Offseason Thoughts: Cowboys should have sold high on Prescott

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
They're too expensive potentially and have serious red flags. The problem with signing them is that you continue to put all your eggs in one basket. The result is when anything happens to either of them your depth is seriously hindered. Instead of drafting defensive line talent, you now need to focus that attention else where to make up for the money that you can't spend.

if they didn't have red flags it would be one thing, but you're asking for trouble signing even one of them, let alone both of them.
So this team goes into next season prepared to bomb righteously... Cool.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Don't know about selling high, but we should not have overrated him.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Yeah, OK. Jerry's superior talent evaluation skills helped them dodge the Goff/Wentz bullets.

We'll have to wait and see how that works out for him.

Not to mention Jerry's failed attempt to trade up for Paxton Lynch.

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
Dak had a good game in the Playoffs. Not so sure Tony was going to take us further, even if he was 100% healthy. Had Dak played like hot garbage in that Playoff game, maybe you'd have a point but in this case, you don't.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Don't know about selling high, but we should not have overrated him.
The coaching staff should have been tailoring game plans for him all off-season and not expect him to go in Romo 2.0.
Just some brain-dead stuff there... Especially after watching his limitations week after week and in practices.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Patriots also traded Matt Cassel for the 34th pick in the draft... again trading high...

cowboyec

Reaction score
up-grade the OG spot.
add a WR.
keep building that D.
Dak is the right guy.
Our time is coming....SOON.

HungryLion

Reaction score
They're too expensive potentially and have serious red flags. The problem with signing them is that you continue to put all your eggs in one basket. The result is when anything happens to either of them your depth is seriously hindered. Instead of drafting defensive line talent, you now need to focus that attention else where to make up for the money that you can't spend.

if they didn't have red flags it would be one thing, but you're asking for trouble signing even one of them, let alone both of them.

Neither one has to be signed long term this off season. U have another year to answer their red flags.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Neither one has to be signed long term this off season. U have another year to answer their red flags.

That's what you call hedging, where instead you could invest that money broadly and have much more consistent results.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
IMO, not inserting Romo back into the lineup in 2016 when he was fully healthy was the dumbest, most arrogant decision Garrett ever made. It didn't matter how good Prescott was playing. There was no chance that a rookie QB was going to win a Super Bowl, and it wasn't just a matter of how Prescott was playing, it was about respect and how much better the team could be with Romo in the lineup. Prescott was the future and Romo was the now. But just like Jerry, Garrett has to get all the credit and deflect all the blame, and since his new found rookies were playing so well, he could get the shadow of Romo covering for his horrible offensive schemes and coaching ability off of him.

I believe this will be a "karma" decision that will result in the red-headed step child never succeeding and winning anything.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
What money? We are talking about one year contracts.

The money you spend next year still comes from somewhere. It's money that can be carried over into the future years or used to pay free agents at any position right now.

There are times when 1 year deals are appropriate and others when they aren't.

Unless I was giving a superstar player a 1 year deal in a super bowl campaign, it's not worth doing big 1 year deals.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The money you spend next year still comes from somewhere. It's money that can be carried over into the future years or used to pay free agents at any position right now.

There are times when 1 year deals are appropriate and others when they aren't.

Unless I was giving a superstar player a 1 year deal in a super bowl campaign, it's not worth doing big 1 year deals.

Guys like Lawrence and Irving don’t grow on trees. So I guess the team isn’t trying to win a championship next year?

That’s a bummer.

HungryLion

Reaction score
They aren't winning next year...

I guess that’s where we disagree then. I prefer for the team to NOT throw a season away, and not try to win a championship.

I wonder how many people thought the eagles would win a Super Bowl this time last year?

I mean I don’t believe in Garrett at all as a head coach. But I still want the team to try and win.