Reaction score
Here's mine to get things started.

2017-08-24_1059.png

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McFadden is more valuable than Morris.
M. White to the PS, keep may keep an extra DL, or go 8 on OL. Skipper a PS guy.

Does Hanna make the team, or is he trade bait?

_sturt_

Reaction score
(Begging your pardon and with all due respect, @jazzcat22 , prefer not to turn this into a piece-meal thread about this player or that player--God knows we have any of several of those discussions going on in their own threads in the forum, right?)

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Fascinated by the thought that Skipper is anything but JAG.

Sydla

Reaction score

2017-08-24_1059.png

McFadden over Morris. No K. Smith. R. Smith plays FB in a pinch.

So it would be Elliott, McFadden, Morris and R. Smith at RB for me.

No real issues with the rest of the roster.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Good to get everyone on the record.

I'm sure the board admins will offer up a big, big prize from their prize closet for whoever first gets it all exactly right.

Huuuge prize.

Enormous, colossal, life-changing prize.

I'm sure of it.

:)

But, so, I can understand if most perceive I've already won, and see better ways of spending their time.

:D

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
(Begging your pardon and with all due respect, @jazzcat22 , prefer not to turn this into a piece-meal thread about this player or that player--God knows we have any of several of those discussions going on in their own threads in the forum, right?)

Not starting anything, I am just posting my opinion. I am permitted to do that aren't I?

_sturt_

Reaction score
Sure you are @jazzcat22 . I just immediately found myself responding to justify a couple of the things you questioned, before I caught myself and realized that I might be already contributing to the thread becoming something piece-meal. As explained, there are ample other threads where individual situations can and are being discussed.

Wanted to just catalog here individual fans' overall take on the overall make-up of the roster. (No offense intended, hopefully none taken.)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

2017-08-24_1059.png

Romo is not an option. Please move on from this concept.

McFadden is not getting cut and shouldn't. Morris has not proven anything since he's been here. McFadden has been good when they needed him.

I would like to see them keep N. Brown.

I guess they keep 4 TEs, but Hanna and Swaim seem redundant.

I agree that Skipper has more upside than Cleary, but Skipper has been much farther down the depth chart than Cleary. Skipper is the borderline type that they might have to take a chance and try to slide to the PS.

Not certain Neal makes it. He would probably make it to the PS. He's a scheme limited player and even in this scheme probably a situational player due to very limited size.

It's highly likely they keep all DEs listed even when Irving and Moore return. Crawford or Irving will play a lot of DT at that point.

Lotulelei has not been good in the preseason. There are 2 or 3 players that have been better. I see zero chance that he remains and I'm not even certain they want him on the PS.

Agree that if a 6th CB makes the roster it will be White. They need more size/length in that position group.

Agree on Safety. Frazier has really shown up this preseason and Woods was terrific in that one game. Awuzie can play Safety also. They will not want to cut Blanton because they're not deep on experience but he just has not looked that good in the preseason; although, Safety is really difficult to evaluate from Broadcast footage.

Summary, there are about 6 spots for the following list of players if Elliott suspended:
OL Skipper
OL Cleary
WR N. Brown
TE Hanna (2.25M base salary will be guaranteed is he's is on the roster for game 1, redundant with Swaim)
DT Neal
LB Jones
LB Nzeocha
LB Durant
CB White
S Blanton
QB Moore

I'll guess the top 5 as:
LB Nzeocha - Could be Jones but either way probably 7 LBs
LB Durant
CB White
WR N. Brown
QB Moore - Salary not guaranteed. They can cut him when suspended players return.

That leaves 1 from this list. I think they'll want another OL because both Cooper and Green have significant injury histories.
OL Skipper
OL Cleary
S Blanton
TE Hanna (2.25M base salary will be guaranteed is he's is on the roster for game 1, redundant with Swaim)
DT Neal - Maybe they find a way to keep him while Irving suspended; otherwise, Crawford likley has to play a few snaps at DT.
LB Jones

_sturt_

Reaction score
(Thanks @xwalker . Again again, we can debate specific players, and are doing just that in other threads. This is just hoped... hoped... to be a repository thread where individual fans can catalog their own verdicts, and maybe some commentary as to how they came to the decisions that they did.)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
(Thanks @xwalker . Again again, we can debate specific players, and are doing just that in other threads. This is just hoped... hoped... to be a repository thread where individual fans can catalog their own verdicts, and maybe some commentary as to how they came to the decisions that they did.)
You're never going to be able to post a roster projection and not gets replies in regards to why specific players will or won't make the roster.

The closest you'll get is to create a thread asking people for their roster projection.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think we will keep all 4 tight ends unless one of them is traded for a draft pick. That's a lot of depth at tight end, but Witten is getting long in the tooth. We should keep all 4 because this could be Witten's last year and we don't want to be forced to draft a tight end next year.

_sturt_

Reaction score
You're never going to be able to post a roster projection and not gets replies in regards to why specific players will or won't make the roster.

Right, well it's true there's no law and punishment to keep them from it.

But one would like to think that if you ask for people to post their roster projection specifically with whatever justification/explanations they want to give... in a thread that is titled in just that way to suggest the same... there might be some who respect that and cooperate.

The closest you'll get is to create a thread asking people for their roster projection.

Um. So, when I said, among other things, "Here's mine to get things started," and "Good to get everyone on the record"... you somehow took that as sarcasm?

Nope. Was a straight-up intent from the beginning. I felt I'd been pretty clear... that's exactly why I would start a thread titled "Official Game One Roster Conjecture/Analysis Thread."

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right, well it's true there's no law and punishment to keep them from it.

But one would like to think that if you ask for people to post their roster projection specifically with whatever justification/explanations they want to give... in a thread that is titled in just that way to suggest the same... there might be some who respect that and cooperate.

Um. So, when I said, among other things, "Here's mine to get things started," and "Good to get everyone on the record"... you somehow took that as sarcasm?

Nope. Was a straight-up intent from the beginning. I felt I'd been pretty clear... that's exactly why I would start a thread titled "Official Game One Roster Conjecture/Analysis Thread."

This is the title of the thread: Official Game One Roster Conjecture/Analysis Thread

That's inviting people to analyze what you posted.

The thread title you should have used: Post your 53 man roster projection here.

In the post you would say something like: I wanted to get everyone on record with their roster prediction. Please post your roster prediction before xx/yy/zzzz date and we'll see who was the most accurate.

I don't really understand why you wouldn't want to discuss a roster that you posted.

_sturt_

Reaction score
This is the title of the thread: Official Game One Roster Conjecture/Analysis Thread

That's inviting people to analyze what you posted.

The thread title you should have used: Post your 53 man roster projection here.

In the post you would say something like: I wanted to get everyone on record with their roster prediction. Please post your roster prediction before xx/yy/zzzz date and we'll see who was the most accurate.

Entitled to your opinion, and appreciate I suppose knowing how you think it should've been done.

For my part, won't belabor it any further, but (a) the title, (b) the first sentence suggesting it is the "starter" post and if a "starter," then seemingly naturally, others were being invited to follow, and then (c) the graphic displaying a roster and some commentary seemingly naturally indicating what content others were being invited to follow with... all of that, maybe to only me, is a seemingly natural way to introduce the post. Add to that the several times now that I've used words like "catalog," and offered some even further explicit guardrails for what I was hoping others would offer here. If that's insufficient, I suppose I'll just have to live with that. There are bigger concerns, especially as the rain begins to fall here in Beaumont.

I don't really understand why you wouldn't want to discuss a roster that you posted.

Because it tends to hijack a thread like this into any or all of those mini-discussions instead of accomplishing what it was set-out to achieve. And because, again, it's not like there aren't multiple threads out there where the individual player debates aren't already taking place. And because we're all obliged to our own perspective based on the reports we've read/heard, none of those reports coming from the discussions being had behind closed doors between any of the actual decision-makers who ultimately will make the final determinations.

That's as succinctly as I know how to say it.

And btw... thank you (sincerely) for posting yours to the degree that you did.

haleyrules

Reaction score
lol. On this site!! Good luck.;).

_sturt_

Reaction score
I think we will keep all 4 tight ends unless one of them is traded for a draft pick. That's a lot of depth at tight end, but Witten is getting long in the tooth. We should keep all 4 because this could be Witten's last year and we don't want to be forced to draft a tight end next year.

Care to offer your full opening night 53 @Verdict ?