Okay, let's debate about something that is killing me

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It's a good topic for 1, their's nothing to talk about until the Combine numbers come out, and 2, we could spend big money on Kicker and C/T in FA if we don't have to get Chris Hope or someone like him.

I still think Beriault will have a chance, he showed great instincts that last game I saw him in (even though he was playing against AFL players) But you never know. And their is good value at FS in the draft in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

50cent

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
It's a good topic for 1, their's nothing to talk about until the Combine numbers come out, and 2, we could spend big money on Kicker and C/T in FA if we don't have to get Chris Hope or someone like him.

I still think Beriault will have a chance, he showed great instincts that last game I saw him in (even though he was playing against AFL players) But you never know. And their is good value at FS in the draft in the 2nd/3rd rounds.
I agree, don't count out Berry-O! He could make the move. After re-watching the Seahawks game last pre-season, he and Reese were about the same size. He has some speed and was noted as a very smart player.

ghst187

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
That's why I like Anthony Smith in the 3rd. He has instincts (6 int's) He's always in the mix.

I love Huff but I don't see him falling to us and I don't like the thought of using yet another first on the secondary.
I think Bing will fall into the second round. S's usually slide on draft day with a few exceptions of major impact players (RW, S Taylor...).
However of course, I don't think BP wants his FS to be a rookie, esp if there are good veteran FA's out there that aren't overly expensive. Like Chavous an awful lot back there.

J-DOG

Reaction score
50cent said:
The term cover safety. Everyone is advocating that we draft or sign a FS that can cover. Cover who? This is what bothers me. Playing Fs has nothing to do with coverage ability, but instincts. You won't see our Fs lining up on the LOS in front of a TE. Why? Because it forces Roy to play deep middle. If you want Roy to play to his strengths, then a so-called coverage safety is an oxi-moron. Hope is not a cover FS, he is a player that breaks on the ball in space with range. That ability alone allows Palomula to play closer to the line like we want Roy to do. Thats what we need. A player that can play in space and has range with the instincts to know where the Qb wants to go with the ball. Davis' problem is not coverage, but his lack of awareness to where NFL Qbs want to go with the ball. Biting on certain routes and letting the real target go free. Example: Kennison TD and LLoyds TD vs. SF not to mention the Carolina TD to proehl I believe.

Who is this guy? I don't know, although I'm willing to bet its a guy that has range in film study that doesn't bite to often.
Ok then let's just say we need a FS with range and ball skills.
Ball skills meaning...A player who has good ball recognition. A player who has good technique to make a play on a deep pass against fast wr's.
Dixon
Scott
Davis
Pile
Those guys are all not those qualities. They are either to slow(Dixon,Scott and Pile) or do not have the ball skills(Davis) to be effective with Roy at the other safety.
Roy is Roy. Meaning his best attribute is not running step for step with Santana Moss. Roy is most effective 20yds and in from the line of scrimmage.
That's why we really need to upgrade this area.
Woody use to line up in the slot and cover wr's. That was when he was in his prime, but he did it.
Point is ...Ed Reed was drafted 20th in the draft when he came out. Getting a true FS is not impossible but throwing a strong safety type into the FS spot is not working for us. It's our achilles heel so to speak.
Let's get someone back there that can run and move for once.