***Official Streaming Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and other streaming sites thread***

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I am watching it. My initial reaction is it is moving too slow for what I think it is supposed to be. When turning a video game into a series you have to remember that the game player controls the speed and because it is interactive it may move slowly but it is still interesting. (I never played the game so I have no familiarity with the storyline.) In a series, the script has to be keep the story moving, add the suspense, and keep the viewers interested. So far Last of US gets a C- in this category.

I like Pedro Pascal as an actor. He usually makes whatever he is in more compelling to the viewer. I think that is true in Last of Us too. Bella Ramsey I can take or leave. Her character in GoT was great but in this character, she lacks the range and acting ability of Pascal. I would have cast someone else in the role. I don't want to say she is not a good actor, but I have to. She is not a good actor. Her GoT fame got her this part I assume, but Jenna Ortega's acting in her role as Wednesday shames Ramsey as and actor. Ramsey's part I assume is that of an annoying smart mouth teenager. In a video game that probably is not as annoying to the player as it is to the viewers of Last of Us. They should have toned it down.

As most people know there was a lot of controversy over the 3rd episode. I understand the tangential story was in the game, but I thought the episode was totally unnecessary regardless of the sexuality of the characters, and was a divergence from the main storyline. They could have dealt with the episode in a 5 minute flashback of some sort and then moved back to the main characters to make the show move faster. Imagine being in a world where almost everyone is dead and there is the constant threat of danger every moment. It should not be hard to keep the suspense at peak levels for 45 minutes each week. Consider what would be most important every minute of every day in a world like that. Last of Us seems to miss the target on that point most of the time.

The 4th episode almost repeats the same mistake. In a video game these types of sub-stories act as levels of play, but in a series, if not done right, they just seem to be padding to fill 8 45 minute episodes. In episode 4 we get another new character played by Melanie Lynskey (2 1/2 Men and Yellowjackets), another actress who I think has sub-par acting skills. (I know, I am harsh). She just does not come off as natural to me. All I can say is, if the world ever goes to Hades in a hand basket, I sure hope the last surviving humans don't waste all their precious bullets on each other. I imagine 20 years after the fall of civilization bullets would be hard to come by. Surely we would resort to killing each other with spears and arrows. Even Road Warrior got that mostly right. In any case, I hope this show is not using "guest stars" to attract viewers instead of suspenseful scenes and episodes.
Good points. Id be interested in hearing from someone that had played the game, because I keep hearing how amazing the story line was. For me so far, it's just like The Walking Dead. I'm not seeing anything that really sets it apart.

Creeper

Reaction score
Good points. Id be interested in hearing from someone that had played the game, because I keep hearing how amazing the story line was. For me so far, it's just like The Walking Dead. I'm not seeing anything that really sets it apart.
I never watched Walking Dead, but there have been plenty of Zombie shows to draw from. Black Summer is better than Last of Us. I am sorry they have not renewed Black Summer for a 3rd season yet. Seems like after all this time it is probably not coming back.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I am watching it. My initial reaction is it is moving too slow for what I think it is supposed to be. When turning a video game into a series you have to remember that the game player controls the speed and because it is interactive it may move slowly but it is still interesting. (I never played the game so I have no familiarity with the storyline.) In a series, the script has to be keep the story moving, add the suspense, and keep the viewers interested. So far Last of US gets a C- in this category.

I like Pedro Pascal as an actor. He usually makes whatever he is in more compelling to the viewer. I think that is true in Last of Us too. Bella Ramsey I can take or leave. Her character in GoT was great but in this character, she lacks the range and acting ability of Pascal. I would have cast someone else in the role. I don't want to say she is not a good actor, but I have to. She is not a good actor. Her GoT fame got her this part I assume, but Jenna Ortega's acting in her role as Wednesday shames Ramsey as and actor. Ramsey's part I assume is that of an annoying smart mouth teenager. In a video game that probably is not as annoying to the player as it is to the viewers of Last of Us. They should have toned it down.

As most people know there was a lot of controversy over the 3rd episode. I understand the tangential story was in the game, but I thought the episode was totally unnecessary regardless of the sexuality of the characters, and was a divergence from the main storyline. They could have dealt with the episode in a 5 minute flashback of some sort and then moved back to the main characters to make the show move faster. Imagine being in a world where almost everyone is dead and there is the constant threat of danger every moment. It should not be hard to keep the suspense at peak levels for 45 minutes each week. Consider what would be most important every minute of every day in a world like that. Last of Us seems to miss the target on that point most of the time.

The 4th episode almost repeats the same mistake. In a video game these types of sub-stories act as levels of play, but in a series, if not done right, they just seem to be padding to fill 8 45 minute episodes. In episode 4 we get another new character played by Melanie Lynskey (2 1/2 Men and Yellowjackets), another actress who I think has sub-par acting skills. (I know, I am harsh). She just does not come off as natural to me. All I can say is, if the world ever goes to Hades in a hand basket, I sure hope the last surviving humans don't waste all their precious bullets on each other. I imagine 20 years after the fall of civilization bullets would be hard to come by. Surely we would resort to killing each other with spears and arrows. Even Road Warrior got that mostly right. In any case, I hope this show is not using "guest stars" to attract viewers instead of suspenseful scenes and episodes.
Agreed on all points, even the spoiler, it is moving real slow. There is very little suspense and it seems they want to focus on side-stories based around poor acting from most.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
With Mandalorian Season 3 coming out, my wife caught up on Mandalorian Season 2.5, otherwise known as the Book of Boba Fett, and so I saw it a second time. I’m glad I gave that series another chance after Reality warned me I would be lost in Season 3. Ended up being just as good as the other series. Really dug the Man Called Horse meets Star Wars vibe. One of my favorite westerns. To heck with the new movies, Mandalorian is the one I prefer. Reminds me much more of the original Star Wars movies.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
I have rewatched his skit, Lisa from Temecula, about a dozen times. I crack up every time he couldn't stop himself from laughing.
Ego Nwodim crushed it in that skit. I felt like she went off script when she asked the waiter, "Because we're black?" I'm glad I wasn't taking a drink when she said that! :laugh:
That sketch is an instant classic. The physical comedy of her trying to cut into her "extra, extra well done" steak was hilarious. I also laughed out loud at that line. Other great lines include "You think it's gonna be nasty without ketchup?" and "Antonio Banderas over here trying to get some butt while he got Cujo living in his basement." But who wouldn't be trying to get some butt from Ego Nwodim? ;)

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Watched the first three episodes of Last of Us. I’m always down for end of the world zombie flicks, but it is as good as advertised.

Walking Dead meets Lost. I’ve always known Pedro Pascal was a badarse but that girl is no lightweight either. She was awesome as the tough little girl warrior queen in Game of Thrones, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a British actor so young do a perfect American accent, or vice versa.

The only thing I don’t understand is the story in Episode 2 about the spread and start Overseas. Doesn’t make much sense. Too many holes in that for a disease that infects and kills in 24 hours. Can’t say anymore or will be spoilers.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m actually glad that they don’t. And I think it’s smarter business to keep subscriptions going.
I think that really only works on Disney+ with The Mandalorian and Andor. Has to be of significance.

HBO has always been a week at a time so I am used to that but I've always recorded the episodes, before they were streaming, and then watched them like I wanted to, my definition of On Demand.

And HBO has proof of stringing it out to keep subscribers because they had more GOT only subscribers than anyone has ever seen.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m actually glad that they don’t. And I think it’s smarter business to keep subscriptions going.
One week at a time probably gets people talking around the water cooler each week, making other people curious to see the show.

Some shows I don't mind waiting for, while others make me want to binge the whole season. I think maybe sometimes, if the show has a lot to digest, I'm good with waiting. It could also be that some shows just aren't as good with cliffhangers that make you feel like you've seen a whole episode.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One week at a time probably gets people talking around the water cooler each week, making other people curious to see the show.

Some shows I don't mind waiting for, while others make me want to binge the whole season. I think maybe sometimes, if the show has a lot to digest, I'm good with waiting. It could also be that some shows just aren't as good with cliffhangers that make you feel like you've seen a whole episode.
I like having that time to ‘digest’ and talk about it with others.

But other than Disney+ series, there are very few that I watch week of release anyway.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Star Trek: Picard's final season started tonight. Looks to me like they learned from last season. The first episode flowed well without any awkwardness in the plot and actors within scenes. It is visually really clean also, paying homage to Star Trek's legacy. It is only one episode down but 'seems like' the series finale is gonna be a doozy.

For those interested, there is a quick 10-second tribute to Annie Wersching embedded seamlessly within the ending credits. Wersching played the Borg Queen last season. She died at age 45 of cancer last month.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jim Jeffries "High and Dry" Netflix. 8/10. If you are a fan, as I am, he really delivers but if you have not seen him before, be prepared as he doesn't have a filter but man, is he funny.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Star Trek: Picard's final season started tonight. Looks to me like they learned from last season. The first episode flowed well without any awkwardness in the plot and actors within scenes. It is visually really clean also, paying homage to Star Trek's legacy. It is only one episode down but 'seems like' the series finale is gonna be a doozy.

For those interested, there is a quick 10-second tribute to Annie Wersching embedded seamlessly within the ending credits. Wersching played the Borg Queen last season. She died at age 45 of cancer last month.
"Excellent recovery, Admiral!"

"Shut it, Will!"

:laugh:

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Finally jumped into The Last of Us. So far so good!! The first episode was incredibly true to it's source material. In fact, there were some scenes that were verbatim to the video game. After that, while it has stuck fairly close, I noticed some artistic liberties. That's OK, that is just the way Hollywood goes. Plus, I understand the interest for filler content and some changes to keep the show "fresh" for the video game audience.

I thought they did incredible with the Clickers. Hollywood is getting real good with their costumes/makeup these days.