Offensive Formations

Flamma

Reaction score
But not because of the offense.

The offense didn't impress me this year or last year. We have good personnel, but nothing approaching greatest show on turf results. Last year they averaged 27 PPG, but that was an average. Had they scored 27 a game Dallas would have been 12-3-1. The reality is Dallas can't compete against better teams.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
The offense didn't impress me this year or last year. We have good personnel, but nothing approaching greatest show on turf results. Last year they averaged 27 PPG, but that was an average. Had they scored 27 a game Dallas would have been 12-3-1. The reality is Dallas can't compete against better teams.

Dalton had very little time to throw the ball. I heard it during one of the games, but I can not remember the average amount of time he had to get the ball out. This whole offense changes if the QB get 1-2 seconds longer to let the receivers get open down field. Hopefully the oline improves, which should help the run game too.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dalton had very little time to throw the ball. I heard it during one of the games, but I can not remember the average amount of time he had to get the ball out. This whole offense changes if the QB get 1-2 seconds longer to let the receivers get open down field. Hopefully the oline improves, which should help the run game too.

Well sure. That's always the case. Offensive lines have come a long way. Ever watch those games in the 70s and early 80s? Quarterbacks had no time to throw the ball. That ball was out at the end of their drop, sometimes as they were dropping. Today they expect to have time to scan the field. You need to be prepared either way. In today's game if a QB is being pressured he folds like a cheap camera. They're not ready. Rodgers, Peyton Manning, even Mahomes in the SB. They looked awful under pressure. Say what you want about those older QBs like Craig Morton, Bob Griese, Terry Bradshaw, and Fran Tarkenton, but the ball was out post haste. They never looked so unprepared.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
For this thread, the assumption will be made that, Tyron, Collins, Martin, Dak, and Jarwin are all healthy.

Weapons:

WR- Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Wilson, Brown
TE- Jarwin, Schultz, Bell
RB- Zeke Pollard

With a healthy oline, the cowboys will be able to dominate both the run game and the pass game. The cowboys are overloaded with weapons.

What formations do you want them to run? What do you want the offense to look like? What type of plays will Moore be calling?
I think we will see the same offensive scheme , and play calling as last year.
Run on 1st down pass pass.
Pass heavy offense.
Kellen doesnt like to run alot, and doesnt really know how to utilize the run effectively.
He might go all pass as soon as he is down by 7 lol.
Elliot will get most of the carries, Cooper will get most of the targets. very predictable.

He is not a good OC, so good luck on seeing what your wanting to see.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Just watch the 2016 tape. That hybrid was the best fit for Dak, don't try to make him live in the pocket.
true but they wont do that lol :p
That wasnt dazzling enough, and kellen for sure wont do that, and even linehan got away from that.
Dak ran a lot back then, and jones boys told JG they didnt want him running, guess they forgot to tell kellen and MM lol.
Also back then they had a very good OL, and elliot was a totally different RB.
But if they fixed their OL, and switched to pollard, they could do that, but again it wont happen. Jones boys want elliot getting most of the touches,
and no telling what their OL looks like week 1.

quickccc

Reaction score
For this thread, the assumption will be made that, Tyron, Collins, Martin, Dak, and Jarwin are all healthy.

Weapons:

RB- Zeke Pollard

With a healthy oline, the cowboys will be able to dominate both the run game and the pass game. The cowboys are overloaded with weapons.

What formations do you want them to run? What do you want the offense to look like? What type of plays will Moore be calling?

- i want Moore to solve this team's frequent issue with Slow starts

- i want Moore to vastly improve the use of the RBs in both run game design and in the passing game - Pollard's pass skills is being badly
wasted under Kellen.

-because both Jarwin and Schultz are just very average in line Blockers, it will be tough for both to be in game at same time.
that's why Blake Bell Will still be so important in occasional 2 TE packages

- i want the physical John Kuhn FB type into this offense, Mccarthy is allowing Kellen not to have one. Or K-Moore settles for a finesse
RB trying to pose as a FB in Olawele ( hope he does not return)

- i do not want any more QB designed runs between the hashes. QB pistol works effectively in goal line situations where Dak not even
touched most cases. But otherwise, we should not be exposing our franchise QB like that. Russell wilson isn't exposing himself in design QB runs
both scrambling only when he has to ..getting out of bounds when he has to ...sliding to ground when he has to .. not unnecessary hits and breaks
when he doesn't have to.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What? The offense was crap for most of the year without Dak. Which is expected, but it still sucked.

From when Dalton came back in game 10, we averaged over 27 points a game. 4 games 30 or more, lowest game was 16. That's a lot of points.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Weapons:

RB- Zeke Pollard

Wishbone.... :eek:

Omegasupreme

Reaction score

That 2019 year was very telling of the actual problem. Dallas was 8-8. Doesn’t matter about having 27.1 yards per game average if you average 17.1 ppg in the losses (it’s actually worse than that, in some of those losses Dallas was losing big going into the 4th quarter and played well against a prevent defense to close the gap). But it’s still 8 losses where this team that was ranked in the top 5 or even the top 3 in yards, yards per gain, passing, rushing, and points just could not score both at critical times. When the opponents figured out the Dallas gameplan, Dallas would not adjust and doing something different to produce different results. The short area/red zone is still a problem and a weakness for the Coryell offense. It’s such a limited menu to begin with but then Kellen is still so inexperienced and tries to take the vertical offense that is very successful between the 20s and in very reduced space, tries to somehow use a spread matchup strategy for pass plays and very primitive and senseless plays for runs. Aside from inexperience and not really using motion, formation novelty and play action (Dallas ranks in low 5th in the league in all of those categories), Kellen is also very weak in run play calls and run play design. He doesn’t know how to adjust. In 2019 during those 8 losses (which were not blowouts) the run game averaged 89 yards a game. In the 8 wins, the run offense average 179.
We like to blame the O-line for not blocking assignments , then the RB (for not producing), the QB for making bad decisions, and the WRs for not getting open but in 2019 all of those areas were at the top of the league. Just firing on all cylinders. So how could they be the consistent problem? The issue was that when one part of the offense was stopped, the offensive coordinator kept doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. This isn’t the first time this phenomenon has happened with the Coryell offense: Norv, Linehan, Bratkowski, Schottenheimer, and most recently Hue Jackson and Garrett have been demoted or fired because they were reduced down to calling the same 4 basic “bread and butter” plays over and over trying to get new results.
Hopefully either Kellen steps up to the modern designs of the NFL offense (how Brady modified Arians offense) or Dallas doesn’t wait for him to “develop” and brings in someone who can handle arguably the best WR trio in the league, one of the best run offenses (Zeke, Pollard and Dak) and a QB capable of (hopefully) making all the runs and throws. I would vote that McCarthy changes Dallas to the WCO which has a gourmet menu of thousands of plays as opposed to the Coryell hotdog stand menu and let Kellen just learn (like Zimmer did with the 3/4 with Parcells). I just don’t see that Kellen should have the keys to the Lamborghini yet. Even when Dallas had a relatively healthy and high flying offense, they had 8 losses, 17.1 ppg and nothing to show for all the talent. That’s on the OC, not the players.

Einstein

Reaction score
Sounds good. I want Tony running too though. Those multiple 40-50+ yard td's last year made me happy
Well since his long of last year was 42 yards, keep remembering things that didn't happen.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Weapons:

RB- Zeke Pollard

they need to refresh the running plays.

that pistol/shotgun handoff to Zeke is old. Everyone knows it’s going to the A gap.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
See 2016
Little time in pocket.
Roll out, PA, counters.
Take pressure off OL
make sure Zeke is lean and mean or use Pollard.
Winner

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
we won't be able to compete until we fix the defense....