***Official Tired of Talking TO Thread***

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Link

Players Union Asking That Eagles Reinstate Owens After Suspension
By DAVE GOLDBERG

NEW YORK (AP) -
The NFL Players Association wants the Philadelphia Eagles to cut Terrell Owens if they're not going to reinstate him after his four-game suspension is over.

"We're not asking them to play him, we can't force them to do that," Gene Upshaw, the NFLPA's executive director, said Wednesday. "But if they're not going to let him come back to practice and do all the other things associated with that, then we want them to cut him, let him become a free agent now."

The union already has appealed the four-game suspension levied on the wide receiver by the Eagles for what coach Andy Reid called "a large number of situations that accumulated over a long period of time."

The appeal will be heard before arbitrator Richard Bloch on Nov. 19.

But Upshaw said that even if the suspension is upheld, the Eagles can't just tell Owens to stay away from the team and its practice facility.

"We are taking the position that's additional punishment," Upshaw told The Associated Press. "It's not fair to a player not to have an additional chance."

Upshaw differentiated between the Eagles' suspension of Owens and Tampa Bay's decision two years ago to make Keyshawn Johnson inactive for the final six games of the season. Johnson signed in 2004 with Dallas, for whom he now plays.

"There was no suspension there. A team has the right to inactivate a player for whatever reason it wants," he said. "But in T.O.'s case, this is a team suspension, not a commissioner's deal. They're different. When we bargained in those rules, there was a reason for it. The most a player can be suspended is four games. You can't go beyond that."​

Duane

Reaction score
Way to go Gene, make the players union look even worse.

JDSmith

Reaction score
A team has the right to inactivate a player for whatever reason it wants

I've always felt that Upshaw was an idiot. This only confirms it.

Edit: Damnit, that's actually a word. I think Upshaw lucked out.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Gotta love how Upshaw is handling Quincy Carter and T.O. respectively. I don't have too much respect for a man like that. He sure is mucking up the integrity of the game.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Upshaw to Leary: Cummmmoonnnn.............. Just let him go outside and play.

Leary to Upshaw: Go to bed and shut your bedroom door.

What an idiot.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Bring back T.O. Let him practice. Let him suit up for games and just don't play him.

There is precedent to pay a player to stay home. The Eagles don't have to change their minds just because Upshaw asks them.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Fletch said:
Gotta love how Upshaw is handling Quincy Carter and T.O. respectively. I don't have too much respect for a man like that. He sure is mucking up the integrity of the game.

He's like a defense attorney. His job isn't to get guys off who are innocent, it's to get everyone off regardless of their crime.

JDSmith

Reaction score
As long as they pay him they can do whatever they want with him. They might have to say that he's not 'suspended' in order to placate Upshaw, but they surely won't have to play TO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
JDSmith said:
As long as they pay him they can do whatever they want with him. They might have to say that he's not 'suspended' in order to placate Upshaw, but they surely won't have to play TO.

Straight up. This is stupid. The players union can't say **** about this.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I didn't see Upshaw rush to Jeff Robinson's defense when Dallas asked Jeff not to attend team workouts this past off season. :)

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Great they helped him get his way last year so what will stop them now?

When TO doesn't get his way he whines to the union.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Bring back T.O. Let him practice. Let him suit up for games and just don't play him.

There is precedent to pay a player to stay home. The Eagles don't have to change their minds just because Upshaw asks them.
Nah make him a gunner on punts and nothing else :D

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't really see what the big deal is here. TO probably wants to work on his round ball game anyhow. I think the CBA season starts the 16th. That's right around the corner.

:)

blindzebra

Reaction score
JDSmith said:
He's like a defense attorney. His job isn't to get guys off who are innocent, it's to get everyone off regardless of their crime.

Actually that is not what a defense attorney's job is supposed to be. It was not designed to get anyone off, it was to make sure they got a fair trial.

Neither side should be about winning, it's supposed to be about justice being served fairly.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Actually that is not what a defense attorney's job is supposed to be. It was not designed to get anyone off, it was to make sure they got a fair trial.

Neither side should be about winning, it's supposed to be about justice being served fairly.

To me, this whole thing is the epitome of justice. TO gets suspended and then grounded. Philly gets there upcomings for snaking Baltimore to begin with. The world keeps spinning and we pummel Philly, in Philly, this Monday.

How is this not a good deal?

;)

JDSmith

Reaction score
blindzebra said:

But we all know that what a defense attorney's job is supposed to be, and what a defense attorney actually does are two different things. Guilty people don't want a fair trial, they are guilty, they want someone to get them off. And if a defense attorney wants to eat he's going to get as many of those guilty *******s off as possible, so that he can get more of their business.

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
If the players union get's their way, I wonder what the Eagles options are.

Could they appoint a special coach to work with Owens independently? Effective making him his own team. That's what I'd like to see. They could go off, do some situps in the parking lot, play b-ball, listen to music with their headsets, put on some camo and have a paintball war, practice catching the ball cleanly, practice running routes when you know the ball won't come your way, practice run blocking, right sentences on the chalk board, collectively stroke TO's ego, work on loosening up TO's "groin injury". Whatever they want, as long as it keeps him away from the rest of the team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TobiasEagle77 said:
If the players union get's their way, I wonder what the Eagles options are.

Could they appoint a special coach to work with Owens independently? Effective making him his own team. That's what I'd like to see. They could go off, do some situps in the parking lot, play b-ball, listen to music with their headsets, put on some camo and have a paintball war, practice catching the ball cleanly, practice running routes when you know the ball won't come your way, practice run blocking, right sentences on the chalk board, collectively stroke TO's ego, work on loosening up TO's "groin injury". Whatever they want, as long as it keeps him away from the rest of the team.

Even the union rep has admitted that they can't force the eagles to activate him on game day. They can allow him to come back to practice and team meetings but Reid still controls who is active on game day and who sits.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Even the union rep has admitted that they can't force the eagles to activate him on game day. They can allow him to come back to practice and team meetings but Reid still controls who is active on game day and who sits.

They could let him come back. It would then just be a matter of time before he did something that would allow Philly to suspend him without pay again.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I think they should bring him back, make him active and force him to play on special teams only. That'd be fun.

:lmao: