Offseason Thoughts: Cowboys should have sold high on Prescott

JDSmith

Reaction score
The OP makes sense, if Dak doesn't continue to develop. But if Dak even plays as well as he did for the first 8 games of this season next year and beyond, then selling high wouldn't be high enough. Because Romo was coming to the end of his career either way, and when you have a chance to get a solid QB you don't get rid of him unless you've already got one for the long term. I thought Romo should have gotten his job back, but he was not likely here for a much longer term regardless.

Dak was bad the second half of the season, but he was solid in the first half. A lot of teams don't have solid play at the position, and they'll never contend as a result.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I strongly believe the Cowboys should have sold high on Prescott last year.

When Romo was healthy and able to return last year, he should have been reinserted into the starting position and I believe we would have gone further in the playoffs as a result. More importantly though, this team that was built around Romo should have sold Prescott to the highest bidder while they could. You probably could have gotten two first round draft picks or a first and a second for Prescott last year.

That would have gone a long way towards infusing talent into the defense.

Instead, we ended up getting nothing for Romo except his dead money against the salary cap. Regardless of how you felt about Romo and Prescott, this was the worst possible outcome. The team went all in on Romo (drafting a running back 4th overall is going all in) and then decided to deviate because of some success Prescott had early in his career. Financially, that was a huge gamble, and while this story has yet to be written, I'm convinced it won't pay off.

I don't want to belabor this argument, we've discussed this ad nauseam, but you now have an offensive crisis where we're saying our receivers and offensive line aren't any good. The same units who in 2014 were among the best in the league and improving.

The offense is extremely cap heavy and isn't nearly as productive as it needs to be (14th in the NFL). Many people will blame the suspension and injury to Smith. So, we're now wholly reliant on two players being healthy and available in order for this team to operate (Elliott and Smith).

Elliott is a running back and is not likely to stay healthy for the duration of his time with the Cowboys. Smith and his back will ONLY get worse. Now we're in a position where we're going to have to re-sign Zach Martin and the offense will become even more salary cap heavy...

Is Prescott going to turn into Brees overnight? If your answer is no, you have to realize this front office needs to make some hard decisions and quickly. Even with improvement, if he can't carry an offense minus a few star players, you can't expect to build around him and have a stout defense.

I think this defense has a lot of potential, but the timing hasn't exactly been perfect. Rather than putting all of our eggs in one basket with Lawrence and Irving, I think it would be prudent to instead focus on rebuilding the defensive line through the draft, similar to what we did with the secondary. Money should be spent on highly reliable free agents. The front seven should be the primary focus on this draft.

Depending on what it would cost to trade for and sign Earl Thomas, I would take a serious look at getting him and moving Jones back to corner. Under Richards, our secondary could become a legitimate unit in the NFL.

Galien-- I very much agree with much of your assessement---about Dak...last year was majical not because we were really that good...after
the league had time to scout Dak more...boom no more majic Dak...i do not have a PHD in bio-mechanics but i dont have to...Dak has serious
flaws in his throwing mechanics...Dak is very very strong...but it does not translate to throwing the ball either quickly or with velocity...also watch his throws ...his throws are flat--when at times they need to have touch and more arc...watch when Dak throws without having pressure from
the defense...he takes a long time to set up and deliver the ball..plus the way he throws is like a pitcher winding up before throwing a baseball...Dak has not learned to get his power and speed from his lower body..( hip-torque and stepping into the throw )...and a good qb steps and torgues hip quickly resulting in power generated to upper body and arms..plus..Dak neither last year nor this year is consistent throwing
downfield from the pocket...that is why they roll him out...oh man what a red flag....a good QB must be consistent throwing downfield from the pocket whether he is not getting pressured or is under pressure..having to roll Dak out cuts out 1/2 the field from being used..plus teams are catching on to Daks rollouts and they are getting less and less successful...i could go on and on...but there is a reason many people were reminded of Tim Tebow when they studied Dak..Tim Tebows mechanics were so poor no team wanted him at all after a few short years..and they knew he could not improve....I dont know for sure if Dak cannot really improve in these fundamental areas...but it will require a lot more than some minor adjustments in the off season...sorry if i rambled to much...have a great day

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I guess that’s where we disagree then. I prefer for the team to NOT throw a season away, and not try to win a championship.

I wonder how many people thought the eagles would win a Super Bowl this time last year?

I mean I don’t believe in Garrett at all as a head coach. But I still want the team to try and win.

Do you think anyone here wants us to lose?

The fact is the team isnt going to be good with what we're building. The offense is going in the wrong direction and the defense needs significant resources.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yeah, that was my question! You're asking to basically tank? Tank and rebuild? With this GM?

HungryLion

Reaction score

The fact is the team isnt going to be good with what we're building. The offense is going in the wrong direction and the defense needs significant resources.

The defense needs significant resources and you want to dump two of its most talented defensive lineman.

So that way the defense will need EVEN MORE resources (draft picks) put into it.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The OP makes sense, if Dak doesn't continue to develop. But if Dak even plays as well as he did for the first 8 games of this season next year and beyond, then selling high wouldn't be high enough. Because Romo was coming to the end of his career either way, and when you have a chance to get a solid QB you don't get rid of him unless you've already got one for the long term. I thought Romo should have gotten his job back, but he was not likely here for a much longer term regardless.

Dak was bad the second half of the season, but he was solid in the first half. A lot of teams don't have solid play at the position, and they'll never contend as a result.

A very reasonable assessment.

Dak definitely was bad the second half of the season. No excuse. But he was very solid the first half of the year.

The way some posters talk around here, you would
Think he was absolutely horrible out there the whole season

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
A very reasonable assessment.

Dak definitely was bad the second half of the season. No excuse. But he was very solid the first half of the year.

The way some posters talk around here, you would
Think he was absolutely horrible out there the whole season
And it wasn't just a bad 2nd half he played some decent ball in a few spots in the 2nd half. He still needs developing but no way should he be getting bashed like he is.

Had Wentz been our QB folks would have ran him out of town last year but he isn't a Cowboy so they praise him like no other

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The defense needs significant resources and you want to dump two of its most talented defensive lineman.

So that way the defense will need EVEN MORE resources (draft picks) put into it.

The draft picks are long term low cost solutions combined with affordable free agents and some dependable stars you can build a defense.

Asklesko

Reaction score
The coaching staff should have been tailoring game plans for him all off-season and not expect him to go in Romo 2.0.
Just some brain-dead stuff there... Especially after watching his limitations week after week and in practices.

You are still thinking the problem is in the game plan, but it's also in Dak. We went from one of the greats to a rookie and expected no decline. Bad idea.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Yeah, that was my question! You're asking to basically tank? Tank and rebuild? With this GM?

We're already doing it. We're still in the tanking phase of the process (tm) - is that a trademark or a copyright? You probably know that better than I do, but either way... Once we hit the 30 year mark the rest of the league should be sufficiently lulled, and then watch out.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
You are still thinking the problem is in the game plan, but it's also in Dak. We went from one of the greats to a rookie and expected no decline. Bad idea.
No, I'm thinking the problem is in both, but you like to make assumptions, rather than read my history and know.
Bad idea.

rags747

Reaction score
Guaranteed Jerry has Johnny Football at the ready after a 1 year stint in Canada. Don't laugh, we have had Henson, Hutch amongst others when we were desperately looking for qb's. Dak doesn't improve this year then Jerry will be on the loose and you just know they are buds.

ShiningStar

Reaction score

the teams havent been good in 20 years.

Pants

Reaction score
This thread, what? Sell on Dak? Keep a broken Romo??? What?

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
We sell Dak and Romo gets another season ending injury and then what? Or the team still fails to make it to the NFC Championship game with Romo due to the limitations of Garrett's coaching.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The draft picks are long term low cost solutions combined with affordable free agents and some dependable stars you can build a defense.

1. Irving and Lawrence may become dependable stars. They are both young and still developing.

2. Any “dependable star” in free agency doesn’t come as a long term, low cost solution. They are expensive.