Offensive Formations

dsturgeon

Reaction score
For this thread, the assumption will be made that, Tyron, Collins, Martin, Dak, and Jarwin are all healthy.

Weapons:

WR- Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Wilson, Brown
TE- Jarwin, Schultz, Bell
RB- Zeke Pollard

With a healthy oline, the cowboys will be able to dominate both the run game and the pass game. The cowboys are overloaded with weapons.

What formations do you want them to run? What do you want the offense to look like? What type of plays will Moore be calling?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
For this thread, the assumption will be made that, Tyron, Collins, Martin, Dak, and Jarwin are all healthy.

Weapons:

RB- Zeke Pollard

With a healthy oline, the cowboys will be able to dominate both the run game and the pass game. The cowboys are overloaded with weapons.

What formations do you want them to run? What do you want the offense to look like? What type of plays will Moore be calling?
I don't care as long as they are effective. As a fan, it's not my job to figure out what plays to run or figure out the best formation. I just watch and enjoy the game if they are playing well.

Flamma

Reaction score

Weapons:

RB- Zeke Pollard

I would like to see them run play action from under center out of the 11 personnel. We have Zeke, might as well use him as a threat on most plays. So either fake it or give it to Zeke. At least we won't be so predictable.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I would like to see them run play action from under center out of the 11 personnel. We have Zeke, might as well use him as a threat on most plays. So either fake it or give it to Zeke. At least we won't be so predictable.

Sounds good. I want Tony running too though. Those multiple 40-50+ yard td's last year made me happy

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I think if the cowboys can execute, they have the personnel to dominate in any formation.

Hopefully, they pick apart the defenses weaknesses

Flamma

Reaction score
Sounds good. I want Tony running too though. Those multiple 40-50+ yard td's last year made me happy

I'm not sure that he's not better right now. But Zeke is still the known threat, Tony isn't. Hasn't really proved himself. The only way that formation and play action works is if you have a threat. In the SB between the Rams and Patriots, the Patriots completely ignored play action. Even on first down. That's a Belichick thing. He dared them to run and they didn't. Got 3 points as a result. That's why you really need a threat back there.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I'm not sure that he's not better right now. But Zeke is still the known threat, Tony isn't. Hasn't really proved himself. The only way that formation and play action works is if you have a threat. In the SB between the Rams and Patriots, the Patriots completely ignored play action. Even on first down. That's a Belichick thing. He dared them to run and they didn't. Got 3 points as a result. That's why you really need a threat back there.

If the online plays like they should, the play action should dominate. There are so many threats in the passing game, I don't see how defenses can put extra guys in the box.

The problem last year was 2nd and 3rd string tackles and no martin

Zeke and Pollard should both have a big year. Pollard is better in the passing game

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
First thing that popped into my head when I read the title.

Offensive formations...........any formation that our defensive is in. ; )

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Weapons:

RB- Zeke Pollard

I want them to do what they’ve been doing since it led the NFL in offense for the past 2 years with Dak at the helm.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So predictable? :lmao2::lmao: The Cowboys have led the NFL in offense the past 2 years. Predictable? :lmao::lmao2:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
With poor blocking TE's and poor blocking WR's they might as well get rid of Zeke. Go pass happy or run more from wide sets.

Just an idea based on the state of the team.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Weapons:

RB- Zeke Pollard

Zeke TB, Pollard RB/WR, Jarwin TE/HB, Lamb WR/RB, Cooper WR

Pollard theoretically presents the biggest matchup problem to other teams. Was a split RB/WR in college, legitimate both ways. Has shown he's a legitimate NFL RB, but we haven't seen the WR side, even to the level that we used to use all our other "web backs".

Pollard had food poisoning at the combine, but ran an "unofficial" 4.37 as his pro day best time. I'd convert that to a low 4.4 pro day number if healthy. Legitimate deep speed for a WR. Legitimate *size* for a deep threat too, unlike the "web backs" we've tried to make for years.

If a LB sticks with Pollard, isolate him wide and run him deep. If a DB, split out Zeke wide to take a LB out of the box, and run Pollard. Run him on jet sweeps to make defenses have to worry about whether Zeke or Pollard is getting the run.

They haven't used Pollard as much as I'd like. Maybe he doesn't have it. Certainly his return skills have flopped in the NFL so far.

While here in Cowboy Land people consider Jarwin a receiving TE, he wasn't really much of one in college. More of a blocking TE/HB. I want to make use of that. He's listed at 260 now. Plenty big to line up in the backfield and lead block.

Jarwin is another matchup problem if used right, contributing to run/pass options. If they match him to a S, we have the advantage in the run, while if a LB, we have the advantage in the pass.

Lamb is another option for jet sweeps. A serious threat with the ball in his hands.

Another guy to run the ball - Dak. The foot was a freak injury. Assuming it is healed, I'd run Dak and counsel him to limit the contact. He's as big as a LB. We shouldn't have to treat him like some fragile flower. He ran a *lot* in college. He shouldn't go crazy with it, but he should have a lot of read options, and *take* those options to keep defenses honest.

Create personnel matchup problems. Isolate them and exploit them. Run the ball a *lot*, with *multiple* players, and on *each* run, make defenses worry about *multiple* players. Let the offensive line lean on the defense as much as possible, while spreading the load of the runs to multiple players.

Similarly, have run/pass options. Send Pollard deep often. Give Dak the run/pass option if he sees what he likes on the matchup with Pollard. I think that's largely how Gallup was used. Throw to him if he's isolated. Pollard isn't the WR, but does have greater speed to beat a guy deep.

On third downs, take out Pollard or Zeke, and put in another WR. One back is still useful for blocking/draw/swing pass options. Could line up Jarwin back there sometimes too.

Lots of *options*, run and pass, for the QB. Lots of *uncertainty* for DC and defense on the field.

Note - no discussion of Gallup. I'd trade him if we can get the value. Pollard brings a lot more options to the offense on 1st and 2nd down.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Yeah, I generally hate when we go shotgun with Zeke on the field. It's not just the threat of Zeke, it's the threat of the oline pounding forward and a RB between the tackles.

Give the QB options. Make the defense wonder and defend as many players and as much of the field as you can. Basic football.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
With poor blocking TE's and poor blocking WR's they might as well get rid of Zeke. Go pass happy or run more from wide sets.

Zeke is good between the Ts, as is our oline when healthy. Jarwin was more of a blocking HB/TE in college, and should be used as a FB more often.

Run from wide sets, and have lots of jet sweep options with Lamb and Pollard, and read options for Dak to choose from.

Straight ahead Zeke is a good *part* of an offense as long as we're also threatening other parts of the field with other players.

Flamma

Reaction score
So predictable? :lmao2::lmao: The Cowboys have led the NFL in offense the past 2 years. Predictable? :lmao::lmao2:

I love your optimism. But the Cowboys sucked over the last two years. This year bordering on embarrassing.