Off-season priority: Release Jaylon Smith

Zman5

Reaction score
Funny he always says "go watch the tape" because I don't think he watches tape. From his play, I think his lack of prep is more of his problem than any physical ailments.

There is no anticipation in his game. He only sees what's happening in front of him and most times that's too late and that's why he is always a step behind.
And the reason, a good OC can fool him easily and take him out of the play.

stiletto

Reaction score
You save 400K and take a dead cap hit of 9.4 Million. IOW you will pay his replacement more than you save even if its a journeyman like Joe Thomas.

Yeah true but you'd be getting down the road and away from him sooner than later. Won't happen but it SHOULD.

John813

Reaction score
Because he's not very good and makes way too many mental mistakes.

Eugene Lockhart used to lead the league in tackles on some awful Cowboys teams.

There's a reason why Kiko Alonso became a backup after posting gaudy stat lines with Miami or why Martinez was allowed to walk from the packers. Even with 500+ tackles in 3 years.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d take Barbie over Jaylon. At least he didn’t think he was God’s gift to football.

Carpenter needed Parcels to develop. He played well at OLB in the 3-4 scheme as a rookie. But never got a chance to stick there. Instead, wade tried to turn him into an inside LB and Bobby was never physical enough to play that position. He was basically an edge rusher at OSU and moving him inside was really stupid. It killed his confidence and career.

Jaylon is a very smart dude. He knows he sucks and can't do physically what he used to do. So, he's decided to try and cover that up with enthusiasm and hustle. It worked out nicely for him but not the cowboys. I think MM sees through the act and his days are numbered in Dallas.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Yeah true but you'd be getting down the road and away from him sooner than later. Won't happen but it SHOULD.

If all the LBs had a big drop in this scheme with no DTs in front of them, why not see if it was a fluke year instead of cutting a guy for no salary cap benefit?

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Funny he always says "go watch the tape" because I don't think he watches tape. From his play, I think his lack of prep is more of his problem than any physical ailments.

There is no anticipation in his game. He only sees what's happening in front of him and most times that's too late and that's why he is always a step behind.
And the reason, a good OC can fool him easily and take him out of the play.
I was thinking the same thing. You have the Audacity say go watch the tape. If anyone watched your tape, you’d see yourself get blown by or get flag.

Kaiser

Reaction score
There's a reason why Kiko Alonso became a backup after posting gaudy stat lines with Miami or why Martinez was allowed to walk from the packers. Even with 500+ tackles in 3 years.

Martinez "walked away" to a 3 year contract for 30 Million dollars. He wasn't cut in the middle of a contract like some fans here want.

stiletto

Reaction score
If all the LBs had a big drop in this scheme with no DTs in front of them, why not see if it was a fluke year instead of cutting a guy for no salary cap benefit?

I dunno because, he's a d-nozzle?? LOL

sideon

Reaction score
How many players is it going to take before ya'll realize that they're not the problem?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Don't take cap advice from Kaiser. He's wrong.

Yes, there is a way to save on the cap for 2021. It just means taking another cap hit in 2022 as well.
Good to know.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It’s pretty accurate this article breaks it down.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/co...-potential-release-dead-money-salary-cap/amp/
I'm now feeling good about this.

J817

Reaction score
Carpenter needed Parcels to develop. He played well at OLB in the 3-4 scheme as a rookie. But never got a chance to stick there. Instead, wade tried to turn him into an inside LB and Bobby was never physical enough to play that position. He was basically an edge rusher at OSU and moving him inside was really stupid. It killed his confidence and career.

Jaylon is a very smart dude. He knows he sucks and can't do physically what he used to do. So, he's decided to try and cover that up with enthusiasm and hustle. It worked out nicely for him but not the cowboys. I think MM sees through the act and his days are numbered in Dallas.

What makes u think MM sees through the act tbh?

John813

Reaction score
Martinez "walked away" to a 3 year contract for 30 Million dollars. He wasn't cut in the middle of a contract like some fans here want.

Top linebacker deals are now in the mid to high teens. He also only got 6mil signing bonus.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
His subpar play is bad enough, but his theatrics out there make it really tough to even stomach it.

between that pseudo fight with #65 in 1Q, to his stop on 2nd and 1 that he celebrated despite it being a 1st down, to his constant “look at me” after someone else makes a play and he jumps in after the fact. It’s just too much.

Im trying to think of a player so completely out of touch, or a Cowboys player that is just utterly unlikeable to me, and I can’t think of one that tops this clown

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm now feeling good about this.

We definitely need to move on from Smith. It still burns that we passed up Myles Jack for Jaylon who’s developed into a terrific player. TJ Watt instead of Taco and Myles Jack instead of Jaylon would have certainly improved our defense.