on the hiring of assistants before HC

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
silverbear;1336982 said:
Seriously, Jerry would have to be incredibly stupid to fall back into those bad ol' habits... do you think he's that stupid??

Jerry has done many stupid things over the years, and with his ego I would not be shocked it he did more.
I don't think he does them on purpose, I do not question he does things with the best intentions.

And he got nowhere fast doing it that way... which is precisely why he brought Parcells in and ceded the bulk of the authority to him... most important, doing so WORKED, it got the Boys moving in the right direction again...

He also said he would never pay a high price for another Kicker because of Vandy. He has also been on record that if he hired another coach they would have to stick with the 3-4. I also would not be shocked if the next HC here does not get even close to the money that he shelled out for Bill.

So, do you really think that Jerry can't figure that out too??

I may not give Jerry enough credit, however I am also not willing to give him TOO much credit.

I thought about that for about 2 seconds, and came up with the answer I offered above... honestly, I'm not really worried about that at all...

I will think about it, at least somewhat, until I see the results.

Rather, I truly think Jerry's just looking for a caretaker, a short term answer so that he can after the "name" coach he craves for his team next season... I refer, of course, to Bill Cowher... of course, if that short term answer comes in and wins it all (or gets close to winning it all), that might change the master plan...

Could be and I will not rule that out.

Honestly I hope everything does work out with Garrett. We could have a young coach who may grow with this team and do great things.

But until I see the results those thoughts will still be in the back of my mind.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Doomsday;1337029 said:
Uhh one problem with that theory. Are you really going to tell me that it will be that much harder to put a staff together next week? I mean really, if Jerry put all his time and energy into finding a head coach instead of interviewing coordinators it could be a done deal in the next few days and the new coach could have input on building his staff. You cant tell me that a few days this late in the game is going to make that big of a difference.

no, none at all. what was i thinking? bp is god and we should all just fold up the shop and put the cowboys in the closet for awhile because no one will ever be able to pull us out of this nosedive we're now in now that parcells has left the building.

sorry, i won't buy into that extreme line of thought either.

give it time - see what happens and go from there.

or knee jerk around and cry doom and gloom. i had my share of anti-bp times so i guess it's all biorhythems in our life of ups and downs.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Doomsday;1337029 said:
Uhh one problem with that theory. Are you really going to tell me that it will be that much harder to put a staff together next week? I mean really, if Jerry put all his time and energy into finding a head coach instead of interviewing coordinators it could be a done deal in the next few days and the new coach could have input on building his staff. You cant tell me that a few days this late in the game is going to make that big of a difference.

for hiring asst coaches, yeah it is...because every other team has their HC hired...alot of teams have been making changes since the day after the season is over

David

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
dbair1967;1337173 said:
for hiring asst coaches, yeah it is...because every other team has their HC hired...alot of teams have been making changes since the day after the season is over

David

and as the senior bowl goes on and the season comes to an end, *this* is the time coaches are granted interviews with other teams and most the shuffling is done. maybe jerry *is* putting the cart before the horse *again*.

or maybe he has learned more than most give "jerrah" (that's so clever how people make fun of his name in a condecending fashion - it takes me back to the yesteryears of elementary school all over again and reminds me of how i wasted my milk money on milk) credit for and he's doing what he can in this "unique" situation.

in either event, to either extreme - we can't say for sure "right now" what will happen and which direction we'll go from here.

unless you loved parcells and hate jones then we're DOA and we'll never win again. (but at least the draft is more fun then). if you hate BP you feel at least the opportunity for better days is ahead of us now and you can be optimistic after 2 1/2 - 3 years of "i know this won't work" frustrations. yea, i had a lot of those and yea, i was darn vocal about it. but i was right, we'd not win with parcells and we'd never win a playoff game with him as our coach.

*this* is why i want to wait and see what we do - as i waited to see what bp would do and in his 1st year, i thought we had something going on - then he reverted to "old school" and all his long lost buddies were coming to dallas to show the young'uns how it was done.

people may already have their mind made up either way - but i'm gonna sit back, see what we do, research some of the choices that are actually made, listen to the talk here and elsewhere, and THEN based on how the things go in camp and to start the season start to figure out how these moves will play out.

it just seems like the right way to go to me.

kjsm5

Reaction score
dbair1967;1336888 said:
alot of you are going off the deep end, assuming the worst and that "Jones is forcing coaches on a new HC" etc etc

1) if you will remember back to earlier in the season, Jones himself said the reason some of the current assistants (specifically Zimmer) had not received contract extensions was because in the event Parcells wasnt the HC any longer, JONES wanted the new HC to be able to pick his own people

2) its almost February, every other HC opening has been filled and alot, if not most of those spots on those staffs have been filled...teams out of the playoffs have been adjusting their staffs too...the fact of the matter is it was going to be awfully hard for ANY new HC to hire a complete staff himself...in the case of Garrett (assuming he isnt the HC) Jones probably saw one of the last talented offensive guys out there, and wanted to get him while he could...this was probably relayed to the people Jones feels are his top HC candidates, and signed off on

3) no matter who the new HC is, this years staff is NOT going to be compltely new...some of Parcells' assistants will be here, and it will probably be after next season before a complete new staff is hired to the new coaches liking

4) finally, who do you guys want a new HC to fill his staff with? unemployed people or all college coaches? because thats all thats available

alot of you need to chill and quit expecting the worst...you might end up pleasantly surprised

David
Go get 'em , Look at the recent splashes of the past. Kubiak was much more heralded than Payton when each was hired. Who would you take now? I think we all want Phillips for his work of the 3-4, but how many of us had a caveat for a dynamic oc if Phillips was hc? Garrett is exciting at least. What would be more painful, to take a chance on him and fail or to pass on him and have him succeed elsewhere. He would be inheriting a pretty good team, take the chance Jerry!

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1336892 said:
Positive vibes from a normally negative person.

Ok...I am getting my fur coat on lay away as hell is going to freeze over soon.

Just Kidding David.

I thought it did.Didn't Arizona get snow?

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
dbair1967;1336901 said:
I'm actually one of the more optimistic people there is when it comes to this team...its just that I saw things in what was going on that led me to believe we were going nowhere...too many games like the last month of December to my liking...keeping Zimmer after switcing to the 3-4...going with Vinny and the "best chance to win" non sense in 2004...4 straight yrs of December collapse

I was thrilled when we got Parcells by the way

I see the coaching change as a breath of fresh air and hope for 2007 and beyond

David

Fast forward to December 2007, DBair posts will be like:

Dumb Garrett, what a ******, couldn't QB worth a crap and can't coach either

Jones needs another facelift

Bowles is worse than Zimmy wuss

:laugh2: