On June 22, 2017 Derek Carr was signed a 5-year $125m contract extension

Bigdog

Reaction score
I would not mind Dak signing a deal like Jimmy G’s deal that includes inflation. From what I have read and heard on local sports talk radio out here in the Bay Area is that Jimmy G’s deal is basically a yearly deal that the Niners can get out of without much cap implications if he is cut. I’ll take that deal for Dak but I highly doubt he would do it.

Swanny

Reaction score
Been over this with the Dak trolls. They simply dont get it.
I don't think it's being a Dak troll. It's simply Dak is not worth it. I would rather draft a QB than sign him to a $35 million a year contract. Now I hope Dak proves himself this year and proves me wrong. I hope he proves to be a top 10 QB in the NFL. If he proves it then yes sign him to whatever the heck he wants.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Or maybe he comes back to earth this year.
That's going to be interesting. Stats wise he has to be worse than last year. But he can really improve his game and it won't show up in stats. That's one of the most intriguing things to see this year. How he plays in his sophomore year.

There are other reasons the objectors object
What are the reasons?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I would not mind Dak signing a deal like Jimmy G’s deal that includes inflation. From what I have read and heard on local sports talk radio out here in the Bay Area is that Jimmy G’s deal is basically a yearly deal that the Niners can get out of without much cap implications if he is cut. I’ll take that deal for Dak but I highly doubt he would do it.
I think that's probably what's being offered to him. No security.

Proof

Reaction score
I think you're missing the point in general but, just for the sake of debate...

Mahomes, Watson, Goff, Mayfield, Darnold, Newton, and Cousins are all eligible for extensions or expire after next season. They're all going to get a bigger contract than Dak regardless of what number he gets. That's not even counting guys like Jameis or Mariota, who will absolutely cash in if they have big years.

I’m not missing anything, I’m disagreeing.
And mayfield and darnold aren’t due for another 3 years at the least. I’m curious to see what Cousins market is. Bottom line is that having guys that are better than you beat your deal doesn’t make it a value or reasonable.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I think that's probably what's being offered to him. No security.
Ok. I think Jimmy G had 70 million guaranteed but most of that has been paid already and if he is cut the cap hit is 2.8 mil in 2020, 1.6 million in 2021, and 1.4 million in 2022 towards the Niners. I forgot that the Niners has tons of cap space to already pay the guarantee part of his contract. I understand that Dak wants security. Don’t blame him. Just hope something can work fairly for both sides.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I’m not missing anything, I’m disagreeing.
And mayfield and darnold aren’t due for another 3 years at the least. I’m curious to see what Cousins market is. Bottom line is that having guys that are better than you beat your deal doesn’t make it a value or reasonable.
No. They can hold out after next season, just as Zeke is doing this year. They will be wildly underpaid by the time their third seasons are up.

Your bottom line is the exact opposite of how the quarterback market works.

Verdict

Reaction score
.............Derek Carr was signed a five-year, $125 million contract extension with $70 million in total guarantees which made him the highest paid player in the NFL.

Did Derek Carr's agent come to the table and say his client was the best quarterback in the league and deserved to be the highest paid player in the league? Of course not. But they knew the power of inflation. They knew that the higher the salary cap got the higher the salary of quarterbacks would get.

So where do you think that contract ranks just 2 years later?

1. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $35 million
2. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $34 million
3. Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million
4. Eagles QB Carson Wentz: $32 million
5. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million
6. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $28 million
7. 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5 million
8. Lions QB Matthew Stafford: $27 millio
9. Raiders QB Derek Carr: $25 million

So in just TWO YEARS........Derek Carr went from being the highest paid quarterback in the league to #9. And actually with the Tom Brady extension he may actually be #10 if I'm not mistaken.

So what's my point? I'm sure its obvious to many. Dak may sign a contract that makes him top 3 highest paid but with guys like Goff, Mariota, Winston, Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, etc. coming up in the next couple of years? That deal won't even be top 10 especially if you factor in the veterans who will need new deal coming up.

To be fair, when Carr signed his extension he was playing the best ball of his career and his arrow was pointing up. He had the potential to be a top 5 QB.

I like Dak. I want him to be a Cowboy. I don’t know which direction his arrow is pointing to be honest. I would not be surprised if he turns out to be a top tier QB. I really wouldn’t.

On the other hand, I could also see his play be mediocre, to put it kindly. Was Carr worth his contract, probably not. But it looks more in line now.

Crawford’s contract was a bad contract. If we could undo it would we? Inflation didn’t make it a good contract after the fact.

Dak’s Contract could be a back breaker if we guess wrong on it.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Always has been?

Matt Ryan actually went through a sophomore
Slump very similar to the slump Dak went through.

Ryan has been playing at MVP levels lately yes. But he also has 7 more years of experience than Dak. He has gotten better over his career.
No, no, no - that's impossible.

Quarterbacks don't develop after 2-3 years. I heard it on the Zone.

Proof

Reaction score
No. They can hold out after next season, just as Zeke is doing this year. They will be wildly underpaid by the time their third seasons are up.

Your bottom line is the exact opposite of how the quarterback market works.

no they can’t. This is zekes fourth season. They are both in their second and they can’t be extended until after their third seasons. And I understand how the qb market works, what I’m saying to you is that if I pay more for a nicer house than yours, yours is not a steal now. In four years if Josh Allen is making 40 million and Dak is making 35 maybe then it won’t seem so unreasonable. He will also likely be due for another new contract lol

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
To be fair, when Carr signed his extension he was playing the best ball of his career and his arrow was pointing up. He had the potential to be a top 5 QB.

I like Dak. I want him to be a Cowboy. I don’t know which direction his arrow is pointing to be honest. I would not be surprised if he turns out to be a top tier QB. I really wouldn’t.

On the other hand, I could also see his play be mediocre, to put it kindly. Was Carr worth his contract, probably not. But it looks more in line now.

Crawford’s contract was a bad contract. If we could undo it would we? Inflation didn’t make it a good contract after the fact.

Dak’s Contract could be a back breaker if we guess wrong on it.

I'm not arguing against Carr getting the deal he got. I understand why he got it. It was based on potential. But we can all sit here that there was never a point where Carr was the best quarterback in the league. And that's what he was paid as. But my point was the deal he signed even him falling off as bad as he has doesn't look nearly as bad. He's getting paid about what the average franchise qb is getting. And that deal hasn't proven to be back breaking. Raiders suck yeah but its not because of his deal.

GMO415

Reaction score
Uh ok....values change. Aikman signed as the highest paid at his time too...$50 million.

Proof

Reaction score
I'm not arguing against Carr getting the deal he got. I understand why he got it. It was based on potential. But we can all sit here that there was never a point where Carr was the best quarterback in the league. And that's what he was paid as. But my point was the deal he signed even him falling off as bad as he has doesn't look nearly as bad. He's getting paid about what the average franchise qb is getting. And that deal hasn't proven to be back breaking. Raiders suck yeah but its not because of his deal.

I think the biggest issue now is the Big Ben and Russ deals. There’s really not an argument to be made that dak should be paid more (or even the same) as either of them.