OFFICIAL CBA Q & A THREAD (Cap Status Link)...Please post all CBA/CAP questions here!

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
DrunkWithPower said:
AdamJT13-

If I understand correctly, the skins are in bad shape if the CBA is not extended. I know in previous posts you stated they would probably not have to release any big name players, but what happens if none of the "big name" players want to help the front office out? I just read an article implying Brunell doesn't want to cooperate, so there is some legitimacy to this argument. If they cut them they'll get hit with high cap charges, and keeping them with the charge they have is not possible. I see some really bad things happening if the players just so "take a hike". Am I correct?

You're correct. If enough players refuse to restructure their contracts, the Skins will have to cut players they hadn't planned on cutting -- maybe even guys such as Santana Moss (if they haven't already exercised his option, in which case it would be too late), Jon Jansen, Marcus Washington, Phillip Daniels or Renaldo Wynn.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Is it $95 million or is it more than that? Are teams penalized draft picks if they arent what is the big deal???

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please keep all general cap-related questions or comments to this thread. Thanks.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
If there is an uncapped year aren't there some rules that take effect as to whether the team made the playoffs or not and can't teams still use the franchise and transition tags and tender RFAs

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score
Thanks AdamJT13! The cool thing is the Commanders have no bargaining power with any of these players either. This is an opportunity for them to maybe jump into free agency again after big signing bonuses and get another to boot! This really may turn out to be a bloody Thursday!

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score
I just read in another thread Brunell has agreed to a restructered contract. The good news is he was the least of their problems cap-wise. The bad news is the Commanders got one of their players to cave. Unfortunately for Brunell, I think he could have gotten some money on the FA market since he played very well last year. He chose the safe way and stayed put.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
DrunkWithPower said:
I just read in another thread Brunell has agreed to a restructered contract. The good news is he was the least of their problems cap-wise. The bad news is the Commanders got one of their players to cave. Unfortunately for Brunell, I think he could have gotten some money on the FA market since he played very well last year. He chose the safe way and stayed put.

He wasn't leaving his relationship with Gibbs and Washington. That was a no-brainer.

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score
I guess it all depends on how greedy Brunell wanted to be. I agree with you there oust definitely is a comfort level between him and the organization, and maybe at this stage of his career that's what he's looking for. The younger players on the team may have a different view, and I'm sure their agents are outlining their options right now...

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
dr_hefley said:
So if there's no cap, why do the Commanders have to cut players to "get under the cap?"

I have no idea what the Chuck Norris stuff is about, or how John Clayton figures in this converstion.

We would all like to see John Clayton tick off Chuck Norris. That's how it's all figures in together. I know I'd pay to see it.

TheHustler

Reaction score
dr_hefley said:
So if there's no cap, why do the Commanders have to cut players to "get under the cap?"

I have no idea what the Chuck Norris stuff is about, or how John Clayton figures in this converstion.

The cap for 06, if there is no CBA will be between 92-95 million. At that number, the skins are screwed. If there is one, the cap for 06 will be higher and the skins will be slightly less screwed.

neosapien23

Reaction score
What is the deadline for the CBA to get done? Can't a new CBA just come out after the deadline and stop the uncapped year from ever taking place?

mmurray21

Reaction score
When do the Raiders start cutting guys, they have some nice young receivers that look tasty.

felix360

Reaction score
mmurray21 said:
When do the Raiders start cutting guys, they have some nice young receivers that look tasty.
:beer1::omg::flipflop: yes indeed, maybe one of thiers will fit nicely with crayton and T.O.

ravidubey

Reaction score
New question, how do June cuts work this year should 2007 remain uncapped? Normally the current year's signing bonus amortization is unaffected but the amortization accelerates in the following year. Does this include uncapped years?

It would appear on the face of it that acceleration into an uncapped year is a very desirable thing!

So suppose someone cuts a player in June cough-RIVERA-cough expecting to be saved by the uncapped year and then a new CBA happens after the fact? Ooops. Sounds like June cuts should be made with the expecations that a new CBA will be put in effect just in case.

kTXe

On To The Next One
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
So suppose someone cuts a player in June cough-RIVERA-cough expecting to be saved by the uncapped year and then a new CBA happens after the fact? Ooops. Sounds like June cuts should be made with the expecations that a new CBA will be put in effect just in case.
I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that I remember reading that if no CBA is reached before the start of FA this year, 2007 will STILL be uncapped. Hopefully someone can confirm that or correct me if I am wrong.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
New question, how do June cuts work this year should 2007 remain uncapped?

June 2 will be meaningless if 2007 is uncapped. Everything will accelerate into this season's cap, no matter when the player is cut, as long as 2007 is uncapped.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
eman721 said:
I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that I remember reading that if no CBA is reached before the start of FA this year, 2007 will STILL be uncapped. Hopefully someone can confirm that or correct me if I am wrong.

That's not necessarily true, although Gene Upshaw's rhetoric says that's what will happen. But the CBA still can be extended anytime before the 2007 league year begins, and that could make 2007 a capped season.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Adam, is this like Christmas for you?

On a serious note, if the salary cap is a thing of the past, do you forsee contraction in the league? If so, which teams?