Oliver Hoyte

PJCOWBOYS

Reaction score
That is one mean looking dude. I'd hate to get hit by him.

th_14873_OLIVER_HOYTE_122_522lo.jpg

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
PJCOWBOYS said:

On the other hand, he'd make a wonderful body guard. :)

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
PJCOWBOYS said:

Agreed. Looking at that dude makes me glad I don't play in the NFL.

PJCOWBOYS

Reaction score
http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=16091&pcid=46

Oliver Hoyte, North Carolina State – There really isn’t a middle linebacker in this draft who warrants being selected in round one. So Andy Hart and myself looked at some guys we thought would fit the Patriots system and would be available in the middle rounds. What we discovered is a player who could end up being an absolute steal in this year’s draft.

When we watched Hoyte on tape, we were shocked. I thought I was looking at a first round draft pick. This guy made play after play and not only when we were watching him, but also when we watched other North Carolina State players like Mario Williams and Manny Lawson. Every time we watched tape of a Wolfpack player, Hoyte stood out.

At 250 pounds, Hoyte has the size the Patriots like in their linebackers and he hits like a ton of bricks. He’s not only a big hitter, however, he’s a great tackler. A lot of players can hit (Darnell Bing) but they don’t wrap up and tackle. When Hoyte tackles someone he pops them, wraps up and drives the player back. He’s the best tackler I saw at the linebacker position and that includes Hawk. Hoyte is a very physical player with a mean streak to him. He’s kind of like Rodney Harrison playing linebacker.

Hoyte showed over and over again on tape that he has the ability to shed blocks and make plays. He makes a lot of tackles in the backfield and seems to always be around the ball. Like I said, if you watched the footage of Hoyte that we saw and didn’t know where he was supposed to be drafted, you would think he was projected to go in the first or second round.

The negatives with Hoyte are said to be his speed and the fact that he benefited from playing with a great supporting cast in college but I would debate both arguments. Hoyte proved to me that he’s a football player and a leader on the field.

He may not have blazing speed but he has football smarts that allows him to be in a spot before the play gets there. I think timed speed is overrated when it comes to middle linebackers because they usually play in a short area. Ted Johnson and Tedy Bruschi never had blazing speed but they worked out okay.

As far as playing with a great supporting cast, can’t you say the same thing about Manny Lawson? What about John McCargo? These are first and second round prospects but maybe they excelled in college because they played on the same line as Mario Williams. I think downgrading a guy because he played on a good defense is idiotic. He made a lot of plays on that defense so Hoyte must have had something to do with its success.

Besides, if Hoyte comes to New England, he’ll have a pretty good supporting cast around him here as well. I just think it’s a shallow argument. USC had a great offensive line and another productive back on their team but it’s not hurting Reggie Bush’s draft stock at all. I’m not going to penalize Hoyte because he played on a good college defense with other great players.

There was a report earlier this week that new Patriots defensive coordinator Dean Pees was very impressed with Hoyte when he met with him and that doesn’t surprise me at all. This guy is one of the most underrated prospects in the draft and in my opinion, the best player at his position. His leadership, intelligence on the field, physical style of play and mean streak all make him a great candidate to become a Patriot on draft day.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
PJCOWBOYS said:

Parcells: "Jerry, we're cutting Hoyte. Go tell him."

Jerry: "Heck no. You tell him yourself. That sum***** scares me."

Parcells: "I don't know the player that well."

Jerry: "Stephen, you do it."

Stephen: "No way I'm telling that guy he's gone. What about you, Zim?"

Zimmer: "I'm sorry, I've got to go wash my socks."

Parcells: "Crap, let's just keep him."

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Chief said:

:laugh2:

:bow:

Nice!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
PJCOWBOYS said:
http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=16091&pcid=46

Oliver Hoyte, North Carolina State – There really isn’t a middle linebacker in this draft who warrants being selected in round one. So Andy Hart and myself looked at some guys we thought would fit the Patriots system and would be available in the middle rounds. What we discovered is a player who could end up being an absolute steal in this year’s draft.

When we watched Hoyte on tape, we were shocked. I thought I was looking at a first round draft pick. This guy made play after play and not only when we were watching him, but also when we watched other North Carolina State players like Mario Williams and Manny Lawson. Every time we watched tape of a Wolfpack player, Hoyte stood out.

At 250 pounds, Hoyte has the size the Patriots like in their linebackers and he hits like a ton of bricks. He’s not only a big hitter, however, he’s a great tackler. A lot of players can hit (Darnell Bing) but they don’t wrap up and tackle. When Hoyte tackles someone he pops them, wraps up and drives the player back. He’s the best tackler I saw at the linebacker position and that includes Hawk. Hoyte is a very physical player with a mean streak to him. He’s kind of like Rodney Harrison playing linebacker.

Hoyte showed over and over again on tape that he has the ability to shed blocks and make plays. He makes a lot of tackles in the backfield and seems to always be around the ball. Like I said, if you watched the footage of Hoyte that we saw and didn’t know where he was supposed to be drafted, you would think he was projected to go in the first or second round.

The negatives with Hoyte are said to be his speed and the fact that he benefited from playing with a great supporting cast in college but I would debate both arguments. Hoyte proved to me that he’s a football player and a leader on the field.

He may not have blazing speed but he has football smarts that allows him to be in a spot before the play gets there. I think timed speed is overrated when it comes to middle linebackers because they usually play in a short area. Ted Johnson and Tedy Bruschi never had blazing speed but they worked out okay.

As far as playing with a great supporting cast, can’t you say the same thing about Manny Lawson? What about John McCargo? These are first and second round prospects but maybe they excelled in college because they played on the same line as Mario Williams. I think downgrading a guy because he played on a good defense is idiotic. He made a lot of plays on that defense so Hoyte must have had something to do with its success.

Besides, if Hoyte comes to New England, he’ll have a pretty good supporting cast around him here as well. I just think it’s a shallow argument. USC had a great offensive line and another productive back on their team but it’s not hurting Reggie Bush’s draft stock at all. I’m not going to penalize Hoyte because he played on a good college defense with other great players.

There was a report earlier this week that new Patriots defensive coordinator Dean Pees was very impressed with Hoyte when he met with him and that doesn’t surprise me at all. This guy is one of the most underrated prospects in the draft and in my opinion, the best player at his position. His leadership, intelligence on the field, physical style of play and mean streak all make him a great candidate to become a Patriot on draft day.

If he's really this good, then we have another steal on our hands. IMO, you just can't have too many players like this on your team. Mean streak, big, tough, nasty, and instictive. He'll help us wear out other teams by the end of games.

I was glad when we picked him up after the draft and I'm even more glad now. I thought we had lost him to Minn... but I was really glad when we ended up with him. IMO, he's a better fit for a 3-4 anyway and his lack of speed would be more of a liability in a 4-3 and his great size would be less of a plus in a 4-3. I think he made the right decision in coming to Dallas.

Here's to Ireland and Bill and their terrific personnel decisions...:beer2:

Juljonesfan

Reaction score
doomsday81 said:
How sweet it is. After hours of breaking down film and ranking Hoyte as one of the top three ILB's in the draft, I'm a little giddy today after finding out Hoyte is still on the roster. I took quite a bit of ribbing from the fans of my team after he wasn't drafted and feel quite vindicated today. Some of you are much closer to the Cowboys than I am so do you think my boy will stick for good and should I keep my big trap shut for a while before I tell people to kiss where the sun doesn't shine?

Yes, The Patriots were very interested in the player. Good call.

rojan

Reaction score
doomsday81 said:
How sweet it is. After hours of breaking down film and ranking Hoyte as one of the top three ILB's in the draft, I'm a little giddy today after finding out Hoyte is still on the roster. I took quite a bit of ribbing from the fans of my team after he wasn't drafted and feel quite vindicated today. Some of you are much closer to the Cowboys than I am so do you think my boy will stick for good and should I keep my big trap shut for a while before I tell people to kiss where the sun doesn't shine?

How is it going Doomsday81, long time no chat.

ya im allso siked that he was kept on the team, I heard he was a really good college player but fell out of the draft becuase of his 40 time.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Chief said:

Parcells: Have that intern Parch something tell him. :D

doomsday81

Reaction score
rojan said:
How is it going Doomsday81, long time no chat.

ya im allso siked that he was kept on the team, I heard he was a really good college player but fell out of the draft becuase of his 40 time.

Yes, he ran slow but he plays faster than he runs on a track. I'm not saying he's the fastest player in the world but his instincts make up for his lack of 40 time because he reads plays quickly and fills the hole before the blocker can get to him. I saw a lot of that on tape. That's why when people told me he was slow, I didn't know what they meant because in the confines of a football game, he doesn't look slow at all. And by the way, that picture that is being shown is not a misrepresentation of his attitude. Hoyte is one mean mother on the football field and he hits like he hates the entire world. If Hoyte and #31 ever get together on a receiver going over the middle, you can say goodnight to whoever that poor ******* happens to be.

rojan

Reaction score
doomsday81 said:
Yes, he ran slow but he plays faster than he runs on a track. I'm not saying he's the fastest player in the world but his instincts make up for his lack of 40 time because he reads plays quickly and fills the hole before the blocker can get to him. I saw a lot of that on tape. That's why when people told me he was slow, I didn't know what they meant because in the confines of a football game, he doesn't look slow at all. And by the way, that picture that is being shown is not a misrepresentation of his attitude. Hoyte is one mean mother on the football field and he hits like he hates the entire world. If Hoyte and #31 ever get together on a receiver going over the middle, you can say goodnight to whoever that poor ******* happens to be.

Thats Sweet. Im gonna take your word for it becuase you have not let me down yet.

Our LBing crop is going to be off the hook.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Chief said:

:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :bow:
*mental note* Don't drink while reading Chief's post.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
doomsday81 said:

Slow football players don't make a lot of special team tackles especially on kick offs.

Also, "slow recognition" is the leading contributor to defensive player playing slow in the context of a game. It appears Hoyt's instincts will serve him well in the NFL just like it did when he was playing college ball. Great news for us.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
doomsday81 said:

the reason Hoyte made the team IMO, is special teams, AND...he's a big, powerful guy who could play the RILB position perfectly if all accounts are correct, that he takes on blocks very well, and is an excellent tackler, the LILB is the guy who runs sideline-to-sideline, thus he would need to be a pretty fast guy, not so for the RILB position, and who we have no viable backups outside of him and Fowler, and since him and Fowler are pretty much the same player, who ultimately stays will depend on who keeps picking up the nuances of the position, which Fowler has a head-start on, obviously, and the future potential, which if you are correct, Hoyte has the upper-hand, it's going to be a tough battle between the 2, and props for your prediction

Common Sense

Reaction score
Nope. I've been to the Ranch a couple of times, but never registered or posted.

sf49rh8r

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I wonder why we kept 9 LBs, so I think one of them could be on the trading block. I think that's because Hoyte flat out impressed the team. I liked Glymph, and I think he could end up on the PS. Hoyte won't.

I agree...I really liked Glymph also. I hope we are able to keep him on the PS. But I doubt it. I'm sure he'll get picked up quickly.

9R H8R in Paradise

AbeBeta

Reaction score
doomsday81 said:

wow. your #3 overall made the final cut but wasn't drafted. amazing. how many ILBs ranked lower made rosters?

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
doomsday81 said:
If Hoyte and #31 ever get together on a receiver going over the middle, you can say goodnight to whoever that poor ******* happens to be.
I love it!