News: Offensive line revealed as Giants' Achilles' heel in preseason loss to Bills

CCBoy

Reaction score
Offensive line revealed as Giants' Achilles' heel in preseason loss to Bills
http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-g...ants-achilles-heel-in-preseason-loss-to-bills

It took until the first quarter of the second preseason game for the New York Giants' perceived biggest weakness to surface as a potential red flag for their 2016 season. Their offensive line struggled badly in a 21-0 loss in Buffalo, New York, on Saturday -- the first time since 2001 that the Giants were shut out in a preseason contest -- against a Buffalo Bills defense that was without several key starters.

The Giants' line couldn’t open holes, couldn’t protect quarterback Eli Manning, and couldn’t stop committing penalties. It started with right guard John Jerry's false start on the opening drive. It continued with left tackle Ereck Flowers' holding penalty on the first play of the second drive. It was capped by center Weston Richburg's holding penalty on the third drive.

The Giants’ first-team offensive line was a mess on Saturday afternoon. In fact, so was the entire first-team offense, even with Manning and wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. on the field...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Victor Cruz's professional life rests on the results of this upcoming week. It’s the biggest week of the New York Giants wide receiver’s career since the summer of 2010, when he needed an enormous preseason performance against the New York Jets to introduce himself to the world.

And whom do the Giants play later this week? The Jets, of course. The perfect stage for Cruz's reintroduction.

Cruz is trying desperately to return to game action this week for the first time in almost two years. He’s been dealing with a nagging groin problem this summer, on the heels of calf and knee injuries the previous two years. It has been almost two weeks since Cruz last finished a practice, and almost two years since he last appeared in a game...

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-g...one-of-the-biggest-weeks-of-his-giants-career

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Nobody cares about Victor Cruz anymore. He's finished. His speed is gone. That was his specialty. I remember him smoking Newman and co in 2011 finale up the sideline. Disgusting

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I'm up in Gnats country so I've hung out with a few friends (Gnats fans) for the draft (Which sucks now over 4 days). I ask them about their Oline the last few years while we have been drafting them, they have been drafting splash players in the first round. 2 WRs while we have been drafting Oline. They have been ecstatic over their selections, calling ours boring.

The roosters have come to roost.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
The Giants OL is like our DL.

They've actually done a lot to try to fix it, but overall it just hasn't worked out.

Richburg is a blue chip played though.

JBS

Reaction score
Mcadoo has Eli getting rid of the ball really quickly in his offense...the line is definitely an issue, specifically the right side...but our coverage is going to have to be tight bc there won't be many sacks...Eli typically plays well vs us as well..it's going to be a tough game

Ashwynn

Reaction score
I guess we can call this the "Good news thread of the day". Always a pleasure to read how bad an NFC East foe is faring.

Thanks for the good times.

VACowboy

Reaction score
The Giants looked sloppy and poorly coached, IMHO, but it's preseason.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
The Giants offensive line was trash last year and is going to be trash this year.

Yes. They did not help themselves in the Draft or free agency.

I guess they are waiting till cut down to get some more help.

Eli will be running a bit this year.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Giants offensive line was trash last year and is going to be trash this year.

Yes, but for some reason, we couldn't get a pass rush against them in the 2nd game. Did they step it up, or were we that bad. I think they stepped it up. That needs to change this year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Mcadoo has Eli getting rid of the ball really quickly in his offense...the line is definitely an issue, specifically the right side...but our coverage is going to have to be tight bc there won't be many sacks...Eli typically plays well vs us as well..it's going to be a tough game

Because we let him dink and dunk all day and he'll hit the occasional big play.

I hope we play tighter coverage on the Giants because i'm sick of watching Eli chip away at us and our fans complaining about the pass rush after when he's getting rid of the ball in 2 seconds.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes, always tough, especially opening game. However, we have never lost to them on opening game, we are something like 8-0. That stat will come out a lot in week one analysis.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
We won't get near manning in week 1 unless we have a big lead and he has to pass every down. Otherwise its going to be snap and throw. Our best bet is our tackles beating their guards.

The biggest key to stopping them in week 1 will be how our secondary tackles. If you tackle well against a quick throwing offense you should be ok.

Have to wonder what some of the players in the locker room think when coughlin was the only guy fired and now the team looks a bit disorganized and struggling on offense especially since they promoted the offensive coordinator.

Throw in the josh brown stuff and their is potential for a really combustible situation there. I don't think it will happen early, the NY papers love to hate Dallas so they will be all about writing about jerry and whatever made up story takes hold the opening week. After that if the giants start slow the media I imagine will come down hard on them.

UTmodisette

Reaction score
The Giants Oline is a big weakness, and will really help the Cowboys' defense look good in the opening game. With Dallas actually having a good DT rotation and Sean Lee, they will shut down their running game. It's going to be a pass happy game for Manning, especially if Dallas' offense gets off to a hot start. That's going to lead to the usual Eli interceptions.

Also can't discount how the two teams look in preseason. Dallas has looked focused and sharp, while New York has looked the exact opposite. I'm not saying that means the Giants will have a bad season, but we saw in 2014 how a sloppy preseason can carry over into the start of the season. Dallas looked terrible week 1 against the 49ers, and didn't look that great against an overmatched Titans in week 2.