Officiating “Crew Consistency” is something the NFL has discussed and focused on this offseason

sunalsorises

Reaction score
There could be an official assigned to each player and calls would still be missed. A good amount of rules are subjective (PI, catch/no catch, roughing the passer, etc.) and will never be called exactly the same.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I think chipping the ball and field to help with geolocating the position of the ball could certainly make a difference in spotting.

Outside of that, adding a few more cameras is probably the only other realistic thing at this point that would help.

The review process needs to be changed as well as what can be challenged and when. Far too much subjectivity that is impacting the game negativity
But is it? Players and coaches are humans and are allowed to make mistakes. So why do we expect perfection from referees? Yes, sometimes a game will end with the "wrong" winner due to a bad call, but as I said: its a game created by humans, played by humans and refereed by humans. It would help alot if fans could accept that. Doesn't mean they shouldn't constantly improve the process, but it will never be perfect.

Jipper

Reaction score
But is it? Players and coaches are humans and are allowed to make mistakes. So why do we expect perfection from referees? Yes, sometimes a game will end with the "wrong" winner due to a bad call, but as I said: its a game created by humans, played by humans and refereed by humans. It would help alot if fans could accept that. Doesn't mean they shouldn't constantly improve the process, but it will never be perfect.
It's not about perfection, it's about reducing as much subjectivity as possible. Mistakes will always be made when the human element is involved as you stated - however, the more you can take subjectivity out of the equation the better the accuracy of the experience.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
It's not about perfection, it's about reducing as much subjectivity as possible. Mistakes will always be made when the human element is involved as you stated - however, the more you can take subjectivity out of the equation the better the accuracy of the experience.
I of course see your point. I just want to add the notion into the discussion, that in soccer the so called VAR (video assistant referee) hasn't helped one bit. Before it was completely subjective as the referee on the pitch was the lone decision maker. Of course you had all sorts of replays but they would never overturn a decision. Then they added the VAR a couple of years ago, and the outcry after close calls is just as big as it was before. I mean two people can watch the very same video and have completely opposite opinions. We have seen that right here in the forum many times.

And this is not about "where was the ball" but more about holding calls and the likes. No matter how many cameras you have on the spot, as long as people interprete the footage it will never be a 100% consensus.

T-RO

Reaction score
Disagree. NBA refs, though not perfect, are far far better than any other major sport.

Funniest post of the year. NBA refs are under a hurricane-hail of complaints at this very moment.

It's all a DraftKings world now with any sport, college or pro. Billionaire moguls ask you to play their game. Who wins? Certainly not sports integrity, certainly not you.

Jipper

Reaction score
I of course see your point. I just want to add the notion into the discussion, that in soccer the so called VAR (video assistant referee) hasn't helped one bit. Before it was completely subjective as the referee on the pitch was the lone decision maker. Of course you had all sorts of replays but they would never overturn a decision. Then they added the VAR a couple of years ago, and the outcry after close calls is just as big as it was before. I mean two people can watch the very same video and have completely opposite opinions. We have seen that right here in the forum many times.

And this is not about "where was the ball" but more about holding calls and the likes. No matter how many cameras you have on the spot, as long as people interprete the footage it will never be a 100% consensus.
agreed - and there will never be a way to take the full subjectivity out of the equation. That being the case, i think it is very important to use tech wherever possible to free up that portion of refereeing. For example - If the ref knows on a play where the wr is going to catch a ball while going out of bounds, he doesnt have to worry about where the spot of the ball is and can just focus in on the CB/WR contact plus the feet getting down then that is one less element he/she has to put mental focus towards and allows more focus on the subjective parts. The hypothesis would be that the extra attention helps the referee see the play more accurately and reduces potential "glaring" errors.

Granted - there will always be errors, but my point is the more we can free up in terms of referee attention / capacity with tech, the more they should theoretically be able to focus on the elements that are truly subjective.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As long as the human element is present, and in control, and as many judgment calls are allowed, this is never going to change.

How in the hell are roughing calls on QB's and facemasks on ball carriers missed when they're supposed to have multiple refs watching the ball?

When they changed the bump n run to increase more scoring for the fringe fans to increase the ratings, they completely changed the game. Then they try and level the playing field for the D's with the challengeable PI call and how did the refs respond? They made the games worse on purpose because they didn't like it and punished coaches for using it with other calls.

I have clocked reviews in at over 5 minutes and during that time the network managed to squeeze in another commercial break with 6-7 ads and the start/stop effect on the game makes some games unwatchable.

The NFL should cringe every time they hear an announcer say "well, looks like they're going to let them play today". The DB's have to feel their way along the beginning of the games or know details about the ref crew before they know how it's going to be played. Hand fighting is allowed by some but not by others.

When they changed the bump n run, the WR's 6' and above were in the minority and now the 6'4 220lb beast is becoming more normal and how in the hell is the smaller DB to have an even playing field? This one rule change is why we saw the QB stats get jacked and the 300 yard passing game become the standard.

And you can bet every time an announcer calls out some questionable calls his network is going to hear from the league office. That's why you'll hear those guys back off so quickly when they get riled after an obvious questionable call.

What those guys do is hard and I am surprised how many times they are right about a sideline pass watching a WR's feet and hands at the same time in real time but the NFL has let the officials become too much of a factor in games.

Between the commercials and stops by them, I now go Red Zone Channel or nothing unless it's the Cowboys. It is really unwatchable to me.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yea, right. It'll never be consistent as long as clowns like Shawn Hochuli are referees. That guy is the worst since his daddy. Full time refs and more tech might improve things, I'll have to see it to believe it. One thing they should do if fine referees for crap calls and non-calls.
Or grade them.
Bad calls you get knocked.
Good calls you get bumped.
Base officiating and grade them on performance, its how the real world works.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yup. Must keep calling key holding calls to sustain drives to keep games close. Gotta be consistent w/ that.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Or grade them.
Bad calls you get knocked.
Good calls you get bumped.
Base officiating and grade them on performance, its how the real world works.
the NFL is the ONLY major sport that does not have full time officials. Those saying that does not matter are morons

THAT SAID, the whole structure needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

MUCH higher standards for officials MUST BE MANDATORY.

You screw up and you pay for it

WHICH DOES NOT HAPPEN NOW..

Without accountability nothing else matters

kskboys

Reaction score
the NFL is the ONLY major sport that does not have full time officials. Those saying that does not matter are morons

THAT SAID, the whole structure needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

MUCH higher standards for officials MUST BE MANDATORY.

You screw up and you pay for it

WHICH DOES NOT HAPPEN NOW..

Without accountability nothing else matters
Does screwing up include calling holding calls and roughing calls in the 4th that they were not calling the entire game?

gtb1943

Reaction score
Does screwing up include calling holding calls and roughing calls in the 4th that they were not calling the entire game?
YEP. consistency and accountability.

Have a table for each official and things like that red flagged. The official is warned and then if he keeps doing it he is gone.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I think chipping the ball and field to help with geolocating the position of the ball could certainly make a difference in spotting.

Outside of that, adding a few more cameras is probably the only other realistic thing at this point that would help.

The review process needs to be changed as well as what can be challenged and when. Far too much subjectivity that is impacting the game negativity
Just need to adopt the XFL officiating methods. Don't call the ticky tack stuff, and each team gets one challenge that can challenge ANYTHING including non calls.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
They need to work more games - doing only 17 to 20 a year is not enough for them.
They should be working any of the other Pro leagues and college.
Each game should be broken down on tape for them by position.

It's getting used to the speed of play.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
This is exactly right. There's no way 7 officials watching super fast 11 matchups is going to call things correctly or exactly the same way all the time. By all means, improve the process so that you don't have a 12th player jump on the field to play and no one sees (lol) it but even if there was a completely perfect technology that covered all penalties via sensors or something, you'd hear about technology programming rigging conspiracies done by techies who grew up liking teams the Cowboys beat all the time in the 70s and 80s yet will magically never apply to Pittsburgh, Miami or the Raiders. Lol.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
This is exactly right. There's no way 7 officials watching super fast 11 matchups is going to call things correctly or exactly the same way all the time. By all means, improve the process so that you don't have a 12th player jump on the field to play and no one sees (lol) it but even if there was a completely perfect technology that covered all penalties via sensors or something, you'd hear about technology programming rigging conspiracies done by techies who grew up liking teams the Cowboys beat all the time in the 70s and 80s yet will magically never apply to Pittsburgh, Miami or the Raiders. Lol.
You are contradicting yourself. You have maintained that refs are absolutely 100% perfect when making calls against Dallas.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You are contradicting yourself. You have maintained that refs are absolutely 100% perfect when making calls against Dallas.
The post you quoted is one I've made several times on here. When y'all try to follow, you need to pay closer attention to all the data.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Just need to adopt the XFL officiating methods. Don't call the ticky tack stuff, and each team gets one challenge that can challenge ANYTHING including non calls.
Lot can be achieved with full time officials and certification programs . Developing consistency at least for that game for both sides is a good start.