OL's lazy effort to blame for Zeke's running the second half of the season

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
The entire OL needs to give Zeke 10% of their paychecks for their weak and lazy effort in the run game in the second half of the season.

I don’t care if you can’t go to they Cowboys weight-room due to protocols, do some push-ups and benches at home. Go ride the bike for 10 miles, but please stop being a fat lazy bum.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And then Zeke has to give them back 50% of his paycheck for them earning him 90m$.

Team game man.
True, but it starts with the Oline. This Oline has been very bad with the run this year in many games. When both Zeke and Pollard struggle to gain yards or fail to convert 3rd & 1s (or 4th & 1s), that falls squarely on the Oline.

khiladi

Reaction score
True, but it starts with the Oline. This Oline has been very bad with the run this year in many games. When both Zeke and Pollard struggle to gain yards or fail to convert 3rd & 1s (or 4th & 1s), that falls squarely on the Oline.

Most of our problems on third and long. Going into November, we were 32nd in third and longs, meaning when our offense was playing it’s best, our ‘elite’ QB was fielding an offense that was the worst in third and longs.

Going into November, we fielded the second worst third down conversion rate, not just on third and longs. In essence, that seems to indicate we became more inefficient on first and second doen.

Over the last three games, the Dallas Cowboys are second worst in the NFL in third down conversion rate. Less than 25% of their third downs are being converted. Both Detroit and the New York Giants have been better than Dallas. Let that sink in for a second.

Saying our OL is on the level of Detroit and NY is completely nonsensical. Further, half of Dallas attempts going into December started teaching three and outs.

Besides converting less than a quarter of their attempts, the Dallas Cowboys have gone three-and-out 46.2% of the time. That’s nearly half of their opportunities. And their yardage and time of possession have dropped accordingly as well. It’s really no wonder why we’re seeing the scoring output decline.

https://sportdfw.com/2021/12/09/dallas-cowboys-issues-on-3rd-down-are-easily-fixable/

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Most of our problems on third and long. Going into November, we were 32nd in third and longs, meaning when our offense was playing it’s best, our ‘elite’ QB was fielding an offense that was the worst in third and longs.

Going into November, we fielded the second worst third down conversion rate, not just on third and longs. In essence, that seems to indicate we became more inefficient on first and second doen.

Saying our OL is on the level of Detroit and NY is completely nonsensical. Further, half of Dallas attempts going into December started teaching three and outs.

https://sportdfw.com/2021/12/09/dallas-cowboys-issues-on-3rd-down-are-easily-fixable/
Great article! I totally agree.

Use what works......the pass. Use the pass early and often to open up the run on delays, counters or especially the edge.

Forcing the run up the middle when clearly it's not working due to this Oline struggling to create holes is only leading to 3 & outs, thus failed drives and no points on the board. This also affects our Defense by keeping them on the field too much and tiring them out.

Kellen Moore has been messing up. He needs to unleash the pass early and often, plus with early strikes instead of deep developing plays that take too long, thus allowing opposing Defenses to get to Dak. That will help open up the running game. It's all because of this struggling Oline.

This Oline will not get fixed until at least next year, that's if the Cowboys get rid of Joe Philbin. For the meantime, they need to rely on the pass early and often to help this struggling Oline and lack of running attack.

glimmerman

Reaction score
To me it’s the O-Line coach. He don’t have them ready. They are undisciplined. To many penalties. No reason for it..

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
To me it’s the O-Line coach. He don’t have them ready. They are undisciplined. To many penalties. No reason for it..
Seeing as they all know what does and does not constitute a penalty, it seems wrong to me to blame the coach. I don't blame Charles Manson's parents for his transgressions, because I'm sure they taught him that murder is wrong. (In truth, I could be mistaken. Maybe they taught him how to kill friends and influence people.)

The OL coach teaches them how to block (which they all once knew how to do), and he teaches them what "holding", "illegal man downfield", "chop blocks", "false starts", etc. are. I personally can't find myself blaming him when they do it anyway.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I have plenty of Cowboys games and I went back to 2016 the other night. And let me tell you watching Zeke was completely different from what I've seen the past few years. For starters he was noticeably at a lighter weight. And he had speed, stop-start quickness, and explosion. It's sad how much his game has eroded, but we have to remember running backs typically have a short shelf life in the NFL. The Emmitt Smith's, Ladainian Tomlinson's, and Adrian Peterson's are the exception to the rule.

Running back is traditionally a here today, gone tomorrow business and the Cowboys made a huge mistake giving Zeke that huge contract. We can blame the line all we want as well as Zeke's nagging injuries. But he's in steep decline. Just watch his 83 yard touchdown reception against Pittsburgh his rookie year, with over 70 yards after the catch, and you'll see what I mean.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The OL needs to be addressed in the offseason it’s not very good. We need to find a replacement for Tyron. I’m not sold on Terrence Steele and neither Connor is consistent.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
The entire OL needs to give Zeke 10% of their paychecks for their weak and lazy effort in the run game in the second half of the season.

I don’t care if you can’t go to they Cowboys weight-room due to protocols, do some push-ups and benches at home. Go ride the bike for 10 miles, but please stop being a fat lazy bum.

Pollard has not problems with the OL.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Seeing as they all know what does and does not constitute a penalty, it seems wrong to me to blame the coach. I don't blame Charles Manson's parents for his transgressions, because I'm sure they taught him that murder is wrong. (In truth, I could be mistaken. Maybe they taught him how to kill friends and influence people.)

The OL coach teaches them how to block (which they all once knew how to do), and he teaches them what "holding", "illegal man downfield", "chop blocks", "false starts", etc. are. I personally can't find myself blaming him when they do it anyway.
You remember a guy named alexander. Was JG buddy from the bengals. He let our O-Line coach go and didn’t reup his contract. Well look who had to be fired at the bye week because he sucked and wanted things done his way. All the coaches do. Of course they know how to block because they were one of the best. Now these same players are not. Hhmm. When players that have played at a high level continue to come out flat then you need to look at the people in charge of coaching and getting them ready.. I am pretty sure manson is not coaching this O-Line. If he was maybe he could scare them into playing better..

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I just think its really unfair that the O line only blocks for Pollard who has one of the highest YPC and lowest negative run percentages in the NFL. The fact that they completely stop run blocking when Zeke comes in is a crime.

Seriously, its ridiculous. I mean sure, when Pollard is running you only have to hold the block for a second or so and with Zeke its more like an hour but what else are they going to do? Are they busy? Just keep blocking and pushing on NFL defenders forever as Zeke slowly moseys up to the line. Anything else is completely unfair.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Dude has about zero room to speak. Plenty of RBs have less than stellar OL. You don’t take a RB in the first round if he requires perfect OL play to succeed.

He’s paid to be a top RB regardless of all other factors. He is not. Injury or whatever, he moves like molasses compared to Pollard.

glimmerman

Reaction score

I want to let you know I respect your post. And what your trying to say. But bro our O-Line is playing sloppy.. But I am seeing some ref work also.. Notice the longest plays are being called back. Maybe they are true holding calls but strange that Pollards long run was called back for a hold and same with Elliot. I bet if you look back at long runs by rb in the league you see the same things not called. We are looked at in the run game because we are the run game..