Oh Commish your double standard is showing again

blindzebra

Reaction score
Now I have a certain amount of sympathy for the Reid family's situation, but had this been a player or a lesser coach I'm sure the league would be looking seriously at a suspension.

How can this situation not tarnish the league?

You have the constant neglect of family that goes with coaching.

You have the children of this coach doing wrong, right or wrong, that has to in some way reflect of Reid the man and father, and therefore negatively impacts the leagues image.

Now had his sons been screwing up on their own that would somewhat lessen Reid's role, but these kids were living in Reid's house, under his watch and his house was full of illegal drugs...now Vick was on the hot seat for owning the house where illegal activity was going on before his involvement became known, so how is this different?

If this were a player there would be a full investigation going on.

When Wade Wilson was up for the same offense as Rodney Harrison, even though Wilson's use of HGH gave him no on-field advantage, Wilson received a longer suspension...Goodell's quote, "Coaches will be held to a higher standard."

As we saw with Belichick and now with Reid that statement is a lie...only fringe coaches will be held to a higher standard, the big dogs get a slap on the wrist or skate completely.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I see that you have realized the Goodell is just a microcosm manifestation of a judge who is in charge of the "white-collar" criminal punishment and leniency system for certain offenders and not others.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
The NFL is going to punish someone for what a blood relative does? Um. No. And don't even compare this to Vick. Vick was personally involved. He personally executed dogs.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Ozzu;1741012 said:
The NFL is going to punish someone for what a blood relative does? Um. No. And don't even compare this to Vick. Vick was personally involved. He personally executed dogs.

I agree. You can't punish Reid for what his 24 yr old son did.

What world are we living on? That's not a double standard.

Sorry BZ. I am one of your staunchest supporters but this kind of a bit out there for even you bro. :p:

blindzebra

Reaction score
Dallas;1741015 said:

What world are we living on? That's not a double standard.

Sorry BZ. I am one of your staunchest supporters but this kind of a bit out there for even you bro. :p:

The kid was living in his house, he's accountable.

At the start of the Vick case, Vick was looking at a possible suspension for what his blood relative was doing in the house he owned.;)

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
You can't punish people for what they have at their house? Tank Johnson had unregistered weapons and weed at his house, who's to say they were his, illegal as all getup and violated his probabtion? Oh right, the law. If Reed knew his kid lived with him and knew there were drugs lying around, doesn't that make him guilty? It's his house, he can tell his son to leave and take the drugs with him.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Goodell to Wilson - Coaches are held to a higher standard

Goodell to Vick - You're responsible for activities on property you own.

A judge on (coach) Reid's house (a property he owns) - "a drug emporium".

Goodell on Reid - <crickets>

I don't believe that Reid should be held accountable for the actions of his children, but if the judge's statement has any merit at all, Goodell needs to make a statement as to the inconsistencies in punishment he's meting out.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I think Reid is personally accountable for being an absentee dad and by neglect, allowed drugs to be all over their house. But I don't know unless you can connect Reid to buying these drugs that the NFL can go after him.

There may be legs to if Reid or wife were involved in procuring. I read a story in Philly that said the Mom lined up and fed the kids all sort of painkiller cocktails and ill advised remedies.

One kid was taking vicodin and opiates prescribed at age 14 and there are allegations of steroid use also. I'm a parent and I'm not allowing those subscriptions into my house. Judge chided the Reids for wicked bad over medication history.

I don't see NFL going after Reid for now.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Dallas;1741015 said:

I agree to an extent as well.

People cry "Wade Wilson. Wade Wilson. Higher Standard. Higher Standard."

But really they are just hating on Reid.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Kids? They are ADULTS, they are capable of making decisions, sgood or bad, they need to be held accountable for their actions.

Also, we don't know what Goodell is doing right now, to assume he isn't considering all the options, is just being dumb.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1741019 said:
You can't punish people for what they have at their house? Tank Johnson had unregistered weapons and weed at his house, who's to say they were his, illegal as all getup and violated his probabtion? Oh right, the law. If Reed knew his kid lived with him and knew there were drugs lying around, doesn't that make him guilty? It's his house, he can tell his son to leave and take the drugs with him.

Tank was punished for weapons that were HIS. He was not punished for weed that was not his.

khiladi

Reaction score
The issue is Goodell's hypocrisy, for those defending him, when it comes down to laying down the law. People were giving no lenience to Michael Vick, including the commisioner, when it was found out that an illegal dog operation was being run outof his house. This was PRIOR to him being convicted of actually killing dogs. But when it comes to Reid....

AbeBeta

Reaction score
khiladi;1741037 said:
The issue is Goodell's hypocrisy, for those defending him, when it comes down to laying down the law. People were giving no lenience to Michael Vick, including the commisioner, when it was found out that an illegal dog operation was being run outof his house. This was PRIOR to him being convicted of actually killing dogs. But when it comes to Reid....

Goodell's hypocrisy? Vick was NOT suspended before he was linked to specific actions. So where is the inconsistency?

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
khiladi;1741037 said:
Reid's sons commited crimes, Vick committed several crimes. A horrible comparison.

Does anyone here know for certain that Reid knew about illegal drugs was kept in his house? And if he did, did he condone it or did he tried to prevent his sons from keeping it in his house?

Does anyone know for certain what he tried to do to help his sons?

Who knows the full story?

blindzebra

Reaction score
abersonc;1741041 said:
Goodell's hypocrisy? Vick was NOT suspended before he was linked to specific actions. So where is the inconsistency?

Laughable...Vick was being questioned by the league about the activities going on at his house before he was connected directly.

The hypocrisy is Reid is not being questioned, is under no threat of investigation, under no possible punishment.

Vick may have been fined or suspended had the case ended with his cousin at his house.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1741042 said:
Reid's sons commited crimes, Vick committed several crimes. A horrible comparison.

Does anyone here know for certain that Reid knew about illegal drugs was kept in his house? And if he did, did he condone it or did he tried to prevent his sons from keeping it in his house?

Does anyone know for certain what he tried to do to help his sons?

Who knows the full story?

The court went to the Reids house recently and said prescribed drags and illegal drugs were everywhere. The said it looked like a drug emporium. I'm wondering about the mothers involvement in this circus.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
abersonc;1741035 said:
Tank was punished for weapons that were HIS. He was not punished for weed that was not his.

I was under the impression that UNREGISTERED meant you had to have a receipt with his credit card info and the guns serial number or something similar to prove they were his, otherwise it was illegal because they were in his possession, iow, at his house.

If his son kidnapped someone and kept them tied up on the couch, does that absolve Reid if he doesn't do anything about it? Pretty far fetched, but so is thinking coke lines on the mirror in Andy Reids livingroom would fly.

I don't know what Goodell will do if anything, but judging by the judge's comments, something needs to be done, not just sweep it under the rug like usual.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Belichick's son, 19, arrested on marijuana charge
Oct. 30, 2006

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

WALTHAM, Mass. -- The son of New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick was placed on probation Monday for six months after being arrested on one count of marijuana possession.

The charge against Stephen Belichick, 19, will be dismissed after six months if he stays out of trouble, said Emily LaGrassa, spokeswoman for the Middlesex County District Attorney's office. Belichick had a "very, very small amount" of marijuana and had no prior record, Weston police Sgt. Danny Maguire said.

Belichick was arraigned in Waltham District Court, where the case was continued without a finding, LaGrassa said. Belichick and Jonathan Pizarro, 18, were arrested Saturday night in a parking lot, Maguire said. He said Pizarro was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute.

Team spokesman Stacey James said Bill Belichick could not immediately be reached for comment. The Patriots played a road game against the Minnesota Vikings on Monday night.