OL's lazy effort to blame for Zeke's running the second half of the season

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
He does on the plays he goes up the middle.
Against Arizona:
Zeke up the middle: 4 yards, -1 yard, -1 yard
Pollard up the middle: no gain, 5 yards, 4 yards

Zeke: 3 rushes for 2 yards.
Pollard: 3 rushes for 9 yards.

I wish they had RB splits that showed stats per running direction because I think it would show Pollard up the middle isn’t as bad as many believe.

rynochop

Reaction score
I know Pollard is out, but I don't see the sense in giving zeke more than 10 carries

DandyDon52

Reaction score
True, but it starts with the Oline. This Oline has been very bad with the run this year in many games. When both Zeke and Pollard struggle to gain yards or fail to convert 3rd & 1s (or 4th & 1s), that falls squarely on the Oline.
no it is on the coaching and the RB and his vision
cowboys and other teams have poor blocking schemes, poor play design which affects whether the rb has a hole, or can even get out of backfield .
poor vision also is a factor, or maybe they are told to run into a pile lol I dont know.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Against Arizona:
Zeke up the middle: 4 yards, -1 yard, -1 yard
Pollard up the middle: no gain, 5 yards, 4 yards

Zeke: 3 rushes for 2 yards.
Pollard: 3 rushes for 9 yards.

I wish they had RB splits that showed stats per running direction because I think it would show Pollard up the middle isn’t as bad as many believe.
So all up the middle. It’s the same every game. If it’s a off tackle run or a toss or pitch then it’s a good run. They have to be holding back for payoffs or Moore is just that dumb..

coult44

Reaction score
Pollard doesn’t seem to have problems running well behind it.

Except he get 2-3 plays in a row and checks himself out because he’s tired. Or he allows his QB to get blown up because he won’t block.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
no it is on the coaching and the RB and his vision
cowboys and other teams have poor blocking schemes, poor play design which affects whether the rb has a hole, or can even get out of backfield .
poor vision also is a factor, or maybe they are told to run into a pile lol I dont know.
Also could be true. Agreed.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Except he get 2-3 plays in a row and checks himself out because he’s tired. Or he allows his QB to get blown up because he won’t block.

Oh look.. The guy who see’s Pollard miss 1 or 2 blocks the entire season and ignores the million other good blocks as well as having no clue that teams really haven’t blitzed us lately because everyone is focused on Dak because Zeke has been so bad.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
To me it’s the O-Line coach. He don’t have them ready. They are undisciplined. To many penalties. No reason for it..

I believe the reason is fairly easy to identify.. They don't drive block. When you drive block you fire out into your man and try to put him on roller skates.. Our running game blocking is almost exclusively zone blocking which means instead of firing out our guys stand up and slide step one way or the other. The theory is that this allows them to pick up any defender from any gap.. The problem with it is that if a DC is clever enough to overload a gap there will always be an unblocked defender waiting for your running back to take the handoff. If the offensive lineman sees it his natural reaction is going to be... drum roll please.. reach out with his hands.. which leads to.. cymbal/high hat.. "HOLDING.. offense.. 10 yard penalty.. repeat first down.." The other ploy DCs are using to stuff our running game is going 5 down linemen which forces our tight ends to have to block DEs/OLBs either backside or play side. Either way, they are failing more than they are succeeding in those assignments. And yes.. ALL of this falls on the o line coach.. who has been a bitter disappointment to me.. With all this talent up front and two talented backs there is no excuse for this not being a top 5 rushing team..

glimmerman

Reaction score
I believe the reason is fairly easy to identify.. They don't drive block. When you drive block you fire out into your man and try to put him on roller skates.. Our running game blocking is almost exclusively zone blocking which means instead of firing out our guys stand up and slide step one way or the other. The theory is that this allows them to pick up any defender from any gap.. The problem with it is that if a DC is clever enough to overload a gap there will always be an unblocked defender waiting for your running back to take the handoff. If the offensive lineman sees it his natural reaction is going to be... drum roll please.. reach out with his hands.. which leads to.. cymbal/high hat.. "HOLDING.. offense.. 10 yard penalty.. repeat first down.." The other ploy DCs are using to stuff our running game is going 5 down linemen which forces our tight ends to have to block DEs/OLBs either backside or play side. Either way, they are failing more than they are succeeding in those assignments. And yes.. ALL of this falls on the o line coach.. who has been a bitter disappointment to me.. With all this talent up front and two talented backs there is no excuse for this not being a top 5 rushing team..
It’s a power block. Zone blocking is for passing. They hang in the trenches and absorbs the pressure. Our coach sucks..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It’s a power block. Zone blocking is for passing. They hang in the trenches and absorbs the pressure. Our coach sucks..

Yeah.. and every time I see it I reach up to pull out some hair.. Fortunately I don't have any.. I mean there are some teams that execute zone blocking well.. but I think all the shuffling along the line robbed them of some that ability. Because to do it well requires your 5 guys up front to be very much in sync and ours have been anything but that this year. I gave Philbin a mulligan for 2020.. because.. well .. 2020... but to have pretty much a repeat this year is unacceptable. Then to have Moore continue to call the same largely unsuccessful runs up the gut just seals it. Please Jacksonville hire this dude..

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yeah.. and every time I see it I reach up to pull out some hair.. Fortunately I don't have any.. I mean there are some teams that execute zone blocking well.. but I think all the shuffling along the line robbed them of some that ability. Because to do it well requires your 5 guys up front to be very much in sync and ours have been anything but that this year. I gave Philbin a mulligan for 2020.. because.. well .. 2020... but to have pretty much a repeat this year is unacceptable. Then to have Moore continue to call the same largely unsuccessful runs up the gut just seals it. Please Jacksonville hire this dude..
When properly coached this O-Line could do either very well.. But now they can’t even do one..

MajesticRey

Reaction score
And then Zeke has to give them back 50% of his paycheck for them earning him 90m$.

Team game man.

Well Frederick is gone, so only Smith and Martin should get that. The other OLs are serviceable but nowhere near deserving praise.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I would like to see what Pollard could do behind a good offensive line.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Well Frederick is gone, so only Smith and Martin should get that. The other OLs are serviceable but nowhere near deserving praise.

But that’s my point. When the Oline is awesome, Zeke does better and gets paid more, but doesn’t share.

When the Oline is doing not as good, Zeke is not doing as good and they need to share their money? What kind of double standard is that