Offensive tackles in '10 draft

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
JBell523;3241967 said:
Whoever the tackle is.. he better have the athleticism to play LT.

I don't want us to draft a future "LT" only to have him play RT or guard because he's not athletic enough.

Selvish Capers

The Realist

Reaction score
I dare a NFCE team to draft Ciron Black and start him at LT.

His best fit is at guard or possibly RT.

dwmyers

Reaction score
DFWJC;3242059 said:
All drafts should be for BPA (or something very close to it). Now if we were to, as you say, trade up to make it happen...fine. As long as we trade at or near a slot where we are getting a LT whose value matches that slot. Drafting for need but not getting fair value is the kiss of death in this league....it has ruined many a team.

This is a myth. The strategy used by a team in the draft has very little effect on the quality of players a team gets. The single most important factor in any draft is the accurate assessment of the talent and potential of the players in the pool. You could have the perfect strategy, whatever that is, and if your scouts couldn't catch a whale in a goldfish bowl then you're going to lose. Likewise, a mediocre strategy will win if your scouting is superior and you're consistently taking the better athletes.

The reason for this is talent assessment is all over the map, differing by whole rounds on players between scouts, and is often wrong. Players some teams rank as 7th rounders end up being all pros.

A prudent but consistent strategy would be to draft for need unless BPA is so clearly superior you have to take the BPA. I don't know exactly where that break even point should be, but perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 a round of value seems reasonable.

Second, common sense dictates you take players your coaching staff can use. Anyone that watches Philadelphia draft knows they work on a wholly different concept of value than anyone else I know. They often draft players a whole round above where "the consensus" places them. Yet they are the most successful team in the NFCE the past 10 years. If the BPA is a 3 technique DT with no interest in playing DE, and your team is playing a 3-4, what's the point in taking him?

And before anyone asks, yes, I've done simulations using as much "real" data as I can. I think everything I say here is true to what my simulations suggest.

David.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BlueAndSilverSurfer;3241995 said:
You think he can succeed Flo? Flo is DONE imo. We need Free fulltime at RT too.

check this out;

1 --OKUNG Russell
Oklahoma St
6- 4.4...302...5.31 -------- 432.97
Moves well, great leverage -Shadows and controls well
2 --BULAGA Bryan
Iowa
6- 5.0...301...4.88 -------- 428.83
Not a Great pass blocker yet
3 --DAVIS Anthony ,,
Rutger's
6- 5.0...336...5.20 -------- 414.87

4 --BROWN Charles --
Southern Cal
6- 6.0...302...5.16 -------- 400.81
RS-05- A former TE
5 --CAMPBELL Bruce
Maryland
6- 5.0...295...4.88 -------- 396.07
490 Bench+ 4.82 reported. Doesn't display great lateral yet Knee 09
6 --WILLIAMS Trent
Oklahoma
6- 4.4...321...5.28 -------- 394.97
rec/ TDs in 08
7 --SOLDER Nate
U of Colorado
6- 7.5...284...4.91 -------- 393.79
Amazing Test Numbers, 8.3% body fat
8 --DUCASSE Vladmir
Howard U
6- 4.4...332...5.45 -------- 390.24
From Haiti, a force, some hoops and Shot Putting background -How cool is Directv- watching a game from Maine Has it all, just adjusting to next level
9 --CARIMI Gabe
Wisconsin
6- 6.0...323...5.38 -------- 385.89
fine Pass Protector -Tougher then Trouble with quicker guys
10 --ULATOSKI Adam
U of TEXAS
6- 6.7...306...5.25 -------- 383.37
RS-05 -Good Base Elbow 09/14/2007
11 --ZIEMBA Lee
Auburn
6- 7.0...304...5.17 -------- 380.89
Gets leverage -Adjusts well
12 --WANG Ed
Virginia Tech
6- 5.0...302...4.99 -------- 378.99
Mobile, Seals well, Broken Ankle 08/06/2007
13 --CAPERS Selvish
West Virginia
6- 4.4...289...4.88 -------- 378.26
Tight End in 06
14 --SLATER Matt .
Boise State
6- 4.0...283...4.99 -------- 373.99
Studdy, can clear hole, protect and curve
15 --BLACK Ciron
LSU
6- 4.3...324...5.26 -------- 373.07
RS-05
16 --YOUNG Sam
Notre Dame
6- 7.2...330...5.32 -------- 372.62
Florida Prep Star
17 --LAUVANO Shane
Arizona St
6- 3.0...304...5.22 -------- 366.26
Super Strong-
18 --CANNON Marcus
TCU
6- 5.0...319...5.46 -------- 364.10
RS-06, Can do a double flip off the diving board -Majorly Strong
19 --WILLIAMS James-
Harvard
6- 4.4...298...5.02 -------- 357.64
Sleeper, Smart, hard working, Pass on Law School for a shot at the NFL
20 --BOLING Clint
Georgia
6- 5.0...297...5.04 -------- 356.12

21 --AGUAYO Mike
UTEP
6- 4.6...295...4.94 -------- 356.05

22 --PEMBERTON Cole
Colorado State
6- 7.0...320...5.36 -------- 355.63
Better foot work, Locks guys up well,
23 --LINKENBACH Jeffrey
Cincinnati
6- 5.4...314...5.38 -------- 355.54
Hands on controller
24 --BARKSDALE Joseph
LSU
6- 6.0...323...4.98 -------- 351.79

25 --LANDOLT Dennis
Penn State
6- 3.4...307...5.16 -------- 351.49
Arrived Spr. 07 as real deal player
26 --HORN Levi

6- 7.0...305...5.15 -------- 350.34
Oregon Transfer -Can freeze Dee Guy in tracks- street fighter
27 --BARRICK Austin
Georgia Tech
6- 2.0...285...4.92 -------- 350.08
Can seal the heck out of a corner, Fullback-Tight End ,taking a arun at O Tackle
28 --HIX Kyle ,

RESIN8

Reaction score
The Realist;3242872 said:
I'll take butchering the English language for $200 Chuck.

Good for you. you caught that. Nice to have your own personal spell check.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
What is the basis of people saying Adams is finished? Provide stats or some objective measure rather than saying he sucks.

It's my opinion he is inconsistent but able to protect Tony pretty well. There is no other LT on the team able to do his job. I give you evidence of Sunday's body of work to those who say Free is ready.

As far as drafting a LT, I wouldn't look to address a specific need but would stay close to the BPA within reason. I think this is the way to draft anyway esp for a team that has most of its starters in place. There is little room for a rookie to start on this team. And we aren't picking a blue chipper in the coming draft.

I do feel we need to draft at least one OL and it should probably be on the first day if at all possible. We need to start drafting replacements along the OL. But I wouldn't take an OL if the BPA was clearly a tier above anyone else an especially if it was a WR.

The club needs to address the offense even though it needs a ball hawking FS to round out that defense.

RESIN8

Reaction score
jobberone;3243369 said:
What is the basis of people saying Adams is finished? Provide stats or some objective measure rather than saying he sucks.

It's my opinion he is inconsistent but able to protect Tony pretty well. There is no other LT on the team able to do his job. I give you evidence of Sunday's body of work to those who say Free is ready.

As far as drafting a LT, I wouldn't look to address a specific need but would stay close to the BPA within reason. I think this is the way to draft anyway esp for a team that has most of its starters in place. There is little room for a rookie to start on this team. And we aren't picking a blue chipper in the coming draft.

I do feel we need to draft at least one OL and it should probably be on the first day if at all possible. We need to start drafting replacements along the OL. But I wouldn't take an OL if the BPA was clearly a tier above anyone else an especially if it was a WR.

The club needs to address the offense even though it needs a ball hawking FS to round out that defense.

I think with Adams it's his age. The guy is 35, so while he's not done we might want to explore a replacement for the near future.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
RESIN8;3243429 said:
I think with Adams it's his age. The guy is 35, so while he's not done we might want to explore a replacement for the near future.

I agree with this completely. He's still got at least another year but we must be prepared for his retirement. His injury could be interpreted as another sign of aging.

We need to draft a tackle and a g/c emphasis on the c part. Especially the former.

Reaction score
It's been obvious for a while, except for the power that be in Dallas, that we have needed to address the Oline early & often in the draft. When we passed up both Will Beatty & Sebastian Vollmer in the second rd., then took only an OG in the third last year, I was sick. Obviously, Vollmer would have faired better as a rookie than Free did Sunday, since I watched him stone Dwight Freeney when New England's LT got hurt earlier this year.

We HAVE to go after OLs this year! The heck with BPA. It's BOLA!

I like Charles Brown from USC. At 6-6, 300, he's big enough to hold his own, and has tremendous athleticism. He has the superior quickness you need to handle speed rushers. Once he gets into an NFL strength program, he will bulk up & get strong enough to do his job.

newlander

Reaction score
Bulaga of Iowa is the real deal IMO. I've seen the guy in person....but just don't know if he'll fall that far....might need to trade up to get him to about 17-22ish.

DFWJC

Reaction score
FWIW
The "Football Expert" mock has us taking OT Trent Williams with the 27th pick and then ILB Eric Norwood in the 2nd round.

newlander

Reaction score
......I dunno DFW...lots of folks on this board are real down on Williams. Personally, i've NEVER seen him play so I have no opinion. God, drafting olinemen is a complete crap shoot. Anyone that says different isn't being honest.

*******what's the scoop on this guy?............

"Indiana offensive tackle Rodger Saffold is a player to watch. The explosion he displayed coming out of his stance and his mobility to the second level were impressive, even without pads. On one play, he gave Purdue defensive tackle Mike Neal a good ride off the snap, and Neal has plenty of strength himself. Saffold possesses the strength and footwork to be among the 10 tackles potentially selected in the top 100 this year"

I started another thread on him but shouldn't have: it'll probably be merged into this one, where I should've posted it in the first place. Opinions on this kid?

newlander

Reaction score
......never mind...sdogo come through again: glowing reports of this kid, and they project him going in the 3rd round: although not necessarily at LT;but maybe inside instead