On June 22, 2017 Derek Carr was signed a 5-year $125m contract extension

exciter

Reaction score
.............Derek Carr was signed a five-year, $125 million contract extension with $70 million in total guarantees which made him the highest paid player in the NFL.

Did Derek Carr's agent come to the table and say his client was the best quarterback in the league and deserved to be the highest paid player in the league? Of course not. But they knew the power of inflation. They knew that the higher the salary cap got the higher the salary of quarterbacks would get.

So where do you think that contract ranks just 2 years later?

1. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $35 million
2. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $34 million
3. Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million
4. Eagles QB Carson Wentz: $32 million
5. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million
6. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $28 million
7. 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5 million
8. Lions QB Matthew Stafford: $27 millio
9. Raiders QB Derek Carr: $25 million

So in just TWO YEARS........Derek Carr went from being the highest paid quarterback in the league to #9. And actually with the Tom Brady extension he may actually be #10 if I'm not mistaken.

So what's my point? I'm sure its obvious to many. Dak may sign a contract that makes him top 3 highest paid but with guys like Goff, Mariota, Winston, Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, etc. coming up in the next couple of years? That deal won't even be top 10 especially if you factor in the veterans who will need new deal coming up.
So join the raiders who have been a laughing stock for years in making dumb contract decisions!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So join the raiders who have been a laughing stock for years in making dumb contract decisions!

Alright so let me spell it out a little simpler. Basically I'm saying paying 32 million now isn't going to look like 32 million in 2 or 3 years when guys are making 40+ million.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think the biggest issue now is the Big Ben and Russ deals. There’s really not an argument to be made that dak should be paid more (or even the same) as either of them.
Well I agree on Russ since he's still in the prime of his career. Big Ben is still a very solid starter but he already contemplated retirement just a year ago. Dak's age works in his favor over Roethlisberger. You aren't signing Big Ben to a 4 or 5 year deal.
That's not how football works.

Yeah it does. You play like a MVP your team usually wins more games than they lose regardless of defense. The real MVP candidates at quarterback last season all made the post season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Seems like dissenting opinions are not welcome here. You two carry on with the lovefest.
I think dissenting opinion are welcome. Just baseless dumb ones aren't. Which they usually would be but seems with Dak he gets a increase of stupidity from the trolls here. If you aren't a troll though you aren't the one being referenced.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
I think dissenting opinion are welcome. Just baseless dumb ones aren't. Which they usually would be but seems with Dak he gets a increase of stupidity from the trolls here. If you aren't a troll though you aren't the one being referenced.

There are QBs drafted every year that give you what Dak gives you. We just need to gather as many assets as possible assets and prepare to move up on the draft. You've got 3 years.

Most of those teams on your top 10 QB contracts are going to struggle to compete at the top specifically because of those contracts. And Dak isn't better than any of them except maybe Carr. I'd still take Carr at 25 than Dak at 35.

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
All I know is the numbers for these players are just getting ridiculous real quick. Imagine what Mahommes is going to get.
Why do fans always rant about players salaries.But never question about what the owners make. Jerry Jones purchashed a 250mil yacht. Everyone just said wow. Dak ask for 40mil everyone loses their minds including the team he plays for...smh

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
.............Derek Carr was signed a five-year, $125 million contract extension with $70 million in total guarantees which made him the highest paid player in the NFL.

Did Derek Carr's agent come to the table and say his client was the best quarterback in the league and deserved to be the highest paid player in the league? Of course not. But they knew the power of inflation. They knew that the higher the salary cap got the higher the salary of quarterbacks would get.

So in just TWO YEARS........Derek Carr went from being the highest paid quarterback in the league to #9. And actually with the Tom Brady extension he may actually be #10 if I'm not mistaken.

So what's my point? I'm sure its obvious to many. Dak may sign a contract that makes him top 3 highest paid but with guys like Goff, Mariota, Winston, Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, etc. coming up in the next couple of years? That deal won't even be top 10 especially if you factor in the veterans who will need new deal coming up.

Oh, Rosy, just give Dak $50 mil a year and be done worth it. I hope you sleep better.:muttley:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There are QBs drafted every year that give you what Dak gives you. We just need to gather as many assets as possible assets and prepare to move up on the draft. You've got 3 years.

Most of those teams on your top 10 QB contracts are going to struggle to compete at the top specifically because of those contracts. And Dak isn't better than any of them except maybe Carr. I'd still take Carr at 25 than Dak at 35.
Well where are they? Where are the QB's drafted every year that gives you what Dak gives you? Especially in the 4th round? Because last season....Baker Mayfield gave you what Dak gives you.......I can't say the same about Sam Darnold, Allen or Rosen though. Those were all 1st round picks btw.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
no they can’t. This is zekes fourth season. They are both in their second and they can’t be extended until after their third seasons. And I understand how the qb market works, what I’m saying to you is that if I pay more for a nicer house than yours, yours is not a steal now. In four years if Josh Allen is making 40 million and Dak is making 35 maybe then it won’t seem so unreasonable. He will also likely be due for another new contract lol
....this is after Zeke's third season. I said after next year, which would put them where Zeke is right now.

I didn't say Dak is or will be a steal. You're hung up on things like "deserves" and "unreasonable." What I'm saying is that those things don't matter because your perspective on them doesn't align with how the quarterback market actually works. Being a worse player doesn't mean that the quarterback is going to make less money.

MyUserName

Reaction score
Been over this with the Dak trolls. They simply dont get it.
Dak trolls are actually those who think he's worth starting QB $$ to begin with...he isn't even Cam Newton caliber, let alone Aaron Rodgers.

Those of us who actually "get it" understand that hamstringing to a mediocre talent at a critical position isn't getting us back to the SB anytime soon. Best to let him go and test the market. I'd rather pull Tony Romo out of retirement for a year than get stuck with a bum for the next 5-6 years.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Well where are they? Where are the QB's drafted every year that gives you what Dak gives you? Especially in the 4th round? Because last season....Baker Mayfield gave you what Dak gives you.......I can't say the same about Sam Darnold, Allen or Rosen though. Those were all 1st round picks btw.

Disagree on Darnold and Allen. I'd trade Dak for Kyler Murray today. Even Daniel Jones looks to be able to give you league average. I guess that's where we differ is where you see Dak among the elite. I don't think he sniffs elite. You probably thought Dak played great in the 2nd Eagles game last year.

Proof

Reaction score
....this is after Zeke's third season. I said after next year, which would put them where Zeke is right now.

I didn't say Dak is or will be a steal. You're hung up on things like "deserves" and "unreasonable." What I'm saying is that those things don't matter because your perspective on them doesn't align with how the quarterback market actually works. Being a worse player doesn't mean that the quarterback is going to make less money.

Uhh. So we agree that they aren’t even eligible to be extended for another two years. And that’s just eligible. So me saying in 2-3 years was accurate. Thank you. And yes, I have a weird habit of getting hung up on the words I used when defending the points I made. I know it’s odd, just a quirk of mine that keeps me consistent. Again with the qb market stuff, I wholly understand how it works, and accept it. It doesn’t make it any more palatable though and knowing that if/when dak is grossly overpaid, someone else will be too at some point (or for a handful of the young qbs after him paid respective of their abilities ) doesn’t make it any less worrisome

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Disagree on Darnold and Allen. I'd trade Dak for Kyler Murray today. Even Daniel Jones looks to be able to give you league average. I guess that's where we differ is where you see Dak among the elite. I don't think he sniffs elite. You probably thought Dak played great in the 2nd Eagles game last year.
Elite never ONCE came out of my mouth. When you guys don't have a leg to stand on you come up with the "Oh so you must think Dak is elite" type comments. I never once said Dak was elite and if I did show me proof.

But you are right. We differ in where we see Dak. You haven't seen Kyler Murray or Daniel Jones play in a NFL game yet aside from both looking decent in preseason game #1 and that was enough for you to say they are better than Dak. See I don't process NFL quarterbacking like that.

And what on earth did Darnold and Allen give you that Dak doesn't? If you don't like Dak that is fine. I understand that people want a 6'6 guy who can throw 100 yards and throw darts from the pocket. But at least be honest with yourself. Dak at worse is a top 15 qb in this league and no one right now is saying that about Daniel Jones, Darnold or Allen. Kyler Murray may get that respect now.

TheGoat73

Reaction score

Dak is no where near a top 10 NFL player though. I’m confused his this is relevant to him?

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Why do fans always rant about players salaries.But never question about what the owners make. Jerry Jones purchashed a 250mil yacht. Everyone just said wow. Dak ask for 40mil everyone loses their minds including the team he plays for...smh

What a dumb *** comment...Jerry Jones isn't limited by a salary cap, but this franchise is.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Yeah it does. You play like a MVP your team usually wins more games than they lose regardless of defense. The real MVP candidates at quarterback last season all made the post season.
No...it's not. There is a difference between playing like an MVP and being a candidate. Being a candidate is dependant on the entire team...just like success in the game of football. But you've long demonstrated you are clueless on the subject and the concept is beyond your intellectual capabilities.

ICP

Reaction score
And Carr has proven to NOT be worth whst he got. I'm still on the fence with Dak but I'm much more inclined to say he's average than he's worth top 5 money. The main problem here is you have three players that basically have Dallas bent over the proverbial barrel as it were, especially Dak and Cooper. Funny that the most talented (Zeke) is the one that theoretically could be the easiest to replace.