Gregory’s history but I want to remain positive.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I just don’t know about LVE. We have to trust him because he is under team control for two more seasons. LVE still only plays about 70% of the snaps since he has been back and does not have a lot of tackles. If we could get rookie LVE he would solve lots of issues with the team. Not gonna lie I am on team tank but I really want players like Diggs, A. Brown, DLaw, Gregory, Gallimore, Donavon Wilson and LVE to play well because I think we could fill in the rest of the holes on defense in the draft. I know it’s wishful thinking because of LVE and Gregory’s history but I want to remain positive.

When Lve was drafted, many thought he was an ascending prospect with pro bowl 3 down potential. As a rookie, he has a legit star for this team. Made many game changing plays. He is slowly coming back after his long layoff and has flashed at times. His biggest concern is his lack of durability thus far in his young career. I believe with more snaps, he will only get better, but must prove he can stay healthy for a full season.

Xavier187

Reaction score

Every bit of this can be taken care of easily.
It will all start with what spot we will be picking at.
Hopefully 4th or better so we can trade back maybe twice and gain alot more early picks maybe even move up from the second round possibly.
But again. It can be dealt with.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Someone earlier pointed out that this is a weak class at the top [other the Sewell and QB's]. Now if we're sitting in a slot with a hot QB available then ya that would work. Otherwise it you cant find a trade partner then your drafting in your slot.
It looks like this wont be like last years haul of young talent but I could be wrong.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Disagree with #4...

We don’t need a guy to push Jaylon. Rather, we need Jaylon off the roster. We need a starting quality player to pair with LVE.

LB is a big need IMO. Lee is yet another year older and I’m not confident he even plays in 2021. Guys like Bernard, March-Lillard, Thomas, and Gifford (our new Justin Beriault) are rotational guys and spot starters; I’m not holding my breath on them.

Im not sure what DTs are available in FA next year but I would be looking to fill a spot that way versus plugging in a rookie.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Disagree with #4...

We don’t need a guy to push Jaylon. Rather, we need Jaylon off the roster. We need a starting quality player to pair with LVE.

LB is a big need IMO. Lee is yet another year older and I’m not confident he even plays in 2021. Guys like Bernard, March-Lillard, Thomas, and Gifford (our new Justin Beriault) are rotational guys and spot starters; I’m not holding my breath on them.

Im not sure what DTs are available in FA next year but I would be looking to fill a spot that way versus plugging in a rookie.

Parsons is the only prospect that could potentially knock Jaylon off the roster right away. The front office isn't going to release him if they don't have a legitimate replacement. Also, need to factor in his contract, it comes far more affordable to release him after the 2021 season. I'm in favor of drafting Parsons outside of the top 5, but really would like to see the need drafted later on.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Every bit of this can be taken care of easily.
It will all start with what spot we will be picking at.
Hopefully 4th or better so we can trade back maybe twice and gain alot more early picks maybe even move up from the second round possibly.
But again. It can be dealt with.

There is a lot of football left on our schedule, there is no guarantee we will be picking within the top 3. More likely towards the bottom half of the top 10. We have a new staff that is still trying to bring a winning culture. It doesn't look like we are going to have many meaningless games with the division still in the balance.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Someone earlier pointed out that this is a weak class at the top [other the Sewell and QB's]. Now if we're sitting in a slot with a hot QB available then ya that would work. Otherwise it you cant find a trade partner then your drafting in your slot.
It looks like this wont be like last years haul of young talent but I could be wrong.
Cowboys have two options really unless they screw up and win a couple more. Sewell or trade down. That’s it unless the Jets pass on on the QB’s, which I can’t see them doing. Darnold’s had one great game as a pro - last year against the Cowboys.

visionary

Reaction score
If we assume we sign Dak, the needs IMO in order are

1. DT difference maker
2. Top end safety
3. Top end TE
4. Starting LB
5. OL

If we are drafting top 3 then I’m not in favor of trading down

either take QB or take the franchise LT

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If we assume we sign Dak, the needs IMO in order are

1. DT difference maker
2. Top end safety
3. Top end TE
4. Starting LB
5. OL

If we are drafting top 3 then I’m not in favor of trading down

either take QB or take the franchise LT
You like our cornerbacks? Besides Diggs and A. Brown do we have anyone else. Minnesota is going to give our secondary fits tomorrow.

visionary

Reaction score
You like our cornerbacks? Besides Diggs and A. Brown do we have anyone else. Minnesota is going to give our secondary fits tomorrow.

Our CBS would be fine if we got push up the middle from real DTs and good coverage of the middle by a competent MLB and safety play

this fascination with CBS on CZ is tiresome.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Our CBS would be fine if we got push up the middle from real DTs and good coverage of the middle by a competent MLB and safety play

Fascinations??? We have none. I do agree we need to be strong up the middle. We have not been since 2009.

Beaker42

Reaction score

There’s not one single group on D that couldn’t be upgraded. Only our DE’s are adequate or above at this point. Everything else pretty much sucks quality-wise.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
There’s not one single group on D that couldn’t be upgraded. Only our DE’s are adequate or above at this point. Everything else pretty much sucks quality-wise.
Hate to rain on your period but we could use a defensive end as well. Tank has 3 sacks, Gregory is bipolar and Smith is a free agent. We need the whole defense to be overhauled.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

We have two corners under contract. They are going to need to address the area.

visionary

Reaction score
We have two corners under contract. They are going to need to address the area.

elite defenses are built up the middle with DL, MLB, and great safety play. Until we learn this and act accordingly we won’t have a great defense

Beaker42

Reaction score
Hate to rain on your period but we could use a defensive end as well. Tank has 3 sacks, Gregory is bipolar and Smith is a free agent. We need the whole defense to be overhauled.
Guess I was a little bipolar in my post ...... yeah our whole D needs help but AT THIS MOMENT our DE’s are the only guys performing well at the moment. Now I will say our D as a whole has improved but we need to upgrade the individual parts. Still probably failing to convey my thoughts well.