Old Timers- Cowboys 1st Superbowl win ('72) and Ditka

IceBowler

Reaction score
Duane Thomas, who didn’t talk to the press most of the season, having a great day on the field and then later dissing the media and their inane questioning in the locker room on national TV.

Reporter: “You’re fast, aren’t you?”

Thomas: “Evidently.”

Priceless!

Another one of his quotes re: the Super Bowl, "If this is the ultimate game, how come they're gonna play it next year?

IceBowler

Reaction score
The Packers were the Team of the 60s
The Steelers were the Team of the 70s
The 49ers were the Team of the 80s ...

and EVERYONE of them had to come through Dallas.

Of course we know what happened in the 90s.

MS17

Reaction score
Another one of his quotes re: the Super Bowl, "If this is the ultimate game, how come they're gonna play it next year?
Priceless quote, so original.
I think one of the funniest quotes from that era, from left end on that first SB win v. Miami, the unforgettable Larry Cole. He scored 4 TDs in his career (3 interceptions, one fumble). There was an eleven year gap after his 3rd td, until his final year he returned an int for a TD v. the Commanders. When a reporter reminded him, he looked down and said, "Anybody can have an off decade." You cant make this stuff up, these quotes are forever.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Great, great day for Cowboys fans, the Chuck Howley game. Tulane Stadium, Nawlins, Ray Scott and Pat Summerall game announcers. Still the coldest SB game, 31 d. at game time. Staubach MVP, last TD was a 7 yd. catch by none other than Mike Ditka, who later became a Landry assistant.
trivia: who popularized and brought back the shotgun formation? Landry and Ditka, for 3rd downs during 2 minute offense. Staubach thought they were insane; later called them wizards. Memory lane, fellas.
You sure about that? I have zero recollection of the shotgun before they began using it in 1975. I suppose maybe for a few plays in some games I didnt see. Maybe they tested it

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
The Packers were the Team of the 60s
The Steelers were the Team of the 70s
The 49ers were the Team of the 80s ...

and EVERYONE of them had to come through Dallas.

Of course we know what happened in the 90s.
in the 70s the Cowboys were #1 in
wins
winning %
division titles
seasons making the playoffs
playoff games
playoff wins
conference titles

the only thing the Steelers had more of was SB wins. I know, bottom line is that gets you the title team of the decade, but whenever I hear that I always wonder were they really?

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Duane Thomas, who didn’t talk to the press most of the season, having a great day on the field and then later dissing the media and their inane questioning in the locker room on national TV.

Reporter: “You’re fast, aren’t you?”

Thomas: “Evidently.”

Priceless!
"If it's the ultimate game why are they playing it again next year" What a great talent but wasted... he could have been a HOFer.

MS17

Reaction score
You sure about that? I have zero recollection of the shotgun before they began using it in 1975. I suppose maybe for a few plays in some games I didnt see. Maybe they tested it
You have a good memory; History of the Shotgun (Wikipedia) says Landry dusted off the shotgun and used it some for the 1975 season. Reason given is that the roster was very young (dirty dozen) and they wanted to protect Roger. I think Ditka was a Dallas special assistant then. What's interesting is that even Sammy Baugh used it decades before, and old single wing teams used it.

sulu1701

Reaction score
Still the ONLY Team to Win a Super Bowl & holding the opposing team to only 3 points.
It was said that the reason the Dolphins went undefeated the next season was because Shula kept showing them the film over and over of them getting their butts kicked in the SB

sulu1701

Reaction score
Calvin Hill fumbled at the 1.

And that pass was tipped by a Colt, I will never not believe that. At that time, that was against the rules. Can't say if the Boys would have won that as it was a D slugfest but that should not have been a TD.
Bubba Smith had said that the game was so sloppily played that he refused to wear his SB ring

landroverking

Reaction score
Bubba Smith had said that the game was so sloppily played that he refused to wear his SB ring
It was Duane Thomas that fumbled. Recover made by Dave Manders and given to the Colts.
That’s all in SB V.
I think the OP was talking about SB VI

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
You see, I hardly cry for anything. This whole thread with the memories and videos made me shed tear. To see THE flagship team of the NFL, the standard, the bar, the envy of all teams. America's Team reach to the low levels we see now is really so depressing.

To me, Landry is the greatest coach of all time.

:cool: