OMG!, Felix Jones only 8 reps

J-DOG

Reaction score
Not a smart decision to lift if you are only going to do 8 reps.
I still think Chris Johnson is the perfect guy to go along with Marion at rb.
He didn't lift but at least he did not hurt his value either.
Chris Johnson can return kicks-both kickoffs and punts and has speed to burn. Can catch out of the backfield also. I think Chris Johnson would be a big upgrade over a Julius Jones who was really the 2nd rb for us last year in all practical purposes.
Chris Johnson
Jamaal Charles
Both of these guys have a similar skill set and plenty of speed. The one knock on both of these guys was fumbles...but both got better as this last season went along.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
J-DOG;1967143 said:
Not a smart decision to lift if you are only going to do 8 reps.
I still think Chris Johnson is the perfect guy to go along with Marion at rb.
He didn't lift but at least he did not hurt his value either.
Chris Johnson can return kicks-both kickoffs and punts and has speed to burn. Can catch out of the backfield also. I think Chris Johnson would be a big upgrade over a Julius Jones who was really the 2nd rb for us last year in all practical purposes.
Chris Johnson
Jamaal Charles
Both of these guys have a similar skill set and plenty of speed. The one knock on both of these guys was fumbles...but both got better as this last season went along.

I think Felix faced better competition than Chris Johnson.

I'm hoping for Charles or Rice myself.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Well, that should at least lay to rest the 'rumours' or projections of using one of those 1st rounders on him, eh?

8 reps???...Wow :lmao:

J-DOG

Reaction score
TheCount;1967148 said:
I think Felix faced better competition than Chris Johnson.

I'm hoping for Charles or Rice myself.
Yes Felix did face better competition but when you are evaluating rb's you have to look at the film. I see Chris Johnson as a better overall rb than Felix Jones is.
Johnson was the feature rb and did it all for a East Carolina team and was unstoppable in thier bowl game.

Pabst

Reaction score
8 reps does seem pretty weak... But, to be honest, I'm not that concerned about it.

Now, what does he squat? That means much more. Having impressive stiff arms are nice and all, but they don't make or break a runner. See: Greg Jones.

The blocking is a concern, of course. But if this makes him fall to round 2, I'd be more than happy, assuming the rest of his Combine/Pro Day goes well.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
and mario manningham ran i believe a 4.61 today, so he sucks also.

people put way too much into stats.

Pabst

Reaction score
Errr, NFL Network has Felix Jones down as a "DNP" under the Bench Press.

Are we sure that website is reliable?

burmafrd

Reaction score
These guys already had question marks and this makes it worse.

the big thing about not being strong in the upper body is that you will be run over in picking up blitzes. And that is CRITICAL anymore in the NFL.
Especially when you have a pro bowl QB.

Bull Frog

Reaction score
Pabst;1967306 said:
Errr, NFL Network has Felix Jones down as a "DNP" under the Bench Press.

Are we sure that website is reliable?

I just saw that too.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Good thing the football weighs less than a pound huh? Too much is made out of the bench press...especially for the "skill" positions.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;1967226 said:
and mario manningham ran i believe a 4.61 today, so he sucks also.

people put way too much into stats.

And some people way overvalue Big slow WR's;)

MCowboys

Reaction score
Does anyone else remember how many reps Reggie Bush did? I'm pretty sure it was 24. How has that "strength" worked out for him? Bench press is very minor for a RB, especially a speed back.

gbrittain

Reaction score
If Emmitt had been judged by the measurables, I doubt he would have even been a first round pick.

Can he play or can't he play?

burmafrd

Reaction score
No one is saying he cannot play; but 8 reps vs mid 20's is a HUGE disparity and if you discount THAT you would be foolish as a NFL GM and Coach. What this does is surely drop him probably out of the last part of the first rd down to the second rd.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Jonathon Stewart is looking like a complete beast. He is shooting up the draft boards at the moment.

Most bench press reps
&
Highest vertical right now.

J-DOG

Reaction score
air0208;1967357 said:
Jonathon Stewart is looking like a complete beast. He is shooting up the draft boards at the moment.

Most bench press reps
&
Highest vertical right now.
And he has good production as a college rb.
Some of these guys are combine freaks who come out of nowhere to show great speed,strength and vertical but do not show up on tape.
Stewart has both going for him.

scottsp

Reaction score
I would not get too enamored or disappointed with anything going on at the underwear/dork olympics this weekend.

Some items are valid baseline for comparison between prospects, but reps and straight line speed just aren't the primary evaluation to me.

Felix can play.