Old Timers- Cowboys 1st Superbowl win ('72) and Ditka

FrankM

Reaction score
Dallas 3 super bowl loses in the 70's where by a combined 11 pts. A 3 point lost to the Colts and a pair of 4 point loses to the Steelers.

remdak

Reaction score
Doc50, you are right, thanks. Howley did recover a fumble and had a 41 yd interception in this game. I believe that he is still the only MVP who played for a losing team (loss to Colts the year before).
Pretty amazing. Not only was Howley on the losing team, he was a defensive player. No way that could happen today. Aaron Donald could have 10 sacks in the Super Bowl, and if the Patriots win, he won't get MVP

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
First NFL game I ever watched! I was 9 years old and I bet my dad and uncle .75 cents each that the Cowboys would win. The Cowboys won, I was $1:50 richer and I’ve been a Dallas Cowboys fan ever since!:starspin:

I was 7 and bet my dad a quarter. :laugh:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I wonder if the NFL had replay back then, if we would have had our 1st SB win the prior year against Baltimore? The controversy over whether Mel Renfro tipped that pass that John Mackey caught. I think there was a Duane Thomas fumble at the goal line.

The fumble at the goal line was clearly recovered by Dave Manders but Billy Ray Smith was yelling he had it and the refs bought it.

ex-Cowboy still insists he, not Colts, had fumble

"Billy Ray Smith [Colts veteran defensive tackle] jumped on my back and started yelling, 'I've got the ball; I've got the ball.' Without hesitation, [official] Jack Fette turned and signaled, 'First down, Baltimore.'

"I handed Fette the ball. Craig Morton and I argued, but he told us, 'One more word and you two are out of the game.' "

May have generated a bit more controversy today. Cowboys would've been the first to six back in the 90s.

rags747

Reaction score
Great, great day for Cowboys fans, the Chuck Howley game. Tulane Stadium, Nawlins, Ray Scott and Pat Summerall game announcers. Still the coldest SB game, 31 d. at game time. Staubach MVP, last TD was a 7 yd. catch by none other than Mike Ditka, who later became a Landry assistant.
trivia: who popularized and brought back the shotgun formation? Landry and Ditka, for 3rd downs during 2 minute offense. Staubach thought they were insane; later called them wizards. Memory lane, fellas.
Lilly with the killer sack on Griese, Duane Thomas sweeps, N Buonacatti cutoffs, Calvin Hill even got in some SB action.

Reaction score
What a storied franchise we had....I was 7 years old at the time , great times but dont get wrong, I was in heaven during the 90's dynasty too

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Doc50, you are right, thanks. Howley did recover a fumble and had a 41 yd interception in this game. I believe that he is still the only MVP who played for a losing team (loss to Colts the year before).

Correct.

We beat them every way possible, except the score.

People thought the 'Boys were snakebit. N.O. is feelin a bit of that now.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great, great day for Cowboys fans, the Chuck Howley game. Tulane Stadium, Nawlins, Ray Scott and Pat Summerall game announcers. Still the coldest SB game, 31 d. at game time. Staubach MVP, last TD was a 7 yd. catch by none other than Mike Ditka, who later became a Landry assistant.
trivia: who popularized and brought back the shotgun formation? Landry and Ditka, for 3rd downs during 2 minute offense. Staubach thought they were insane; later called them wizards. Memory lane, fellas.
And Roger brought back the jump pass.

GenoT

Reaction score
Duane Thomas, who didn’t talk to the press most of the season, having a great day on the field and then later dissing the media and their inane questioning in the locker room on national TV.

Reporter: “You’re fast, aren’t you?”

Thomas: “Evidently.”

Priceless!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if the NFL had replay back then, if we would have had our 1st SB win the prior year against Baltimore? The controversy over whether Mel Renfro tipped that pass that John Mackey caught. I think there was a Duane Thomas fumble at the goal line.
Calvin Hill fumbled at the 1.

And that pass was tipped by a Colt, I will never not believe that. At that time, that was against the rules. Can't say if the Boys would have won that as it was a D slugfest but that should not have been a TD.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This was the first Cowboys game I ever watched. Been a diehard fan ever since.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My fondest memory of that game was the sight of George Andre rolling around on the field like a 6 year old kid after the gun sounded. A team criticized for being too businesslike and lacking emotion was acting like a bunch of Pop Warner kids winning their first game.

It was such a satisfying victory because of the choker label hanging on the Cowboys was finally gone. They'd played that bridesmaid role so much leading up to that championship but now they were Champs.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Someone wrote and recorded a parody of The Battle of New Orleans, played on radio in Dallas a lot after the victory. "It was early January and the Cowboys jet was down for their second shot at Super Bowl in old New Orleans town." I still recall quite a few of the lyrics. Exciting time.

I'm reminded again of the shame of Howley not being in the Hall of Fame. Five times first-team All Pro, once second-team. From his Wiki page...

"He was also named most valuable player of Super Bowl V, intercepting two passes and forcing a fumble in the Cowboys' 16-13 loss to the Colts, making him the first defensive player and non-quarterback to receive the honor. To date, he is also the only player from the losing team to win the award.

"The following season, Dallas made it back to Super Bowl VI, and again Howley had a great performance, recording a fumble recovery and a 41-yard interception in the Cowboys 24-3 win over the Miami Dolphins. His performance was under MVP-consideration, but quarterback Roger Staubach won the honor.[10]

"During his career, Howley's athletic ability made him one of the greatest coverage linebackers of all time, intercepting 25 passes, returning them for 399 yards and two touchdowns. He finished with more than 100 yards in interception returns for both the 1968 and 1971 seasons. He also recovered 18 fumbles, returning them for 191 yards and one touchdown. He is second in Cowboys' history with his 17 fumbles recovered. His 97-yard return of a fumble during a game against the Atlanta Falcons on October 2, 1966 is still the second longest in Cowboys history."

Magnificent player.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Bob Lilly chasing bob griese like a Great White hunting a seal.

GREAT moment....the 1st of 5 Lombardi's.

never forget that grin on Coach's face.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Someone wrote and recorded a parody of The Battle of New Orleans, played on radio in Dallas a lot after the victory. "It was early January and the Cowboys jet was down for their second shot at Super Bowl in old New Orleans town." I still recall quite a few of the lyrics. Exciting time.

I'm reminded again of the shame of Howley not being in the Hall of Fame. Five times first-team All Pro, once second-team. From his Wiki page...

"He was also named most valuable player of Super Bowl V, intercepting two passes and forcing a fumble in the Cowboys' 16-13 loss to the Colts, making him the first defensive player and non-quarterback to receive the honor. To date, he is also the only player from the losing team to win the award.

"The following season, Dallas made it back to Super Bowl VI, and again Howley had a great performance, recording a fumble recovery and a 41-yard interception in the Cowboys 24-3 win over the Miami Dolphins. His performance was under MVP-consideration, but quarterback Roger Staubach won the honor.[10]

"During his career, Howley's athletic ability made him one of the greatest coverage linebackers of all time, intercepting 25 passes, returning them for 399 yards and two touchdowns. He finished with more than 100 yards in interception returns for both the 1968 and 1971 seasons. He also recovered 18 fumbles, returning them for 191 yards and one touchdown. He is second in Cowboys' history with his 17 fumbles recovered. His 97-yard return of a fumble during a game against the Atlanta Falcons on October 2, 1966 is still the second longest in Cowboys history."

Magnificent player.

Shake 'em up, Shake loose -- Gotta get on Brad Sham or Hansen or some other mediot to push for Howley HOF.