On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
World War One was over with.

As a history buff, I never really connected with the war and its ramifications until the last few years.

Now I understand that WW2 was really WW1-part 2. And many of the problems we have today go back to what happened as a result of WW1.

One of the great things being done is how film shot during that time period is being modernized with color and correct pacing so folks are not moving around like Charlie Chaplin.

Here's a great example:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate to admit I don't know a whole lot about the history of it, other then I know I wouldn't have wanted to be an infantry soldier in a trench

I think part of the challenge for us being born in the US is that in the grand scheme for Americans is that WW2 greatly overshadows WW1 for several reasons, but maybe the biggest is that the country wasn't involved in WW1 for a long period of time. In addition there were far fewer Americans involved in the war (that being said it can be argued that America's participation greatly helped end the thing).

Finally as I stated in the OP, the images and movies from WW1 make the conflict seem much further away in history than what it actually did (there's only 21 years that separate the ending of WW1 with the beginning of WW2).

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think part of the challenge for us being born in the US is that in the grand scheme for Americans is that WW2 greatly overshadows WW1 for several reasons, but maybe the biggest is that the country wasn't involved in WW1 for a long period of time. In addition there were far fewer Americans involved in the war (that being said it can be argued that America's participation greatly helped end the thing).

Finally as I stated in the OP, the images and movies from WW1 make the conflict seem much further away in history than what it actually did (there's only 21 years that separate the ending of WW1 with the beginning of WW2).
I went on to watch the video about the Battle of Midway. I'm not a fan of war history (or most history, tbh) but that video was very interesting.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@MichaelWinicki You know any good documentaries on Prime or Netflix? I've had The Untold History of the United States on my playlist but haven't gotten to it yet.

There are several out there... None really heads & shoulders above the others.

What aspect of the war are you interested in?

If you're interested in a "big" view of the war that doesn't get bogged down in nitty-gritty details of individual battles but covers some of the political over-tones of the war I'd recommend the book "Crowns in the Gutter"...

Chrispierce

Reaction score

As a history buff, I never really connected with the war and its ramifications until the last few years.

Now I understand that WW2 was really WW1-part 2. And many of the problems we have today go back to what happened as a result of WW1.

One of the great things being done is how film shot during that time period is being modernized with color and correct pacing so folks are not moving around like Charlie Chaplin.

Here's a great example:

That’s awesome what he did. I mean that’s seriously groundbreaking. Not only did he and his staff add voices,but he changed the rate of frame to a normal hand crank to bring it to life. The possibilities I see with this technology is fantastic. Very impressed.

Vomit

Reaction score

Here's a great example:

Really cool. And you are spot on correct. WW2 was the direct result of the disastrous peace of Versailles which basically blamed Germany for the war.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really cool. And you are spot on correct. WW2 was the direct result of the disastrous peace of Versailles which basically blamed Germany for the war.

And you look at the problems in the Middle East, the good & bad (much of it bad) that came with the USSR, the problems in the Baltics... All goes back to WW1.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
It is amazing. Hats off to those folks.
Yeah,so I just found out it’s only about the British and Commonwealth. That’s a bummer. Kinda like to see all the main patrons. See what the avg German and French guys are doing and saying. “Pierre....are you writing your uncle? Tell him his wife’s cheesecake was the best one yet...and from now on to hide the liquor behind the the barn under the steps...yes,yes,he will know the place I mean.”

Jimbo69

Reaction score
Versailles was flawed, but it was undermined by both the victors and the vanquished from the start. Germany was to blame for ww1, they signed the " blank cheque" to the Austrians which set off the war. Germany took a gamble on a quick war and lost, she was to repeat the same mistake twenty five years later.
Two great books on ww1 are margaret macmillans -the war that ended peace, which looks at each countries position leading up to the start of hostilities and the reasons war broke out ( it was a political book of the year) and 1914-18 by David Stephenson which covers the war and the aftermath, including the reasons versailles failed and the inevitable lead up to ww2.