On The Clock: Zach Allen

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
IMO, he's gone long before 58 but whatever. To be honest, I don't really see it in Allen. I mean, there is no question that a lot of NFL teams like him but why?

Take a guy like Ominehu, who is not nearly regarded as highly, why is Allen regarded so highly?

Physically, Allen is:

6'4" 281 lbs., 5.0 forty, 32" vert, 112" broad, 7.34 3cone, 4.36 twenty.

Physically, Ominehu is:

6'5" 280 lbs., 4.92 forty, 36.5" vert, 115" broad, 7.48 3cone, 4.36 twenty.

Over each players career, Allen has the better career stats but if you look at last year, keep in mind that both are SRs, Allen hand more tackles but Ominehu had more sacks and tackles for loss. I mean, I don't understand why Allen is viewed so much more highly then is Omenihu. I think Omenihu could be a 4th round pick or lower, possibly.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I feel like Allen is the low-floor, medium-ceiling guy. A lot like Crawford, good citizen (until the recent video thing) hard worker, solid player, can play several spots. Would be surprised if he busted, would also be surprised if he went to multiple pro-bowls.

DanA

Reaction score
IMO, he's gone long before 58 but whatever. To be honest, I don't really see it in Allen. I mean, there is no question that a lot of NFL teams like him but why?

Take a guy like Ominehu, who is not nearly regarded as highly, why is Allen regarded so highly?

Physically, Allen is:

Physically, Ominehu is:

Over each players career, Allen has the better career stats but if you look at last year, keep in mind that both are SRs, Allen hand more tackles but Ominehu had more sacks and tackles for loss. I mean, I don't understand why Allen is viewed so much more highly then is Omenihu. I think Omenihu could be a 4th round pick or lower, possibly.

I have both guys going between 50-100 in the draft.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Physically, Allen is:

Physically, Ominehu is:

CBS has Allen ranked #53 and Omenihu ranked #82. NFL.com has similar rankings for both.

#53 = R2-21

#82 = R3-18

The draft media rankings are often a bit low on players that were not as productive in the previous college season as they were in their final season.

This issue is even more pronounced with Seniors because the media likely spent time evaluating them as Juniors in case they declared then.

Aren't you a UT fan?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
CBS has Allen ranked #53 and Omenihu ranked #82. NFL.com has similar rankings for both.

#53 = R2-21

#82 = R3-18

The draft media rankings are often a bit low on players that were not as productive in the previous college season as they were in their final season.

This issue is even more pronounced with Seniors because the media likely spent time evaluating them as Juniors in case they declared then.

Aren't you a UT fan?

I am, yes. This is why it's so crazy to me that each of these players are ranked so differently. Honestly, I think I'd probably wait and take a kid like Ominehu, over Allen. I don't see all that much difference in either player with the one possible exception of ceiling. I think that the ceiling on Ominehu might have a chance to be a little bit higher. He didn't start as a DL at Texas. He was actually a back when he first showed up on the 40 Acres. He's had less time at actually being a finished product, while Allen is actually a Red Shirt Sr. so there is that. But other then that, I don't think they are really all that much different on the face of it.

Beaker42

Reaction score

#53 = R2-21

#82 = R3-18

Aren't you a UT fan?
I put Ferguson and Omenihu in the same group of 2nd-tier pass rushers but give the nod to Ferguson. Just not all that impressed w/ Omenihu.

RamziD

Reaction score
I am, yes. This is why it's so crazy to me that each of these players are ranked so differently. Honestly, I think I'd probably wait and take a kid like Ominehu, over Allen. I don't see all that much difference in either player with the one possible exception of ceiling. I think that the ceiling on Ominehu might have a chance to be a little bit higher. He didn't start as a DL at Texas. He was actually a back when he first showed up on the 40 Acres. He's had less time at actually being a finished product, while Allen is actually a Red Shirt Sr. so there is that. But other then that, I don't think they are really all that much different on the face of it.

I think Omenihu is a DE prospect, whether 4-3 or put on a little weight to be 3-4 DE. Allen probably gets time at 3T, so different positions. Also, Omenihu was never at any point a running back, think you’re confusing him with some of our other RB-turned-DL players.

Flamma

Reaction score
My hope would be to trade up somewhat for a better lineman or just go with Thornhill at 58 and then Omenihu in the 3rd over Allen at 58. Not that he'll be there.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I really like Allen's game: hand-fighting, strength, recognition and motor. I couldn't even get thru a game watching the guy from UT, he's ok just not my cup of tea.

As for Allen at 58, he would be fine because he'd be a 3Tech, more than likely. However, I like bigger DTs and 58 may be the only spot to get a starter level S with DAL draft position.

kskboys

Reaction score
One year wonder.

I really believe that's all they have against him.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think Omenihu is a DE prospect, whether 4-3 or put on a little weight to be 3-4 DE. Allen probably gets time at 3T, so different positions. Also, Omenihu was never at any point a running back, think you’re confusing him with some of our other RB-turned-DL players.
He is, though he did line up all over UT's line, including DT.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I like Allen, just not sure about 58.

I’d make him a 3rd round target. Less athletic, more productive Crawford type prospect.

Beaker42

Reaction score
My hope would be to trade up somewhat for a better lineman or just go with Thornhill at 58 and then Omenihu in the 3rd over Allen at 58. Not that he'll be there.
You lost me at “and then Omenihu in the 3rd over Allen 58 (pretty sure you mean 90). Allen is twice the prospect Omenihu is.