Offensive Line Shuffle?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
To alleviate another 1st round pick not playing that much, what if we parted ways with Terrance Steele, and keep Guyton as our RT where he played the position at in college. I realize that leaves a void at LT, but can we can by with a free agent pickup, or using one of the backup lineman? Please don't get all emotional about this post, I mean we're going "all in", so why not go "all in" with an OL shuffle idea???

We have a lot of depth, they mentioned Bass getting reps at center, we have Richards, Hoffman, Beebee etc!

New shuffle could consist of Richards/Weletzko (LT), LG( Smit/Beebee) Bass/Beebee (center) Martin (RG), RT (Guyton

What are your thoughts on this, probably unlikely to happen, but it's a thought!
if steele doesn't show he is recovered from his injury two years ago, he is a liability. he had almost no lateral movement all year. he couldn't go to his left at all and got beat inside consistently.

then I wouldn't mind guyton at the right side, although worry that we drafted a RT in the first round.

Chasing6

Reaction score
To alleviate another 1st round pick not playing that much, what if we parted ways with Terrance Steele, and keep Guyton as our RT where he played the position at in college. I realize that leaves a void at LT, but can we can by with a free agent pickup, or using one of the backup lineman? Please don't get all emotional about this post, I mean we're going "all in", so why not go "all in" with an OL shuffle idea???

We have a lot of depth, they mentioned Bass getting reps at center, we have Richards, Hoffman, Beebee etc!

New shuffle could consist of Richards/Weletzko (LT), LG( Smit/Beebee) Bass/Beebee (center) Martin (RG), RT (Guyton

What are your thoughts on this, probably unlikely to happen, but it's a thought!
Don't see it happening.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think you have to take the gamble on Steele rebounded another year removed from injury. He showed signs last year on the back half of the season that he was trending the right direction. You lose a starter like that on the Oline and all of a sudden that depth we all love is looking pretty ordinary. The Cowboys have played their hand already for this year....I think they roll with the Oline they have in place now and reevaluate as you start playing some actual games. If Steele either isnt cutting it after 4-5 weeks and a guy like Richards has looked good all camp you can always make a move then, and if Richards and Steele both look good you could always flip one of them at the deadline for a pick or maybe even a position of need, like a new WR or DT.
2 new starters is a challenge, 3 is a nightmare.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

What first-round pick wouldn't be playing that much if Guyton starts at left tackle as projected?

I think Steele is going to be one of the new whipping boys for fans this season since his play went down last year when he was coming off an ACL tear.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
if steele doesn't show he is recovered from his injury two years ago, he is a liability. he had almost no lateral movement all year. he couldn't go to his left at all and got beat inside consistently.

then I wouldn't mind guyton at the right side, although worry that we drafted a RT in the first round.
I mean it's just a thought, if things weren't going right, maybe we could put Guyton back at his natural spot. It's not that he can't learn to play on the left side but hey!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
What first-round pick wouldn't be playing that much if Guyton starts at left tackle as projected?

I think Steele is going to be one of the new whipping boys for fans this season since his play went down last year when he was coming off an ACL tear.
realize that, yet you have people on here making posts about him possibly being traded or cut I can't remember. Yes he came off an injury, he was brought back possibly too soon

Chasing6

Reaction score
I mean it's just a thought, if things weren't going right, maybe we could put Guyton back at his natural spot. It's not that he can't learn to play on the left side but hey!
Best 5 are going to play. Seriously doubt anyone takes it away from Steele.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that Guyton is not the starting LT to open up the season. It's going to be Tyler Smith.
It could be if he's not ready, but I think it also could be Richards. He looked good in the snaps he got, although granted, it was not many. I really think the team wants to keep Smith at guard and try to have a strong interior if Beebe can succeed in his transition to center.

We really have some interesting options, even if we don't know how any of them will turn out.

It could be (as projected):

Guyton-Smith-Beebe-Martin-Steele

or

Smith-Bass-Beebe-Martin-Steele

or

Smith-Beebe-Hoffman-Martin-Steele

or

Richards-Smith-Beebe-Martin-Steele

or

Richards-Smith-Bass-Martin-Steele

etc.

The only "locks" IMO are Martin and Steele on the right side and that Smith will start at eight LG or LT.

gimmesix

Reaction score
realize that, yet you have people on here making posts about him possibly being traded or cut I can't remember. Yes he came off an injury, he was brought back possibly too soon
I would be surprised if either happens this year. But ... I did discuss the possibility IF Dallas got to the end of camp and badly needed help at another position AND Richards had played so well at LT that Dallas could afford to keep Guyton at RT. Frankly, I think the Cowboys view Guyton as the future at LT so I don't think that scenario is likely because Richards won't be given the chance to win that job. Another unlikely scenario is that two of the younger guys play so well on the interior that Dallas decides to move Smith back out to LT, play Guyton at RT and trade Steele.

Neither of those scenarios do I consider to be realistic. I think it's probably more realistic to expect Guyton to struggle in his transition to LT and Dallas to have to kick in a contingency plan because of that. Possibly the same for Beebe in his transition to center. No use upsetting the apple cart on the right side when we have to figure out the left.

Flamma

Reaction score
I just feel they got him to give LT a try so they wouldn't have to move Tyler out to LT, they need to come up with something soon
I know. But we don't know that he can. Late round first picks aren't always plug and play left tackles. We got lucky with Tyler Smith. In the same draft at picks 6 and 7 overall were Ikem Ekwonu and Evan Neal, both suck. I'm hoping Guyton can play LT right away, I'm just not counting on it.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I thought I read a quote somewhere from Guyton that he feels more natural playing at LT. I know they had him at RT in college due to having a left-handed QB so he was still protecting the blindside. As long as he doesn't have issues with footwork it should be fine. It's not like playing Tyron at RT after having played LT for his entire career.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I know. But we don't know that he can. Late round first picks aren't always plug and play left tackles. We got lucky with Tyler Smith. In the same draft at picks 6 and 7 overall were Ikem Ekwonu and Evan Neal, both suck. I'm hoping Guyton can play LT right away, I'm just not counting on it.
Agreed.

I don’t think it’s at all a given that Guyton is the starter at LT right away.

The question is about how adamant they are about not moving Smith there, or going with Richards. If it’s Edoga, it’s a dead giveaway the plan all along was to get Dak killed so they can get him on the cheap lol.

As I’ve said, I can fully see a scenario where Guyton allows them to dump the Steele contract and play RT (not knocking him but he isn’t worth what he was paid) and someone else is the LT moving ahead.

They have versatility and youth and should get it figured out. It’s easily the part of the team to be most encouraged about.

Flamma

Reaction score
Agreed.

The question is about how adamant they are about not moving Smith there, or going with Richards. If it’s Edoga, it’s a dead giveaway the plan all along was to get Dak killed so they can get him on the cheap lol.

As I’ve said, I can fully see a scenario where Guyton allows them to dump the Steele contract and play RT (not knocking him but he isn’t worth what he was paid) and someone else is the LT moving ahead.

They have versatility and youth and should get it figured out. It’s easily the part of the team to be most encouraged about.
Yeah, but they can't dump Steele yet without having a negative cap impact. He's an 11M cap hit and a 19M+ dead cap. And his 2025 salary is also fully guaranteed. He's probably here for 2 more years.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I thought I read a quote somewhere from Guyton that he feels more natural playing at LT. I know they had him at RT in college due to having a left-handed QB so he was still protecting the blindside. As long as he doesn't have issues with footwork it should be fine. It's not like playing Tyron at RT after having played LT for his entire career.
that's the scripted thing they say as Rookies "i'll do what ever they want me to do!" lol

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Agreed.

looooool chuma!!!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Good offensive lineman are hard to find and yet want to get rid of one?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah, but they can't dump Steele yet without having a negative cap impact. He's an 11M cap hit and a 19M+ dead cap. And his 2025 salary is also fully guaranteed. He's probably here for 2 more years.
Wait….his 2025 is fully guaranteed?

Come on. Why? I mean, nevermind then.

They weren’t even at risk of losing him, got no discount, yet guaranteed him that much and now make Lamb and Parsons wait?

This is just keeps getting more absurd.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
that's the scripted thing they say as Rookies "i'll do what ever they want me to do!" lol
Here it is "Guyton said in his introductory press conference that he feels more natural on the left side, and in talking to his college offensive line coach, the feelings were similar in Norman." That's going beyond just the standard "I'll play wherever they tell me"

exciter

Reaction score

First moving on from Steele would be a 19m cap hit. Since we’ve used both our June 1 designations (Zeke, Gallup) that would incur taking a massive hit requiring cutting considerable portions of our depth to get back under the cap!
Guyton is going to take his rookie hits regardless of whatever side he plays on. He played RT in college to protect the blindside of his left handed QB. He has the skillset and natural ability to play LT and many including himself believe it’s his natural position. Let him play out and take his licks playing the position he as picked to play!