Off seasons moves and draft philosophy: there is a plan, but it's probably not what you think

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
Before we can vent about the FO and the moves made (or not made) this offseason, we need to answer a very specific question. And don't lie, because I'll know.

Do you believe Dak Prescott will take the Cowboys to the next level? (NFCC game or SB)? Even if the same roster return for next year (Pollard, etc). Even If we made some upgrades early in free agency? Does Dak Prescott at starting QB all of a sudden do something he couldn't do in his first 8 years as a pro, when arguably he had better rosters in some of those years (2016 included), and that is to lead the Dallas Cowboys to the NFCC or Super Bowl?

If you answered yes, God Bless you. I'm an optimistic guy too, but the answer is unequivocally no, and you and I know it. Same for why Kirk Cousins wouldn't lead the Vikings to a deep playoff run, and he's now 35. You can be good most of the time, but not great when it counts against the best teams in the postseason. Both of those can be true at the same time folks, it's not a mutually-exclusive thing.

So with Dak still the starting QB, what does that tell us? It tells us that Dallas will not be going to the NFCC game or Super Bowl in 2025. Or at the very least, *more than likely* won't be going. No. Matter. What. We. Do/Did. This. Offseason.

Okay, now that we've established that, why then are we getting all perturbed by not trying to get a top-notch running back in the third round or later? Or not drafting a QB? Or maybe even a WR early? Or signing all the top talent in the first wave of UFA? Look, it's clear that this team is rebuilding. They're not going to come out and say they're tanking in 2024, but they are clearly rebuilding. And if that's the case, it would really behoove this franchise to not make an effort to "go for it" in 2024, rather gain more draft capital (i.e. like trading down in the first round of this year's draft to pick up an extra third). It would behoove them to draft in the trenches, which would translate for years down the road, in time for when they *do* have that next window to make a legit playoff run.

What about QB? If the drop off on the field is what many of us fear this year, they probably will be in better shape draft slot-wise to get a QB higher in the first round of next year's draft. Maybe much higher. What about RB? Next year's RB class is arguably better (deeper), so again assuming they're slotted closer to the top of the round instead of the bottom, aren't they better off drafting their next starting RB higher in the second or 3rd round of the 2025 draft instead of reaching for one in 2024?

It's a multi-year rebuilding process folks, like it or not. Whether you want to believe it or not. You weren't going to fill all the needs in one offseason folks, period. Especially when you already know the ceiling with a Dak Prescott led team. And I would argue that the QB and RB that will be responsible for the next playoff run, and I mean (hope) deep playoff run, aren't even on the roster yet.

Fire away..

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Before we can vent about the FO and the moves made (or not made) this offseason, we need to answer a very specific question. And don't lie, because I'll know.

Do you believe Dak Prescott will take the Cowboys to the next level? (NFCC game or SB)? Even if the same roster return for next year (Pollard, etc). Even If we made some upgrades early in free agency? Does Dak Prescott at starting QB all of a sudden do something he couldn't do in his first 8 years as a pro, when arguably he had better rosters in some of those years (2016 included), and that is to lead the Dallas Cowboys to the NFCC or Super Bowl?

If you answered yes, God Bless you. I'm an optimistic guy too, but the answer is unequivocally no, and you and I know it. Same for why Kirk Cousins wouldn't lead the Vikings to a deep playoff run, and he's now 35. You can be good most of the time, but not great when it counts against the best teams in the postseason. Both of those can be true at the same time folks, it's not a mutually-exclusive thing.

So with Dak still the starting QB, what does that tell us? It tells us that Dallas will not be going to the NFCC game or Super Bowl in 2025. Or at the very least, *more than likely* won't be going. No. Matter. What. We. Do/Did. This. Offseason.

Okay, now that we've established that, why then are we getting all perturbed by not trying to get a top-notch running back in the third round or later? Or not drafting a QB? Or maybe even a WR early? Or signing all the top talent in the first wave of UFA? Look, it's clear that this team is rebuilding. They're not going to come out and say they're tanking in 2024, but they are clearly rebuilding. And if that's the case, it would really behoove this franchise to not make an effort to "go for it" in 2024, rather gain more draft capital (i.e. like trading down in the first round of this year's draft to pick up an extra third). It would behoove them to draft in the trenches, which would translate for years down the road, in time for when they *do* have that next window to make a legit playoff run.

What about QB? If the drop off on the field is what many of us fear this year, they probably will be in better shape draft slot-wise to get a QB higher in the first round of next year's draft. Maybe much higher. What about RB? Next year's RB class is arguably better (deeper), so again assuming they're slotted closer to the top of the round instead of the bottom, aren't they better off drafting their next starting RB higher in the second or 3rd round of the 2025 draft instead of reaching for one in 2024?

It's a multi-year rebuilding process folks, like it or not. Whether you want to believe it or not. You weren't going to fill all the needs in one offseason folks, period. Especially when you already know the ceiling with a Dak Prescott led team. And I would argue that the QB and RB that will be responsible for the next playoff run, and I mean (hope) deep playoff run, aren't even on the roster yet.

Fire away..
Why did Jerry say we were going all in, if this is the plan?

Does he think we are all dumb sheep?

Ummm, never mind, lol/sigh.....

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a multi-year rebuilding process folks, like it or not.
It's a salary cap re-set. It went up this year helping the Cowboys. It will go up again next year helping them again. That's all it will take to clean it up. Almost all the dead money gone. There is no multi-year rebuild.

If the Cowboys truly do move on from Dak, there will be money to spend in FA.

Do you believe Dak Prescott will take the Cowboys to the next level?
I don't think Dak could lead the Chiefs to a super bowl. Winning it? Forgetaboutit!

Flamma

Reaction score
The only thing we know for sure is that we won't be going to the SB by repeating the same process. We don't know what would happen if they tried to make the team better for a QB that is lacking. Maybe it's a combination of the inability to put a good enough team on the field and the QB. Romo did no better. Yet we see QBs like Garoppolo, Goff, Purdy, Hurts, and Stafford get to SBs on teams that try to stack the deck. Stafford would never have seen a SB in Detroit.

In order to get to a SB with the current Cowboys philosophy, we'll need an elite QB. Mahomes, Brady, Manning, Rodgers type.

shabazz

Reaction score

Fire away..
Vent?.....I LOVE what the FO is doing......cleaning house.

Some already and a few........after 2024 season

Oh, yeah it's acoming

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Why did Jerry say we were going all in, if this is the plan?

Does he think we are all dumb sheep?

Ummm, never mind, lol/sigh.....
Jerry is all over the place nowadays....depends on what level of inebriation he was in when he said they were "All In ".... and if the plan is a scorch Earth tactic i sure wish he had not waited 28 years to do this. What a waste of a life. The problem i have is that he and his son will continue to be the ones who will try to put Humpty Dumpty together again. Their track record don't look too good to take on this challenge which appears to be over their head. Their confidence may be shattered, but their inflated ego is still in place. So good luck to the next batch of players currently not on the roster. Including the coaches.

OH, and yeah, Dak was, and is, not the answer. What a waste of time and money.

Sydla

Reaction score
If this is their logic, it's idiotic thinking. Why throw a freaking season away and gain nothing?

To try to "hide" their rebuild by pretending they still are trying to win in 2024 is moronic but expected from the Jones.

If they were smart and truly serious about rebuilding, they'd have done a lot of different stuff than they did this offseason.

plymkr

Reaction score
All in for...

2026-27?
That’s what I think. That’s the only sense I can make. I feel a decision has been made about Dak on both side of the negotiations. I feel Dak wants to leave and I feel the organization, and some players (especially the player’s families) have lost faith in him.

The only thing I’m perturbed about is if this is true just cut bait and go “all in” for the rebuild this year. See if Trey can play at this level and if not we’ll have a top 10 or top 5 pick in the draft and a bunch of comp picks.

I’d like to see them resign Trey for backup money so something like 3 years 30 million with it backloaded and then cut Dak and then try Trey. If he succeeds then great. If he fails then draft a guy or go a different direction and keep Trey as a backup or cut him.

CWR

Reaction score

Fire away..
You'd think the most talented roster we had since whenever could RUN and stop the RUN.

No one cares about pro bowlers when you are dominated in the trenches as this supremely talented team was.

Fix those things and Dak could make a run at it. Otherwise forget it with all but 2 or 3 qbs in the league.

NotForLong

Reaction score
His idea of all in is different than anyone else breathing air.

That's why I hate it when the media brings it up all the time. They have no clue what he meant. ZERO!
Thanks. I do not watch the Media. Is that what they are saying? . . . No wonder I keep hearing it here from the Parrots

rambo2

Reaction score
The only thing we know for sure is that we won't be going to the SB by repeating the same process. We don't know what would happen if they tried to make the team better for a QB that is lacking. Maybe it's a combination of the inability to put a good enough team on the field and the QB. Romo did no better. Yet we see QBs like Garoppolo, Goff, Purdy, Hurts, and Stafford get to SBs on teams that try to stack the deck. Stafford would never have seen a SB in Detroit.

In order to get to a SB with the current Cowboys philosophy, we'll need an elite QB. Mahomes, Brady, Manning, Rodgers type.
To get to a Super Bowl, they need thier first 4 picks to play very well and stay healthy for several years.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
To me the plan is to resign Dak, then take the $30 million or whatever it is and use it against the CAP in 2025 to help with some of the dead money they have on the books.