Off seasons moves and draft philosophy: there is a plan, but it's probably not what you think

75boyz

Reaction score
Before we can vent about the FO and the moves made (or not made) this offseason, we need to answer a very specific question. And don't lie, because I'll know.

Do you believe Dak Prescott will take the Cowboys to the next level? (NFCC game or SB)? Even if the same roster return for next year (Pollard, etc). Even If we made some upgrades early in free agency? Does Dak Prescott at starting QB all of a sudden do something he couldn't do in his first 8 years as a pro, when arguably he had better rosters in some of those years (2016 included), and that is to lead the Dallas Cowboys to the NFCC or Super Bowl?

If you answered yes, God Bless you. I'm an optimistic guy too, but the answer is unequivocally no, and you and I know it. Same for why Kirk Cousins wouldn't lead the Vikings to a deep playoff run, and he's now 35. You can be good most of the time, but not great when it counts against the best teams in the postseason. Both of those can be true at the same time folks, it's not a mutually-exclusive thing.

So with Dak still the starting QB, what does that tell us? It tells us that Dallas will not be going to the NFCC game or Super Bowl in 2025. Or at the very least, *more than likely* won't be going. No. Matter. What. We. Do/Did. This. Offseason.

Okay, now that we've established that, why then are we getting all perturbed by not trying to get a top-notch running back in the third round or later? Or not drafting a QB? Or maybe even a WR early? Or signing all the top talent in the first wave of UFA? Look, it's clear that this team is rebuilding. They're not going to come out and say they're tanking in 2024, but they are clearly rebuilding. And if that's the case, it would really behoove this franchise to not make an effort to "go for it" in 2024, rather gain more draft capital (i.e. like trading down in the first round of this year's draft to pick up an extra third). It would behoove them to draft in the trenches, which would translate for years down the road, in time for when they *do* have that next window to make a legit playoff run.

What about QB? If the drop off on the field is what many of us fear this year, they probably will be in better shape draft slot-wise to get a QB higher in the first round of next year's draft. Maybe much higher. What about RB? Next year's RB class is arguably better (deeper), so again assuming they're slotted closer to the top of the round instead of the bottom, aren't they better off drafting their next starting RB higher in the second or 3rd round of the 2025 draft instead of reaching for one in 2024?

It's a multi-year rebuilding process folks, like it or not. Whether you want to believe it or not. You weren't going to fill all the needs in one offseason folks, period. Especially when you already know the ceiling with a Dak Prescott led team. And I would argue that the QB and RB that will be responsible for the next playoff run, and I mean (hope) deep playoff run, aren't even on the roster yet.

Fire away..
I am in total agreement with you on what has been at the root of team postseason failure. The 8 yr starting QB has already maxed out his ceiling of playoff performance.

There's no further improvement that is gonna take place.

I can only hope that this well thought out plan you've described here for near future team success is reality and Jerry's not planning on extending his SleepNumber salesman and totally ruin one of the better posts Ive enjoyed reading in a while.
We can only hope.
Great post.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Before we can vent about the FO and the moves made (or not made) this offseason, we need to answer a very specific question. And don't lie, because I'll know.

Do you believe Dak Prescott will take the Cowboys to the next level? (NFCC game or SB)? Even if the same roster return for next year (Pollard, etc). Even If we made some upgrades early in free agency? Does Dak Prescott at starting QB all of a sudden do something he couldn't do in his first 8 years as a pro, when arguably he had better rosters in some of those years (2016 included), and that is to lead the Dallas Cowboys to the NFCC or Super Bowl?

If you answered yes, God Bless you. I'm an optimistic guy too, but the answer is unequivocally no, and you and I know it. Same for why Kirk Cousins wouldn't lead the Vikings to a deep playoff run, and he's now 35. You can be good most of the time, but not great when it counts against the best teams in the postseason. Both of those can be true at the same time folks, it's not a mutually-exclusive thing.

So with Dak still the starting QB, what does that tell us? It tells us that Dallas will not be going to the NFCC game or Super Bowl in 2025. Or at the very least, *more than likely* won't be going. No. Matter. What. We. Do/Did. This. Offseason.

Okay, now that we've established that, why then are we getting all perturbed by not trying to get a top-notch running back in the third round or later? Or not drafting a QB? Or maybe even a WR early? Or signing all the top talent in the first wave of UFA? Look, it's clear that this team is rebuilding. They're not going to come out and say they're tanking in 2024, but they are clearly rebuilding. And if that's the case, it would really behoove this franchise to not make an effort to "go for it" in 2024, rather gain more draft capital (i.e. like trading down in the first round of this year's draft to pick up an extra third). It would behoove them to draft in the trenches, which would translate for years down the road, in time for when they *do* have that next window to make a legit playoff run.

What about QB? If the drop off on the field is what many of us fear this year, they probably will be in better shape draft slot-wise to get a QB higher in the first round of next year's draft. Maybe much higher. What about RB? Next year's RB class is arguably better (deeper), so again assuming they're slotted closer to the top of the round instead of the bottom, aren't they better off drafting their next starting RB higher in the second or 3rd round of the 2025 draft instead of reaching for one in 2024?

It's a multi-year rebuilding process folks, like it or not. Whether you want to believe it or not. You weren't going to fill all the needs in one offseason folks, period. Especially when you already know the ceiling with a Dak Prescott led team. And I would argue that the QB and RB that will be responsible for the next playoff run, and I mean (hope) deep playoff run, aren't even on the roster yet.

Fire away..
Matthew Stafford...at 34 yrs of age.....mic drop...

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
If this is their logic, it's idiotic thinking. Why throw a freaking season away and gain nothing?

To try to "hide" their rebuild by pretending they still are trying to win in 2024 is moronic but expected from the Jones.

If they were smart and truly serious about rebuilding, they'd have done a lot of different stuff than they did this offseason.
It's called marketing it is about money and being relevant.

kskboys

Reaction score

Fire away..
That is what it looks like.

Problem is, Jerry is a horrible GM and has no idea how to rebuild. The 3 consecutive 5-11 years were directly caused by Jerry's bad job of being a GM.

kskboys

Reaction score
You'd think the most talented roster we had since whenever could RUN and stop the RUN.

No one cares about pro bowlers when you are dominated in the trenches as this supremely talented team was.

Fix those things and Dak could make a run at it. Otherwise forget it with all but 2 or 3 qbs in the league.
We are not supremely talented. That's what Jerry believes because he is terrible at evaluating team and talent.

kskboys

Reaction score
That’s what I think. That’s the only sense I can make. I feel a decision has been made about Dak on both side of the negotiations. I feel Dak wants to leave and I feel the organization, and some players (especially the player’s families) have lost faith in him.

The only thing I’m perturbed about is if this is true just cut bait and go “all in” for the rebuild this year. See if Trey can play at this level and if not we’ll have a top 10 or top 5 pick in the draft and a bunch of comp picks.

I’d like to see them resign Trey for backup money so something like 3 years 30 million with it backloaded and then cut Dak and then try Trey. If he succeeds then great. If he fails then draft a guy or go a different direction and keep Trey as a backup or cut him.
Takes a good GM to do that.

kskboys

Reaction score
The only thing we know for sure is that we won't be going to the SB by repeating the same process. We don't know what would happen if they tried to make the team better for a QB that is lacking. Maybe it's a combination of the inability to put a good enough team on the field and the QB. Romo did no better. Yet we see QBs like Garoppolo, Goff, Purdy, Hurts, and Stafford get to SBs on teams that try to stack the deck. Stafford would never have seen a SB in Detroit.

In order to get to a SB with the current Cowboys philosophy, we'll need an elite QB. Mahomes, Brady, Manning, Rodgers type.
What those guys had around them was top tier talent that came from multiple years of suckage.

kskboys

Reaction score
Why did Jerry say we were going all in, if this is the plan?

Does he think we are all dumb sheep?

Ummm, never mind, lol/sigh.....
Jerry spews. Analyzing it would be like analyzing sheep poop to see why cats eat mice.

CWR

Reaction score
We are not supremely talented. That's what Jerry believes because he is terrible at evaluating team and talent.
That was kind of my point. We are not a balanced roster and have been missing key pieces for years. We still haven't learned since the 2018 bludgeoning put on us by the Rams.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
That is what it looks like.

Problem is, Jerry is a horrible GM and has no idea how to rebuild. The 3 consecutive 5-11 years were directly caused by Jerry's bad job of being a GM.
But I truly believe Jerry's the GM in title only. Do any of you believe this is the same Jerry from the late 90s and early 00s? Come on now, y'all saw the war room. No personnel decisions are made without McClay and the scouts input.

There have been too many studs drafted, especially on the OL, for me to believe the Cowboys are flat out horrible at player acquisition. Now I grant you they aren't good in UFAgency because they overpay for their offensive stars (...that's obviously something Jerry and Stephen can get better at). But I think they are getting better... I don't think you'll see them getting a running back a contract like they gave Zeke again. Or giving a fourth round quarterback money like they gave to Dak, no matter how much he's overperformed.

I grant you all of that, but this team has been pretty decent with player personnel. They've had their chances for a deep playoff run the past 15-17 years, and really outside of the year Dak got hurt, have been rather competitive in terms of being a playoff contender. A friend of mine who's a Jets fan said he would swap general managers (I say managers because again I don't think Jerry acts alone). Same with a guy I know who's a Raiders fan.

I don't think we see the glass as being half full anymore because it's been so long since we've been to a championship game. At some point, getting farther into the playoffs, comes down to the players.. especially the quarterback.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Fire away..
My take on why Dak and the Cowboys have not been able to have much success in the playoffs outside of a couple of wild card wins is not all on Dak even though he certainly has blame.

Here’s the problem: There is a fundamental misunderstanding this FO has about Dak. He’s good but he’s not elite. Dak is similar to guys like Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson, and even current QBs like Jalen Hurts and Brock Purdy.

Those guys (and Dak too) are good enough to get you to the playoffs but needs a defense and a running game to win in the playoffs. Those guys cannot CARRY a team on their shoulders. Flacco and Wilson both won SBs with an outstanding D, Purdy and Hurts made it to NFC championship games (Hurts to a SB) with a great running game and good defenses.

I‘m not defending Dak as blameless. I’m just pointing out that there are maybe 2 QBs in this league capable of carrying a team on their backs to playoff glory. All the other good QBs are good enough to get you into the playoffs but need a defense and/or a great running game. The Cowboys have yet to do that except in 2016 when they had a great running game. The Cowboys FO never seemed to understand that Romo was not elite either. His best season was 2014 when he had that great running game withDeMarco Murray. Like Dak, Romo was not elite.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Fire away..
We don't have to answer any question. It only comes down to what GM Jethro believes.

The only real question, is what QB gives the team the best chance of winning, and we all know the answer to that question.

Creeper

Reaction score
How many QBs in the NFL can take their teams to the next level, meaning to a Super Bowl regardless of the rest of the team? 1? 0?

Why can't we admit that the team Dallas put on the field last year had some serious flaws that prevented them from making a run in the playoffs? In fact, if the Eagles didn't collapse at the end of the year, the Cowboys might not have even won the division. How many QBs in the league could have taken the Dallas Cowboys further than they went last year? Mahomes, maybe? If you say anyone else then my question would be then why didn't that guy take his own team to the Super Bowl?

Dak can win a Super Bowl, but he needs a better team than the one they fielded last year to do it. Dallas had no running game to speak of, and they couldn't stop the run on defense. These are fundamental flaws for any team, and are really hard to overcome against good teams.

To be clear, I don't think Dak is the kind of QB to carry a team on his back. But those are really rare, and usually wind up in the HoF. Yet, Dak is good enough to win if he has a good team behind him. The Cowboys were not that team last year. And they certainly will not be that team this year.

This is why the Cowboys have to be careful about how much they pay Dak. They need room to put a good team behind him. They need to be willing to do what it takes to fix their current issues. This past offseason they did nothing to fix the interior DL. And they re-signed Zeke to fix the rushing offense. They lost 2 DTs and two DEs. They drafted 1 DE and 1 DT in the 7th round. Not exactly an A effort.

I think Dak is getting too much of the blame. He is what he is but he is still better than 25 other QBs in the league. IMO, not having a RB, or a DTs we can depend on is way more significant than the issues with our QB.

kskboys

Reaction score
But I truly believe Jerry's the GM in title only. Do any of you believe this is the same Jerry from the late 90s and early 00s? Come on now, y'all saw the war room. No personnel decisions are made without McClay and the scouts input.

There have been too many studs drafted, especially on the OL, for me to believe the Cowboys are flat out horrible at player acquisition. Now I grant you they aren't good in UFAgency because they overpay for their offensive stars (...that's obviously something Jerry and Stephen can get better at). But I think they are getting better... I don't think you'll see them getting a running back a contract like they gave Zeke again. Or giving a fourth round quarterback money like they gave to Dak, no matter how much he's overperformed.

I grant you all of that, but this team has been pretty decent with player personnel. They've had their chances for a deep playoff run the past 15-17 years, and really outside of the year Dak got hurt, have been rather competitive in terms of being a playoff contender. A friend of mine who's a Jets fan said he would swap general managers (I say managers because again I don't think Jerry acts alone). Same with a guy I know who's a Raiders fan.

I don't think we see the glass as being half full anymore because it's been so long since we've been to a championship game. At some point, getting farther into the playoffs, comes down to the players.. especially the quarterback.
None of that matters. Problem is, we don't have an NFL GM, and that's why we suffer and lose early in the playoffs. A real GM would take steps to solve the problem. Our GM doesn't even realize a problem exists.

Flamma

Reaction score
No one builds solely from the draft.
The Cowboys do in regard to impact players. Acquiring 3rd tier FAs or trading for washed up vets isn't making your team any better. It's just filling holes your draft couldn't fill. Cooper was the exception.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Cowboys do in regard to impact players. Acquiring 3rd tier FAs or trading for washed up vets isn't making your team any better. It's just filling holes your draft couldn't fill. Cooper was the exception.
Problem is, we don't draft the right areas, and the players we'd need to fill those areas aren't easy to find.